Mattress Mac's Houston Chronicle Ad against Texans

FireFightnJoey

So, he did something very similar in Houston when the Texan's passed on Vince Young in the NFL draft. He ended up placing the ad.

from the Houston Chronicle:

...Jim McIngvale, owner of Gallery Furniture and one of the Texans' most prominent corporate sponsors, hasn't written in, but he's not a bit bashful about sharing his thoughts. A former Longhorn who was at the Rose Bowl for the BCS championship game, McIngvale said he doesn't know Frost but noted they're kindred spirits. McIngvale is in the process of buying a two-page ad to run in Thursday's Chronicle.

"My point of view on Vince is real simple," said the man known as "Mattress Mack." "I saw what he did against USC, and for me, it's kind of like the gospel at church last Sunday. When Thomas stuck his hand on Jesus' side, he believed. Well, I believe in Vince."

McIngvale and his wife, Linda, also own Westside Tennis Club and were responsible for bringing the ATP Tour back to Houston six years ago. He compared Young to tennis champion Pete Sampras.

"Vince is the Pete Sampras of football," he said. "He steps up in the big moments. And he's a Houston kid on top of that. How do you pass him up?"

The view from I-45

McIngvale was speaking from his customary post at the front desk of his store on Interstate 45, where a replay of Texas' dramatic win over Bush and the Trojans can be seen repeating on the sea of TVs for sale. Young scored the winning touchdown on a fourth-down keeper in the final moments, having led the Longhorns back from 12 points behind with six minutes to play.

"I'm watching No. 10 right now," McIngvale said. "He just keeps getting better. They all tell me Reggie Bush is so great. USC's got 12 guys going to go play in the pros. Texas has five. Tell me who made his team better. Hello?".....

...McIngvale speaks as both a fan and a corporate sponsor. Asked if the Texans' choosing Bush will impact his future business relationship with the team, he replied: "It darn sure ain't going to help it. I'm a marketing guy. I think Vince would be over the top for them. I don't want to go through another year like last year when I basically threw my money away.

"I'm obligated for a couple more years, and I'm big on fulfilling my commitment. But ongoing I've got to take a look at it because regardless of the football implications, (drafting Young) would at least double the value of my sponsorship overnight."

Told how McIngvale felt, Frost said: "Good for him."...

----Expertise in one field does not mean expertise in another another. Sometimes success to go peoples head and make them think they are something they aren't.

---Ask Tom Cruise -- who thinks he is an expert on everything but never set foot in a college classroom. Sometimes I am am shocked how dumb some folks appear when they appear on Leno, Letterman or some show where they have no "script". .... reality and image doesn't fit too well.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

to be sure, he donates a lot of money to a lot of charities, events, etc... I believe he also provided A&M with their tennis courts. He is a terrific marketer, business man, and philanthropist (which kind of goes back to marketing wink.gif ). He understands that anytime he gets himself in the news, its a few more times the name Gallery Furniture gets read by millions of readers.

Growing up here, I always liked him. He has just gotten on my nerves the last year with all his newspaper ads on his opinions of what he thinks football teams he "supports" should do. Especially now that it is North Texas. I respect his right to have an opinion, and I love that he made the donation- it is greatly appreciated- and I think they ought to name the field after DD per his request.

The notion that he knows what is best for NT as an accomplished furniture salesman in Houston rather than RV as an AD of the University is somewhat difficult for me to wrap my mind around.

Printing up an ad in the paper for the next 5 years wont change the fact that of Dickey's 40 something wins (in 9 years), ~30 came against the worst teams (at the time) in Div 1A football, the sunbelt conference. It doesnt change the fact that despite all the percieved success of winning 4 straight conference championships, recruiting hasnt improved, people in the US (and people from Texas) still dont even know that we are a Div 1 program, we still get blown out by lousy teams, and he still never got a look from other institutions as a HC.

You can spin that however you like, but the job wasnt getting done.

to be sure, he donates a lot of money to a lot of charities, events, etc... I believe he also provided A&M with their tennis courts. He is a terrific marketer, business man, and philanthropist (which kind of goes back to marketing  wink.gif ). He understands that anytime he gets himself in the news, its a few more times the name Gallery Furniture gets read by millions of readers.

Growing up here, I always liked him. He has just gotten on my nerves the last year with all his newspaper ads on his opinions of what he thinks football teams he "supports" should do. Especially now that it is North Texas. I respect his right to have an opinion, and I love that he made the donation- it is greatly appreciated- and I think they ought to name the field after DD per his request.

The notion that he knows what is best for NT as an accomplished furniture salesman in Houston rather than RV as an AD of the University is somewhat difficult for me to wrap my mind around.

Printing up an ad in the paper for the next 5 years wont change the fact that of Dickey's 40 something wins (in 9 years), ~30 came against the worst teams (at the time) in Div 1A football, the sunbelt conference. It doesnt change the fact that despite all the percieved success of winning 4 straight conference championships, recruiting hasnt improved, people in the US (and people from Texas) still dont even know that we are a Div 1 program, we still get blown out by lousy teams, and he still never got a look from other institutions as a HC.

You can spin that however you like, but the job wasnt getting done.

Well, supposedly Idaho was somewhat interested in him... blink.gif

I've been in Houston almost two years and find his commercials annoying, but he is obviously successful in the furniture business.  I would hope his true personality is different from "Mattress Mac."

I had the misfortune of being part of a marketing presentation to the man once and could not have walked away less impressed.

He pouted as we recapped customer feedback to him and asked "how the f^& he was supposed to please everyone" and also berated members of his own staff. An intern showed up late and MM made it a mission to make him feel like crap when he walked in and again at the end.

After the presentation wrapped up, he asked the kid what feedback he had for the group. When the kid said nothing, he responded, "yeah, that's what I f'n thought."

I've hard so many good things about the man and was excited to meet him, but walked away with an impression that has always stuck with me.

The weird part is so many others who met him swear by his character. Maybe he's a great guy other times, but he just seemed like (with apologies to Black Schole's invisible daughter laugh.gif) a world-class douchebag that day.

Mac was right about Vince Young. Vince may not necessarily have been the best pro prospect, but he would have been the best selection for the Texans.

Not since Heisman winner Earl Campbell was signed by the Oilers has a Houston pro football team had a serious following outside the gulf region.

Vince would have solidified a statewide following, and they could've traded Carr for draft picks and solidified the lines.