UNT in preseason WNIT

FIELD ANNOUNCED FOR

2006 PRESEASON WNIT

June 28, 2006 – The 16-team field for the 2006 Preseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament was announced today.

The field for the prestigious women’s college basketball tournament includes 11 teams that played in the postseason last season. Baylor, BYU, Dartmouth, Hartford, North Carolina State, Purdue, St. John’s and Stanford played in the NCAA Tournament, and Belmont, Hofstra and Idaho State qualified for the Postseason WNIT field. They will be joined by High Point, Iona, Loyola-Marymount, North Texas and Wichita State in this fall’s Preseason WNIT.

The single-elimination tournament opens Nov. 9 and Nov. 10 with first-round games. Second-round games will be played on Nov. 12-13, semifinals on Nov. 15-16 and the championship is scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 19. All games are played on home campuses, which are determined after each round.

In last year’s Preseason WNIT, Connecticut defeated Oklahoma and went on to a 32-5 season, advancing to the NCAA’s Elite Eight round.

First-round games:

All 2005-2006 team records in parentheses

Thursday, Nov. 9

Belmont (22-8) at Purdue (26-7), 7 p.m. ET

Iona (17-12) at St. John’s (22-8), 7 p.m. ET

High Point (20-10) at N.C. State (19-12), 7 p.m. ET

Loyola-Marymount (17-12) at Stanford (26-8), 7 p.m. PT

Friday, Nov. 10

Dartmouth (23-7) at Hartford (27-4), 7 p.m. ET

North Texas (19-8) at Baylor (26-7), 7 p.m. CT

Hofstra (19-12) at Wichita State (15-13), 7 p.m. CT

Idaho State (17-13) at BYU (26-6), 7 p.m. MT

http://www.womensnit.com/

Baylor lost several key players, but boy did they have a national signing day of talent. Don't have that info anymore but I followed them through the NCAA games on TV and their recruiting...had to have been nationally ranked.

NT has lost most of its key players from last year...including 4 Srs., the starting Center, a Jr., and the Mansfield forward who quit the team.

Guest GrayEagleOne

This will be a bad year to be playing the national champions, regardless of how many starters they lost. We lose four starters, including the key point guard that made the team go.

Of the five returning guards, Hall, Sanetra Jackson, Lee, Quaddrachi, and Wali, I son't think that there's a true point guard in the lot. We have an excellent PG but she must sit out this year since transferring from Colorado. We won't even be very strong at shooting guard; our best returning 3-point shooter plays on the front line.

It's not near as bleak on the front line. Amber Jackson was our fourth leading scorer last year and Sanders and Howard are experienced, decent scorers and rebounders. We have another good frontliner from Midland College coming in. Plus, there are a couple of high school players that will get an early baptism. James, from Orange, averaged 26 points as a high school senior and Goodman, from Arkansas, averaged 19.

This will be a very young team. DiDi Wali is the only senior.

The other good news is that Coach Slinker still has two or three scholarships left to give.

Imo, NT will lose to Baylor by twenty plus; RV has sentenced NT to mediocrity by extending Slinker's contract. I don't think after 17 years that Slinker's teams are suddenly going to track upward. The Belt is a very good girls basketball conference and NT is falling further behind teams like MTSU, WKU as well as others.

Tricia Lee was the starting point guard at season end taking over for Mireles. Bobo was the off guard and along with Ajekwu the biggest loses from last year's team. NT would have more ships left only if additional players are no longer on the team.

I am not sold on this "excellent" point guard. She had a very impressive high school career but after starting for a poor Colorado team was basically benched for the last part of the season. Maybe there was a problem other than play, but at this point I would not count on a big upgrade.

Edited by GrandGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Imo, NT will lose to Baylor by twenty plus; RV has sentenced NT to mediocrity by extending Slinker's contract.  I don't think after 17 years that Slinker's teams are suddenly going to track upward.  The Belt is a very good girls basketball conference and NT is  falling further behind teams like MTSU, WKU as well as others.

Tricia Lee was the starting point guard at season end taking over for Mireles.  Bobo was the off guard and along with Ajekwu the biggest loses from last year's team.  NT would have more ships left only if additional players are no longer on the team.

I am not sold on this "excellent" point guard.  She had a very impressive high school career but  after starting for a poor Colorado team was basically benched for the last part of the season.  Maybe there was a problem other than play, but at this point I would not count on a big upgrade.

I definitely agree with you about the extension of Slinker's contract and I agree that we will never be quite "upper echelon" as long as she remains as coach. Of course, she did win 19 games last year but while I'd still put her on a year-to-year basis, you know that our athletic administration will not.

I didn't remember Tricia Lee that well except that she was from Indiana and couldn't shoot threes. Then I started looking at her bio and statistics and found that she had been the 17th rated player in Texas before she moved to Indiana. It also looks like she was the assist leader per minute played but she also had 50 turnovers, a high figure for only playing 10 minutes per game. Her assist to turnover ratio was .7 which I'd call unacceptable for a point guard. It'd be sort of like a quarterback throwing more interceptions than touchdowns.

You may be right about the Colorado transfer; I don't know. She appears to be a shoot first point guard but she is a scorer, especially at the three-point range. I hope that Lee becomes so effective that Escelera is made a shooting guard next year.