Anyone going to UNC-Charlotte game?

NCMeanGreen

I was just wondering if any of the local Mean Green fans were going to the UNC-Charlotte game? This will be my first game this season...but I will be going to the Tulsa game as well. Kind of excited about this season!!! smile.gif

I hope to see some other Mean Green fans there...

I don't know how familiar you are with UNC-Charlotte, but in the infancy of their program they referred to themselves as the Mean Green. One of our music alums was the band director, so their fight song very similar to ours. I don't know if that has changed. I think that they now call themselves the 49ers, which is derived from interstate 49 that goes through Charlotte.

I had looked forward to going, but unfortunately will not be able to attend.

One minor correction to the band director statement. Their band director is not from UNT, but several of the music faculty are, including the chairman of the nusic department, Royce Lumpkin.

When I was in school, Royce conducted the second and third bands, then called the campus bands. Maurice McAdow conducted the top band which was called the concert band. Perhaps that is what you were recalling?

Is UNCC supposed to be the "Miners" or the "Zombies?" "Must...Eat...Brains...."

Is this the battle for the title "Mean Green?"

nah, it was just some marketing material from 1980 after our final four appearance. We've always been the 49ers with a miner as a mascot because of the Charlotte gold rush.

Edited by NinerMarcushe