DD Press Conference

chrisfisher

I just listened to yesterday's DD press conference. DD sounded a little sick (coughing often). DD discussed Wilson's strengths and weaknesses, most of which I agreed with. DD also said definitively, we will have 2 QB's play at Tulsa. Overall, it was a good press conference.

Two comments concerned me though:

1. DD said Matt Phillips really hasn't played that bad. He said Matt makes few errors, but just hasn't been able to move the ball. Huh? What kind of criteria is this? We can't win ball games if we don't move the ball. WE WANT TO WIN GAMES. I can't take another 2-9 season.

2. DD said that they select QB's based on each QB's strengths that will give us the best chance to win, as well as which QB shows he can MOVE THE CHAINS. Huh? I didn't realize there was any question. If anyone forgot, here are the season stats (not sure why Matt is listed as 3 games played):

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillips, Matt 3 70.40 19-8-0 42.1 64 0 33 21.3

Wilson, Woody 2 190.07 16-13-0 81.2 168 1 33 84.0

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wilson, Woody 2 17 95 26 69 4.1 1 33 34.5

Phillips, Matt 3 2 0 23 -23 -11.5 0 0 -7.7

TOTAL OFFENSE G Plays Rush Pass Total Avg/G

----------------------------------------------

Wilson, Woody 2 33 69 168 237 118.5

Phillips, Matt 3 21 -23 64 41 13.7

I am not trying to dog DD or Matt Phillips. In fact, I was on the Matt train before Woody came around. I just get irritated when I hear the coach say something that does not stand up to the FACTS. I know Wilson is young, needs to learn alot, will make tons of mistakes, and will probably get hurt at some point. But, right now he is our best hope of a winning season. DD, LET WOODY PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME UNLESS HE REALLY SCREWS UP.

Edited by chrisfisher

I just listened to yesterday's DD press conference. DD sounded a little sick (coughing often). DD discussed Wilson's strengths and weaknesses, most of which I agreed with.  DD also said definitively, we will have 2 QB's play at Tulsa.  Overall, it was a good press conference.

Two comments concerned me though:

1. DD said Matt Phillips really hasn't played that bad. He said Matt makes few errors, but just hasn't been able to move the ball.  Huh? What kind of criteria is this? We can't win ball games if we don't move the ball. WE WANT TO WIN GAMES. I can't take another 2-9 season.

2. DD said that they select QB's based on each QB's strengths that will give us the best chance to win, as well as which QB shows he can MOVE THE CHAINS. Huh? I didn't realize there was any question. If anyone forgot, here are the season stats (not sure why Matt is listed as 3 games played):

PASSING        GP  Effic  Att-Cmp-Int  Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillips, Matt      3  70.40    19-8-0      42.1  64  0  33  21.3

Wilson, Woody    2  190.07  16-13-0    81.2  168  1    33  84.0

RUSHING        GP  Att Gain Loss  Net  Avg  TD Long Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wilson, Woody    2  17  95  26  69  4.1    1  33  34.5

Phillips, Matt      3    2    0  23  -23 -11.5  0    0  -7.7

TOTAL OFFENSE  G Plays Rush Pass Total Avg/G

----------------------------------------------

Wilson, Woody    2    33  69  168  237 118.5

Phillips, Matt        3    21  -23  64    41  13.7

I am not trying to dog DD or Matt Phillips.  In fact, I was on the Matt train before Woody came around.  I just get irritated when I hear the coach say something that does not stand up to the FACTS.  I know Wilson is young, needs to learn alot, will make tons of mistakes, and will probably get hurt at some point. But, right now he is our best hope of a winning season. DD, LET WOODY PLAY THE ENTIRE GAME UNLESS HE REALLY SCREWS UP.

Sorry, the sub-heading should have read: Matt Phillips Hasn't Played That Bad.

1. Relax a little, Woody is starting. cool.gif

2. Refrain from in depth research when DD comments about personnel or you may need to schedule a session with a psychatrist:rolleyes:

hehe... your right.. I seem to be sleeping and studying alot less since I joined the forum blink.gif Matt has had 13 yards net offense from these 2 games. This is disturbing to hear that coach believes he hasn't played "that bad."

Edited by chrisfisher

I agree with Dickey.. Phillips did pretty good during the SMU game.  I am not going to knock on his performance. It was only overshadowed by Wilson's.

I agree. When I re-watched the game Matt looked alot sharper! But no points though.

Edited by chrisfisher

hehe... your right.. I seem to be sleeping and studying alot less since I joined the forum  blink.gif  Matt has had 13 yards net offense from these 2 games. This is disturbing to hear that coach believes he hasn't played "that bad."

sorry.. Mad had 64, not 13, net offensive yards.

Phillips is a very good QB there is no question about that. We just don't have the O-Line for his style play. We need a QB that can move and make something happen. If we had the O-Line of Scott Hall's years I think Phillips would put up better numbers than Hall, but the sad fact is we don't which is why Wilson will and has performed better. The same goes for J-Mo. Our O-Line is improving but it still nothing compared to the one anchored by Brewster. J-Mo needs more holes if he wants to put up the kind of numbers he did in 2004 and Phillips needs more time to throw, he is a pocket passer, if he wants to be effective.

Take Bledsoe last year, played great until the O-Line suffered injuries and once he started getting more pressure he started sucking. Gotta give a pocket passer time or the whole offense suffers.

Phillips is a very good QB there is no question about that.  We just don't have the O-Line for his style play.  We need a QB that can move and make something happen.  If we had the O-Line of Scott Hall's years I think Phillips would put up better numbers than Hall, but the sad fact is we don't which is why Wilson will and has performed better.  The same goes for J-Mo.  Our O-Line is improving but it still nothing compared to the one anchored by Brewster.  J-Mo needs more holes if he wants to put up the kind of numbers he did in 2004 and Phillips needs more time to throw, he is a pocket passer, if he wants to be effective.

Take Bledsoe last year, played great until the O-Line suffered injuries and once he started getting more pressure he started sucking.  Gotta give a pocket passer time or the whole offense suffers.

Yeah... this is a key point, I think, in why I like Woody. If you could hypothetically give your QB the requisite 3 or 4 full seconds to read and find his target, Phillips would be the best. But, in the absence of that, having a guy that can sidestep the pressure a little bit to buy that extra second is helpful.

If you could hypothetically give your QB the requisite 3 or 4 full seconds to read and find his target, Phillips would be the best.

I disagree. If Phillips had time to pass he could be successful, but that doesn't mean he would be the best. It's not as if Woody has shown poor accuracy or anything. Rather, he has shown he can be very accurate, even when on the run. But having an immobile QB elimnates so much from the playbook. Rollouts? Option runs or passes? QB draws? When going against an immobile QB, a defense doesn't have to prepare or worry about those types of plays. Now if Woody had shown that he was inaccurate and his saving grace was his mobility, then yeah, if given time Phillips would be best. But that can't be said as Woody has shown excellent accuracy.

I disagree. If Phillips had time to pass he could be successful, but that doesn't mean he would be the best. It's not as if Woody has shown poor accuracy or anything. Rather, he has shown he can be very accurate, even when on the run. But having an immobile QB elimnates so much from the playbook. Rollouts? Option runs or passes? QB draws?  When going against an immobile QB, a defense doesn't have to prepare or worry about those types of plays. Now if Woody had shown that he was inaccurate and his saving grace was his mobility, then yeah, if given time Phillips would be best. But that can't be said as Woody has shown excellent accuracy.

This is an interesting point. I am, of course, basing my impression of Phillips not just on what i've seen in two games, but generally over the course of a year. I can assure you that, when he has time, he is perfectly capable of pulling the 11-18/242/3 game he had in spring ball. It isn't an issue of Woody having poor accuracy, just that, given time, I have historically seen big things from Phillips.

All that, of course, with the disclaimer that I'd much rather have a guy capable of doing it during the regular season than in practice. I just feel to ignore the entire body of work for three quarters of work is a bit unfair.

Just because I'm not totally dismissing Phillips doesn't mean I don't support Wilson. I am really excited about Tulsa for this very reason. If Wilson, given a full week as a starter, can come out and really blossom in what we've seen him doing, and take his game to the next level, I'm stoked for what he brings to the team. What that could mean for us as a team... man. Can you imagine?

first- I like this Chris guy. welcome.... i have enjoyed all of your post. I agree with e-bone, I am not sure how it relates that Phillips would be a better QB if he had more time in the pocket. It is not like Wilson has been inaccurate. So he has done well in practice? It's like being a pre-season star in the NFL. nobody cares. I enjoyed reading the post today regarding the 3-3-5 defense that Tulsa will be running. that's real football talk. the thing about DD that drives me crazy is that he gives us any reason to even have this converstaion about Phillips and Wilson. it's over. let it go. let's move on. Woody is obviously better. Phillips did good against SMU?? He didn't up any points in a half. How great is that? Seriously, does everyone get a participation trophy from DD like we are playing little league again? Not sure what was promised to Phillips when he came here but sorry man, it just didn't work out right now.

LOL...DD coughing/clearing his throat at press conferences is standard routine.

Didn't know that. Admittedly, I am a new fan of a robust 1 year. I joined Mean Green Premium and having been listening to more stuff.. .guess I never noticed it before...thanks for pointing that out...

first- I like this Chris guy.  welcome....  i have enjoyed all of your post.  I agree with e-bone, I am not sure how it relates that Phillips would be a better QB if he had more time in the pocket.  It is not like Wilson has been inaccurate.  So he has done well in practice?  It's like being a pre-season star in the NFL.  nobody cares.  I enjoyed reading the post today regarding the 3-3-5 defense that Tulsa will be running.  that's real football talk.  the thing about DD that drives me crazy is that he gives us any reason to even have this converstaion about Phillips and Wilson.  it's over.  let it go.  let's move on.  Woody is obviously better.  Phillips did good against SMU??  He didn't up any points in a half.  How great is that?  Seriously, does everyone get a participation trophy from DD like we are playing little league again?  Not sure what was promised to Phillips when he came here but sorry man, it just didn't work out right now.

Thanks for the welcome. I post often but try not to overstep my bounds. There are people in the forum that obviously have a far better technical knowledge of football than me. Back to Phillips - I have to ask the question: given his stats and performance in the first 2 games (64 net yards of offense), would he receive compliments (admittedly, I am not sure how to classify what DD said about Phillips) from other D1A coaches outside the Sunbelt? Do we have lowered expectations and don't even realize it? Do we reward sub-par performance for a D1A team? I don't know... I am not anti-Phillips, I hear and read he is great guy. But I demand that our QB produce points for us, and accept nothing less. That didn't happen last season, and hasn't so far this season.

given his stats and performance in the first 2 games (64 net yards of offense), would he receive compliments (admittedly, I am not sure how to classify what DD said about Phillips) from other D1A coaches outside the Sunbelt? Do we have lowered expectations and don't even realize it? Do we reward sub-par performance for a D1A team?

no, yes, yes

oh and being new at the board be sure that you remember Hayden Fry is god because he beat Tennessee in Knoxville like a thousand years ago (believe me, just ask)

no, yes, yes

oh and being new at the board be sure that you remember  Hayden Fry is god because he beat Tennessee in Knoxville like a thousand years ago (believe me, just ask)

chrisfisher,

Also, you must use the term Devil Dickey when you're really pissed about the coaching.

I've used it on many occasions last year.

cool.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

no, yes, yes

oh and being new at the board be sure that you remember  Hayden Fry is god because he beat Tennessee in Knoxville like a thousand years ago (believe me, just ask)

hehe... Damn, we have to get some more recent team bragging rights.... maybe we'll beat OU next year and we can relish that win for a new 1000 years biggrin.gif