Football Question

LongJim

During the holiday weekend while I was watching football, a penalty was assessed for 'illegal block in the back'.

My dear wife asked the following question, which I was at a loss to find a good answer for:

"If you can tackle someone from behind, why can't you block someone from behind? Doesn't make sense."

Any opinions/reasons?

When trying to tackle somebody you can hit them in the back, hold on to their jersey... pretty much anything goes except closelining and facemasking (I think even pulling them down by their hair is legal in the NFL. Larry Johnson of the Chiefs was flagged not for pulling down troy polamula by the hair, but for grabbing his hair on the way up).

You can't tackle someone while blocking them, plain and simple. You can't hold them and you can't hit them in the back. If you did you'd see much better blocking and a lot more punt returns going for touchdowns. Since the offense knows the play they're running (assuming this isn't a Dickey coached team), this can help the defense equilize the advantage.

Edited by Mean'n'Green07

During the holiday weekend while I was watching football, a penalty was assessed for 'illegal block in the back'. 

My dear wife asked the following question, which I was at a loss to find a good answer for:

"If you can tackle someone from behind, why can't you block someone from behind?  Doesn't make sense."

Any opinions/reasons?

I would think that one reason is because a person making a tackle is defenseless from behind. Whereas, someone running the ball isn't unless he stops, which your taught not to do.

Anyone who has played football will tell you that most times when you take a play off and don't go full speed is the most likely time you will get hurt. I think this simple unwritten rule would apply to the question above.

Rick

--CODE OF THE WEST: Don't shoot (block) someone in the back.

---Rick is correct, it is a safety issue. A running-back is likely moving forward anyway and is less likely to get hurt than someone who may be practically standing still and would likely be injured (legs, back) if hit from behind. Besides the RB is expecting to be "hit" and is prepared for impact from any direction at any time and will protect himself somewhat, a lineman and other person may not be, and can do little to help himself and prevent injury.

---Rick is correct, it is a safety issue.  A running-back is likely moving forward anyway and is less likely to get hurt than someone who may be practically standing still and would likely be injured  (legs, back) if hit from behind.  Besides the RB is expecting to be "hit" and is prepared for impact from any direction  at any time and will protect himself somewhat, a lineman and other person may not be, and can do little to help himself and prevent injury.

Naw, I understand and agree with you guys. She just didn't really buy that explanation, so I went the "advantage" route. tongue.gif

BTW, I was out in Abilene last week, Screamin' Eag. Catfish Corner has good onion rings. cool.gif