UNT vs. SMU

megagreen

Theme Song for the Game: "Watching your Mustang Burn" by Jack Ingram

Forget branding. Make enough glue for the Poontangs to reconnect the wiring in their locker room.  blink.gif

Pure genius, brotha. That needs to be blaring over the PA when SMUt takes the field.

"What'd you expect me to do

I ain't got no ties to you

It ain't none of my concern

I'm just watchin' yo' Mustang burn"

1:00 am on 9/9, visitor's locker room mysteriously powers down. (Again...ha!)

Theme Song for the Game: "Watching your Mustang Burn" by Jack Ingram

Jack Ingram went to SMU...might not be your best choice for theme song.

So you'd be opposed to kidnapping Puny or Petunia (whatever SMU calls their pony mascot) and branding him with 14-7 (last time we beat SMU in 1990) the day before our game on September 9???

I'll warn against that... http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/displa...T/3f839c67abe96

Peruna has also KILLED another mascot, the Fordham Ram. During a game between the two schools, Peruna was led too close to the ram and kicked it, killing it immediately. He’s also belted Bevo and tried to mount the Texas Tech horse.

We're looking forward to playing you guys...but we'll take it one game at a time. By the way, TCU is our rival, not UNT.

Edited by CalallenStang

"Peruna has also KILLED another mascot, the Fordham Ram. During a game between the two schools, Peruna was led too close to the ram and kicked it, killing it immediately. He’s also belted Bevo and tried to mount the Texas Tech horse."

LOVE IT! laugh.gif

Great article. cool.gif

Jack Ingram went to SMU...might not be your best choice for theme song.

I'll warn against that... http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/displa...T/3f839c67abe96

We're looking forward to playing you guys...but we'll take it one game at a time.  By the way, TCU is our rival, not UNT.

Don't blame you for looking forward to playing a team that went 2-9 in 2005 and finished last in the worst D-1 conference in the nation. Your comment further amplifies the snobbish attitude that the metroplex privates have always displayed toward NT, the largest and most academically prestigious university in the region. You are fortunate that our coaches and athletic staff don't give a rat's a_s about ANY non- SBC game.You won't be facing a Corky Nelson or Hayden Fry who would have their teams prepared to cut off your pony ears and stuff them down your arrogant throats!!! After all DD & Flannigan are your own boys just as is Chancellor Lee Jackson. WE have been infiltrated from within by the enemy. As far this Alum I don't plan to be able to talk for a week after this game. I've even offerred to suit up just to take a smack at one of your arrogant horse's as_es!!!

Don't blame you for looking forward to playing a team that went 2-9 in 2005 and finished last in the worst D-1 conference in the nation. Your comment further amplifies the snobbish attitude that the metroplex privates have always displayed toward NT, the largest and most academically prestigious university in the region. You are fortunate that our coaches and athletic staff don't give a rat's a_s about ANY non- SBC game.You won't be facing a Corky Nelson or Hayden Fry who would have their teams prepared to cut off your pony ears and stuff them down your arrogant throats!!! After all DD & Flannigan are your own boys just as is Chancellor Lee Jackson. WE have been infiltrated from within by the enemy. As far this Alum I don't plan to be able to talk for a week after this game. I've even offerred to suit up just to take a smack at one of your arrogant horse's as_es!!!

DallasGreen, you are reading way too much into my post. The reason why we are looking forward to the game against you guys is because we believe it will be an excellent game in a good atmosphere. cool.gif

It's funny, DG here says he doesn't want UNT to be infiltrated by the enemy, but UNTLifer says "Who cares if Ingram went to SMU, the song is appropriate."

It's funny, DG here says he doesn't want UNT to be infiltrated by the enemy, but UNTLifer says "Who cares if Ingram went to SMU, the song is appropriate."

Please tell me how North Texas playing a Jack Ingram song is being "infiltrated by the enemy." It's a song not the Chancellor of the university. ph34r.gif

Please tell me how North Texas playing a Jack Ingram song is being "infiltrated by the enemy."  It's a song not the Chancellor of the university. ph34r.gif

The point is, Ingram went to SMU and you want to use a song of his to further the UNT cause. Just like Flanigan went to SMU and you now use his knowledge to help your offense out.

The point is, Ingram went to SMU and you want to use a song of his to further the UNT cause.  Just like Flanigan went to SMU and you now use his knowledge to help your offense out.

Haven't you heard that Flannigan has directed his knowledge ( overstatement of this century since he was a career student at Some Miserable University) toward the prize fighting ring to prepare to sparr with NT fans much like he showed in 2005. God help our offense if we're depending on Ramon's " knowledge" to bail us out!!!

Haven't you heard that Flannigan has directed his knowledge ( overstatement of this century since he was a career student at Some Miserable University) toward the prize fighting ring to prepare to sparr with NT fans much like he showed in 2005. God help our offense if we're depending on Ramon's " knowledge" to bail us out!!!

DG, I like your spunk. Fact is, he is your OC.

DG, I like your spunk.  Fact is, he is your OC.

Well, I guess we have taken a few of your cast-offs.

Hayden Fry

Ramon Flannigan

Lee Jackson

Maybe we should keep up the tradition and start paying our players to come to play football here and in the process soil the names of Texas, fair play, and football in general.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RqvVbrZEyFkB...sn/cheaters.jpg

Edited by Eagle-96

Well, I guess we have taken a few of your cast-offs.

Hayden Fry

Ramon Flannigan

Lee Jackson

Maybe we should keep up the tradition and start paying our players to come to play football here and in the process soil the names of Texas, fair play, and football in general.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RqvVbrZEyFkB...sn/cheaters.jpg

I'm not going to deny how absolutely outrageous our actions were regarding what led up to the death penalty. It doesn't go on anymore, however, and is therefore old news. And if you don't think we've paid the price, take a look at how many bowl games we have been to post-DP.

SMU will have a good team this year and it probably still wont be enough for much better than 3rd in C-USA West, as I think UH and Tulsa have to be the odds on favorite for that division.

For that reason, I will consider a victory over SMU at Fouts to be far more significant this season than it would have been 2 or 3 years ago.

I am really happy to have a couple C-USA teams on the schedule this year, and I hoping like hell I dont get let down like last year. Anyone getting upset about people not taking us serious is hilarious. We finished 2-9 in the worst division in D1 football. Ha, I find it difficult to take us serious at times with our OOC showings last year (and the one before, and the one before, and...).

In truth, I dont know what our team will look like next year. Im hoping for a tremendous resurgence, but I fear depth will be an issue for our lines against all of our OOC opponenets.

Either way, I cant wait for this game. Its a family affair now (with a brother at SMU) so we are bringing up the whole gang!

I'm not going to deny how absolutely outrageous our actions were regarding what led up to the death penalty.  It doesn't go on anymore, however, and is therefore old news.  And if you don't think we've paid the price, take a look at how many bowl games we have been to post-DP.

I'll agree that you guys got a raw deal for basically doing the same thing every other successful program was doing. I compare the NCAA enforcement of the DP on SMU to dropping the big one on Japan...once it was done, everyone was in awe of the power and the long-term implications. The end results far exceeded the expectations, and not necessarily in a good way.

I'll also agree that TCU is SMU's primary rival, but we had a pretty good series going back in the Mustang Mania/Hayden Fry days. No reason we can't elevate the series to that level again. I think it would benefit both programs tremendously. Of course, we'll play second fiddle to the UT-Ohio State game this year when it comes to media coverage but we need to do all we can to garner more exposure for this game.

I'll agree that you guys got a raw deal for basically doing the same thing every other successful program was doing.  I compare the NCAA enforcement of the DP on SMU to dropping the big one on Japan...once it was done, everyone was in awe of the power and the long-term implications.  The end results far exceeded the expectations, and not necessarily in a good way.

I'll also agree that TCU is SMU's primary rival, but we had a pretty good series going back in the Mustang Mania/Hayden Fry days.  No reason we can't elevate the series to that level again.  I think it would benefit both programs tremendously.  Of course, we'll play second fiddle to the UT-Ohio State game this year when it comes to media coverage but we need to do all we can to garner more exposure for this game.

If there was an applause smilie, I would use it here...

Personally, I'd love to play UNT at least every few years. Both teams would get more exposure in the Metroplex and maybe that would keep some of the local talent from going elsewhere to play college ball. Some SMU fans don't see it how I do - they'd rather play UT every year, but honestly, they are still in denial about how far we have fallen.

When are you guys opening your new stadium? No offense, but Fouts is subpar.

Our starting QB this year will be Justin Willis, of Denton Ryan fame.

When are you guys opening your new stadium?  No offense, but Fouts is subpar. 

Cant decide if this is a candidate for the 'understatement' or the 'obvious post' of the year award. tongue.gif

I would like to see NT play SMU and TCU every year. If NT could get into C-USA, that might be easier to schedule. We could have an actual battle for the metroplex every year, which would HAVE to garner media attention for all parties involved. However I understand TCU and SMU already have a named rivalry established

I read one of your posts on the SMU board. I dont think anyone was in anyway comparing the magnitude of Texas/OU/A&M rivalry to SMU/NT/TCU, rather it was done as a relative comparison. I think we all know which rivalry has more tradition, more national attention, and more title implications. (hint, its doesnt feature any private schools...).

If there was an applause smilie, I would use it here...

Personally, I'd love to play UNT at least every few years.  Both teams would get more exposure in the Metroplex and maybe that would keep some of the local talent from going elsewhere to play college ball.  Some SMU fans don't see it how I do - they'd rather play UT every year, but honestly, they are still in denial about how far we have fallen. 

When are you guys opening your new stadium?  No offense, but Fouts is subpar. 

Our starting QB this year will be Justin Willis, of Denton Ryan fame.

Let me answer paragraph by paragraph:

1)I too wish there was an applause smile...

2)I think every few years would be just about right. It could actually be made into something of an event because I think both teams are on their way up. As to SMU playing UT, go right ahead. I love watching SMU lose and I think it would take one half, maybe a full game, to put to bed any dillusions your fans have.

3)New stadium? laugh.gif

4)I think Willis was a fine quarterback in high school. And I'm glad he'll be your starter. A freshman at the QB position with few if any collegiate snaps can only help us...believe me I saw first hand how that turns out last year.

Cant decide if this is a candidate for the 'understatement' or the 'obvious post' of the year award.  tongue.gif

I would like to see NT play SMU and TCU every year. If NT could get into C-USA, that might be easier to schedule. We could have an actual battle for the metroplex every year, which would HAVE to garner media attention for all parties involved. However I understand TCU and SMU already have a named rivalry established

I read one of your posts on the SMU board. I dont think anyone was in anyway comparing the magnitude of Texas/OU/A&M rivalry to SMU/NT/TCU, rather it was done as a relative comparison. I think we all know which rivalry has more tradition, more national attention, and more title implications. (hint, its doesnt feature any private schools...).

We'll have to see what happens in a few years when the next conference shift happens. Personally I'd love to develop rivalries with UNT and Baylor similar to the rivalry we have with TCU. And yes, the rivalry that has more magnitude is the one with the schools outside of the metroplex.

Let me answer paragraph by paragraph:

1)I too wish there was an applause smile...

2)I think every few years would be just about right. It could actually be made into something of an event because I think both teams are on their way up. As to SMU playing UT, go right ahead. I love watching SMU lose and I think it would take one half, maybe a full game, to put to bed any dillusions your fans have.

3)New stadium? 

4)I think Willis was a fine quarterback in high school. And I'm glad he'll be your starter. A freshman at the QB position with few if any collegiate snaps can only help us...believe me I saw first hand how that turns out last year.

1) This one would be good user posted image

2) I agree with you there

3) http://www.unt.edu/administration/proposed_projects_new.htm

4. He's got talent but I'm worried about inexperience as well.