Smu game Is it the biggest game ever?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be in the minority with this philosophy, too, (which is nothing new for me on this forum, of course rolleyes.gif , but I can never see how any one game, one season, one coach (popular or other-wise) or one "whatever" would ever determine when one would give the Big Donation needed for a new stadium @ UNT or any other school for that matter. If that was the case, we should have gotten all that after we beat Tennessee years ago OR after our win over Cincy' in the NO's Bowl.

If memory serves me, even while Coog' football was in a down-mode, UH mega-wealthy alum John J. Moores gave UH athletics (and his alma mater) a (then) record donation for a U.S. public university of about $50 million to the school located off Cullen Blvd. in H-town. $25 million of that total was ear-marked for the UH athletic program and they built some very nice athletic facilites with it, too.

Yet at the time Mr. Moores first told (then) UH AD Rudy Davalos money would be forth-coming to UH, I believe those 2 were in the Orange Bowl watching the Miami Hurricane dismantle the Cougars every which way but loose.

I think a Big Donation to (eventually) get a new football stadium at UNT will come when we least expect it truth be known. FWIW & IMHO, there is just way too much money here in the DFW Metroplex for UNT to not get at least something as far as some very substantial seed money to get this new football stadium project started.

I also think any Big Donor has to know that UNT has a well planned short-term and long-term plan of action for taking Mean Green football up the NCAA D1-A ladder. Not sure merely winning the SBC, getting beat by the 4'th place CUSA football team in a bowl game and no Top 25 rankings but rather being ranked in the bottom quadrant of the 117 member division would hardly inspire any potential Big Donor, either. Could be wrong with all that, but don't think I would be.

blink.gif However all this plays out, this will be the single-most costly construction project in our school's 100 plus year history. We will (in essence) be spending more money for this one project than we have in our entire UNT System's endowment. That fact alone scares some of us with this new stadium idea. We truly need a Big Donor who stipulates: "This money will be ear-marked only to build a new football stadium at UNT's main campus in Denton, Texas, America." cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Concerning SMU keeping NTSU out of the SWC....: If I remember correctly it took more than "one vote" to keep NTSU out of the SWC.

Perhaps someone can remember how many votes it took to keep NTSU out of the SWC and who were the schools???

If you "just" want to "spank" SMU then you need to get some theories going about some other SWC schools.

Concerning SMU keeping NTSU out of the SWC....:  If I remember correctly it took more than "one vote" to keep NTSU out of the SWC.

Perhaps someone can remember how many votes it took to keep NTSU out of the SWC and who were the schools???

If you "just" want to "spank" SMU then you need to get some theories going about some other SWC schools.

even better would be to just get over it, and win as many games as we can every year without making excuses or lamenting over what could have been. just a thought

Edited by Eagle1855

It is sad that a game that most likely will only decide who is considered the worst 1a football program in Texas ( yes Rice is probably also a contender) is considered by many NT fans to be the most important in ages. Forget about conference championship games, bowl games and many games against top 10 programs, SMU is the most important! I fail to see the logic in this thinking, and believe many fans are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment. as SMU will be a significant favorite. Other than a big victory over a horrible Baylor team, has DD ever won a meaningful oc game?

It is sad that a game that most likely will only decide who is considered the worst 1a football program in Texas ( yes Rice is probably also a contender) is considered by many NT fans to be the most important in ages.   Forget about conference championship games, bowl games and many games against top 10 programs, SMU is the most important!  I fail to see the logic in this thinking, and believe many fans are setting themselves up for extreme disappointment. as SMU will be a significant favorite.  Other than a big victory over a horrible Baylor team, has DD ever won a meaningful oc game?

Texas Tech would be considered a meaningful OOC game. We did beat Tech with DD, right? Altheimers runs in the family. sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

3. Rumor. Where on earth have you heard this? SMU Law would have no qualms with a UNT-Dallas law school. SMU acknowledges that it meets the needs of a group of  future-lawyers in Dallas. Those that want to pursue "big firm" and other corporate law jobs. SMU is a poor choice for those seeking government jobs and other prestigious, though not initially as high paying, legal jobs in the Dallas market (public defenders, asst. district attorneys, etc). A SMU law degree comes with a hefty price-tag so most grads go to work for big firms to pay off loans quicker. A public law school in the metroplex is very much needed.  SMU has no power in the state-legislature like UT or A&M to pull $ away, so unless you have printed evidence of SMU trying to prevent this happening.. it's just a conspiracy theory.

Either it's a bad rumor, or someone within our administration is lying. Soon after Mayor Laura Miller was seen on local news showing her and city officials on the front steps of the proposed building that the city was in contract discussions with NT's Lee Jackson, it became a popular closed circle discussion at many NT functions that SMU did not like it at all by others who would know, and that the Mayor's office had already recieved some heat about it from SMU supporters. From what I have heard, it's much more than simply a rumor. Of course your not going to see SMU's admin voice their displeasure of it in public, that would be overextending yourself like admitting North Texas actually exists or something?

And to incline that somone who goes to a public university law school is basically SOL on a job with a "big firm" speaks volumes of the attitude that rubs most people the wrong way when it comes to SMU. And who the shit goes to law school or any other school for that matter with intent on seeking a government job later on? dry.gif

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Of course all this SMU Law School/future UNT Law School banter might be a bit sensitive with one on this board since this forums creator's better half graduated from the, uh, errrhh, well.................in deed, Mrs. (Harry) Miers did graduate from the SMU Law School.smile.gif

No matter the situation, I know W/O a shadow of a doubt that SMU prez' Gerald Turner must be smack dab in the middle of all this orchestrating the controversy part of this UNT Law School business! ! ! ! ! ! (just kiddin', of course)smile.gif

Nevertheless, I think even many SMU'ers would (right along with SouthernMustang) agree that this region really could put a good public university supported law school to use.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Either it's a bad rumor, or someone within our administration is lying.  Soon after Mayor Laura Miller was seen on local news showing her and city officials on the front steps of the proposed building that the city was in contract discussions with NT's Lee Jackson, it became a popular closed circle discussion at many NT functions that SMU did not like it at all by others who would know, and that the Mayor's office had already recieved some heat about it from SMU supporters.  From what I have heard, it's much more than simply a rumor.  Of course your not going to see SMU's admin voice their displeasure of it in public, that would be overextending yourself like admitting North Texas actually exists or something? 

And to incline that somone who goes to a public university law school is basically SOL on a job with a "big firm" speaks volumes of the attitude that rubs most people the wrong way when it comes to SMU.  And who the shit goes to law school or any other school for that matter with intent on seeking a government job later on? dry.gif

Rick

Well, being a popular word among closed UNT circles still sounds like a complete conspiracy theory to me. I am sure a few SMU alums don't like the idea, but I think the problem is that when 1 or 2 SMU alums say something -- that becomes some UNT supporters (note: not all) what the school and the majority of SMU supporters believe as well. I really think you'd be surprised that most SMUers aren't looking out to harm or make UNT out to look bad. I would bet most UNT students don't really hate SMU either.

I apologize if my post came across offensively.. I didn't mean it to infer that UNT-Law grads wouldn't receive "Big Firm" jobs. I meant it more to say that SMU law grads felt strapped and forced to take on those kinds of jobs because they incurreed so much debt from paying $34k/year. Believe it or not, a lot of law students don't want to bill 2400 hours/year and working 7:30am-9:00pm everyday, and some don't even go to "get rich".. going to a more affordable law school gives them a better opportunity. Getting a job with the DA office or clerking for a job is not an easy task. Doing Public Interest work is not for the bottom-tier of grads.. I think you discount too greatly the brains of those legal workers and only assume the higher paying jobs are more prestigious. That's really not the case.

UNT could create a niche in the DFW market like UH has in Houston. It's naive to think that a public law school that is brand new would jump immediately into the Top-Tier. But UH steadily has become an affordable law school with a solid faculty and great quality education -- it also allows access to the big firm jobs, while allowing students that want to seek political and governmental jobs that option because of its affordability.

And if Laura Miller is the source of SMU supporters voicing their opinion against UNT Law... well, I would take internet fodder from a message board more seriously than her word. That lady is the most worthless mayor in the history of any US city. I think SMU (being in Dallas) is one of the few schools that was relieved when Mayor Miller decided to not support us for the GWB Library... because everything she touches or endorses fails.

Edited by SouthernMustang

Just like to point out that NT's Public Administration Program is Top 10 in the Country. It is also, like SMU's MBA program, the best in the southwest.

I had no idea until I actually got in the program how good it was. But the more bell ringing the better.

For the record, SouthernMustang, I got your points. I understand what you are saying, and, personally, I agree with a lot of it. That said, half the fun of a college football rivalry is totally discouting the other guy's point of view and ripping them whenever you get a chance. Every year at the MUTS game, I get up for it. There is currently no other team (besides you guys and TCU) that I'd rather beat, and beat by a large margin. I want bigger hits, I want more points, I was taunting, I want high tempers, I want to see emotion on the field. That's what is great about rivalries. Teams you love to hate makes the games more meaningful.

I don't wish anything negative on you, personally. I won't attack you physically, I'm not going to bomb your house or car. But, from a fan of one school who feels "disrespected" by another school who has historically enjoyed more of the spotlight, I hope my team punches yours right in the mouth. That's college football, and that's why I love it.

Just like to point out that NT's Public Administration Program is Top 10 in the Country.  It is also, like SMU's MBA program, the best in the southwest.

I had no idea until I actually got in the program how good it was.  But the more bell ringing the better.

For the record, SouthernMustang, I got your points.  I understand what you are saying, and, personally, I agree with a lot of it.  That said, half the fun of a college football rivalry is totally discouting the other guy's point of view and ripping them whenever you get a chance.  Every year at the MUTS game, I get up for it.  There is currently no other team (besides you guys and TCU) that I'd rather beat, and beat by a large margin.  I want bigger hits, I want more points, I was taunting, I want high tempers, I want to see emotion on the field.  That's what is great about rivalries.  Teams you love to hate makes the games more meaningful.

I don't wish anything negative on you, personally.  I won't attack you physically, I'm not going to bomb your house or car.  But, from a fan of one school who feels "disrespected" by another school who has historically enjoyed more of the spotlight, I hope my team punches yours right in the mouth.  That's college football, and that's why I love it.

Shouldn't you be focusing on your "students" since you went to a Teacher's School?? tongue.gif

And when you finish teaching my neighbors children, go clean my Hummer.

That better? haha.

Shouldn't you be focusing on your "students" since you went to a Teacher's School??  tongue.gif

And when you finish teaching my neighbors children, go clean my Hummer.

That better? haha.

Hummer Schmummer...the only good thing that company ever made often has a "ma deuce" mounted on the top, or these days, a minigun. ph34r.gif

For the record, the biggest game of the year is still the UT game. If not the UT game, then any of the other teams on the OOC schedule count just as well.

Well, being a popular word among closed UNT circles still sounds like a complete conspiracy theory to me. I am sure a few SMU alums don't like the idea, but I think the problem is that when 1 or 2 SMU alums say something -- that becomes some UNT supporters (note: not all) what the school and the majority of SMU supporters believe as well. I really think you'd be surprised that most SMUers aren't looking out to harm or make UNT out to look bad. I would bet most UNT students don't really hate SMU either.

I apologize if my post came across offensively.. I didn't mean it to infer that UNT-Law grads wouldn't receive "Big Firm" jobs. I meant it more to say that SMU law grads felt strapped and forced to take on those kinds of jobs because they incurreed so much debt from paying $34k/year. Believe it or not, a lot of law students don't want to bill 2400 hours/year and working 7:30am-9:00pm everyday, and some don't even go to "get rich".. going to a more affordable law school gives them a better opportunity. Getting a job with the DA office or clerking for a job is not an easy task. Doing Public Interest work is not for the bottom-tier of grads.. I think you discount too greatly the brains of those legal workers and only assume the higher paying jobs are more prestigious. That's really not the case.

UNT could create a niche in the DFW market like UH has in Houston. It's naive to think that a public law school that is brand new would jump immediately into the Top-Tier. But UH steadily has become an affordable law school with a solid faculty and great quality education -- it also allows access to the big firm jobs, while allowing students that want to seek political and governmental jobs that option because of its affordability.

And if Laura Miller is the source of SMU supporters voicing their opinion against UNT Law... well, I would take internet fodder from a message board more seriously than her word. That lady is the most worthless mayor in the history of any US city. I think SMU (being in Dallas) is one of the few schools that was relieved when Mayor Miller decided to not support us for the GWB Library... because everything she touches or endorses fails.

It took more than just the mayor to get to the point we were at for that press conference to happen. Miller simply was there for the announcement and to give her support for NT's acquisition of the building, nothing more that I know of? I haven't always been on board with SMU's Lee Jackson in the past when he started to lead NT into the future. Anyone here will tell you this is very true. But after hearing about some of the grumblings going on in Dallas as a result after that day or that time I should say, and then hearing how LJ responded to it I gained some respect for the man. You can believe what you want, but I'll stick with my sources' information for now.

Rick

How dare you respond to me without going through my secretary... clean my Topsiders and re-starch my collar.

I should go through your secretary? That's what your secretary said!

And why re-starch anything? I thought you just threw away used shirts and bought new ones...

This is not the biggest game and will not make or break the 06 season.

I agree. Just becuase we really want to beat SMU, doesn't make it the biggest game. In fact, if you told me we would lose to Texas and SMU and win the rest of our games, I would take that. If you are going to support the athletics at North Texas, support athletics at North Texas with money, attendance and participation. This should NOT be impacted by one game, one coach, or anything else except your support of your school.

I agree.  Just becuase we really want to beat SMU, doesn't make it the biggest game.  In fact, if you told me we would lose to Texas and SMU and win the rest of our games, I would take that.  If you are going to support the athletics at North Texas, support athletics at North Texas with money, attendance and participation.  This should NOT be impacted by one game, one coach, or anything else except your support of your school.

I would take 1-11 if that 1 was SMU. It is completely dillusional to think UT is a big game. It's a scrimmage for them before the "Real Season Opener" against Ohio State, and it's strictly a $$$$ deal for NT. I just want it over with no injuries, and DD would tell you the same. SMU on the other hand is a barometer of progress, and losing to them is basically a death knell to the 2006 season. A team that feels otherwise and doesn't lay it all on the line for this game is undeserving of further support. If they can't get up the courage to win against SMU, we should become a basketball school 'cause players , students, and coaches certainly have no clue what D-1 FB is about!! Try working in the metroplex for 40 years competing with these elitest snobs, and then come back and tell me that this game is not more important!!!

It is completely dillusional to think UT is a big game. It's a scrimmage for them before the "Real Season Opener" against Ohio State, and it's strictly a $$$$ deal for NT. I just want it over with no injuries, and DD would tell you the same.

That is painful to hear... would Hayden have thought like that? Should we think like that? NO! Anything can happen. GO MEAN GREEN!

I want it over with no injuries too, I also want a W. While the win may not be as feasible as I want it to be, I don't think DD needs to hand UT a win. If he's gonna give them the win, he'd better break a few legs, bloody some noses and bruise some UT egos in the process.

And heck, the more the better. Let the rest of the world know that if we lost to UT, we sure knocked them around.

Edited by meangreendork