DMN Reader calls NT Football team

GreenBat

FRom the comment section on the DMN College Blog

So let me make sure I understand correctly: ND comes from behind 10-0 and wins on the road to a quality D1 team but slips to #3 while UT slaughters a hapless high school team in Austin and moves up to #2? The media driven AP is a fraudulent joke and proves they'll desperately do anything to set up a 1 vs 2 showdown when it comes to setting up the latest trendy media darling team they've chosen. UT benefits from playing in a weak conference (When you beat your conf opponents by 30+ pts per game and the North Champ by 67 in the conf title game, you play in a weak conf period) which allows them to have fresh legs at the end of the season by resting thier starters the 2nd half of every game. Looks like the same thing again this yr- one decent but overrated Big 10 team on the schedule along w/ Sam Houston St and the sorry Big 12= UT being in the title game again.

Posted by: Erik | September 5, 2006 06:49 PM

The media driven AP is a fraudulent joke and proves they'll desperately do anything to set up a 1 vs 2 showdown when it comes to setting up the latest trendy media darling team they've chosen.

I'm trying to figure this out. How is the Associated Press media driven? They are the media. Also, Notre Dame is the media darling. If this genius can't see that, then he's got problems.

FRom the comment section on the DMN College Blog

So let me make sure I understand correctly: ND comes from behind 10-0 and wins on the road to a quality D1 team but slips to #3 while UT slaughters a hapless high school team in Austin and moves up to #2? The media driven AP is a fraudulent joke and proves they'll desperately do anything to set up a 1 vs 2 showdown when it comes to setting up the latest trendy media darling team they've chosen. UT benefits from playing in a weak conference (When you beat your conf opponents by 30+ pts per game and the North Champ by 67 in the conf title game, you play in a weak conf period) which allows them to have fresh legs at the end of the season by resting thier starters the 2nd half of every game. Looks like the same thing again this yr- one decent but overrated Big 10 team on the schedule along w/ Sam Houston St and the sorry Big 12= UT being in the title game again.

Posted by: Erik | September 5, 2006 06:49 PM

DD played UT as an extended scrimmage as evidenced by the QB rotations and Wilson/Thomas sitting out b/c of "cramps" (geez, give them some water, a massage, and get them back out). Moreover, DD said on national TV in the FSN interview that to win our boys would have to play above their talent level AND UT would have to have a bad day. How else do you think the general public will perceive our D-1A team? We should have played to win, even if it wasn't a possibility. Never teach a football team to accept loosing. Loosing should never enter a team's vocabulary. This negates the possibility of an upset, no matter how remote.

Edited by chrisfisher

Never teach a football team to accept loosing. Loosing should never enter a team's vocabulary. This negates the possibility of an upset, no matter how remote.

But what about losing? Should that enter their vocabulary?

Edited by Zeke

Moreover, DD said on national TV in the FSN interview that to win our boys would have to play above their talent level AND UT would have to have a bad day. How else do you think the general public will perceive our D-1A team?

I heard that too. Regardless of the odds you don't say in public that your team/school can't compete. Maybe it's the coach that can't compete? mad.gif

As for the "hapless high school team" comment, well 56-7 and the above pregame comments will imply that. Until the score improves the image won't either.

DD and staff should have introduced the word UPSET to the team. Even if it did not happen, as long as the boys played their hardest (not that they didn't), they could hang their heads high no matter what the result. To expect that the team would be devastated if they set out to win and then lost sells our boys short. I wish DD hadn't said that on national TV no matter how (in)accurate it may have been.

I heard that too.  Regardless of the odds you don't say in public that your team/school can't compete.  Maybe it's the coach that can't compete?  mad.gif

As for the "hapless high school team" comment, well 56-7 and the above pregame comments will imply that.  Until the score improves the image won't either.

So does the 50 -14 shellacking USC gave Arkansas, at Arkansas, make the Hogs a hapless high school team as well?

Part of me thinks both Texas and USC are college football anomalies. I'll know for sure at the end of the season.

I heard that too. Regardless of the odds you don't say in public that your team/school can't compete. Maybe it's the coach that can't compete? mad.gif

As for the "hapless high school team" comment, well 56-7 and the above pregame comments will imply that. Until the score improves the image won't either.

I watched this part of the interview on TV, I went ballistic thank God I didn't put my foot through my 60' TV. I was pretty fired up, and I would have fired DD on the spot if I had the authority.

Ok... If we are a HS team then let us make SMU look like a junior high team.

Miami and FSU played each other and neither of them had as many yards rushing as North Texas did... They had 4 and 5 yards each...... and no they did not pass well either Miami had less than 100 and FSU only about 175. Neither were playing the #2 team in the nation, we were.

I watched this part of the interview on TV, I went ballistic thank God I didn't put my foot through my 60' TV. I was pretty fired up, and I would have fired DD on the spot if I had the authority.

So your 60' (feet) TV trumps my 42 incher? I'm jealous. That's one helluva TV you've got there! laugh.gif

Thats what I mean it would have been expensive!

Yeah well maybe it is inches, but I like to think mine is bigger.

Edited by KingDL1

How do you go about hanging your head high?  Is that anything like lifting your head low?

I need to watch my analogies... I meant to say, they could "hold their head high."... hang your head high doesn't sound so great...no one wants a hang'n. thanks for keeping me honest though.. biggrin.gif