My talk with Coach Darrell Dickey

medpilot21

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't we all just get along...?

Question…. If you land several big deals for your company 4 years in a row and they make tons of money, and then you only get a couple of small deals the next year should you get fired?

I'm sick and tired of the "We need a change because" stuff. Let me ask you this.... If UT fired Mack Brown when the so called "fans" wanted them to would;

1) VY have gone to UT?

2) They have won the NC?

No one will ever know... Why? Because he was given the benefit to keep coaching based on his past success. DD has won 4 Conference titles. I don't give a CRAP if it is in the Sunbelt or the Southland Conference he won. And no amount of whining or complaining will change our conference to the “Insert other non BCS conference that no one outside the BCS cares about”. Some of you are worse than my 3 year old daughter… Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!! How long have we been back in D1A again?

I was one of the many chanting, begging, and pleading with DD to “THROW THE BALL” during the TCU game. And I don’t for the life of me understand some of the play calling, but my coaching views should not preclude me from supporting the team. If you want a change fine, voice it. But you should still support your team because it is YOUR team. I was devastated that we didn’t have a good year because we had a lot of national press because of Cobb’s and Thomas. However I am still rooting for them to Smack SMwho this year. If they lose, I will be furious for about 1 week right up until kickoff of the next game. After that I will get over it. I could give a rat’s azz what the perception is of NT on the outside. They don’t know us nor care about us so why should we care what they say about us. Talk about needing Thick Skin!

BINGO.....I think we have a winner!!!!

Thanks Ox...

GMG!!!

Can't we all just get along...?

How long have we been back in D1A again?

Longer than Marshall, UCF, USF, Troy, FAU, Boise St., etc.......

and they have all passed us 4 Sun Belt Titles or not.

With the exception of FAU they have all been to bowl games and at some point have dominated their respective leagues, much like what we did from 2001-2004.

Look where they have gone and look where we have gone. I think for many of us are tired of seeing lower schools go zooming by while we are stcuk in 1st or 2nd.

Call that complaining if you want too. dry.gif

With the exception of FAU they have all been to bowl games and at some point have dominated their respective leagues, much like what we did from 2001-2004.

Look where they have gone and look where we have gone. I think for many of us are tired of seeing lower schools go zooming by while we are stcuk in 1st or 2nd.

Call that complaining if you want too.  dry.gif

I certainly would not say either Troy or FAU have passed us. Troy has been to one bowl game ever and they lost. They have not dominated any Div. 1 conference nor have they won a conference title. The same is true for Florida Atlantic, except they have not even been to a bowl game yet!

Just because we lost a game to a team does NOT mean they have “gone zooming by!”

The main common denominator among all those schools is that they have better fan/alumni support and deeper pockets. Until we get those issues straightened out, it doesn't matter who our coach is. We had Hayden Fry and he left because of poor support. Until we get a critical number of fans who support the school and the program, regardless of the coach, offense, defense or whatever your special issue is then we will go nowhere.

Uh... You think those schools have gone zooming past us. Other than Boise St., I would'nt say any are above us and if so, only a little. There is know way would I use the term zooming!!!!!

By the way, I am proud to be a f#%^er!!!!! Shut up and get over it. Lets get ready to kick some a#4 this year and quit whining about the past.

The main common denominator among all those schools is that they have better fan/alumni support and deeper pockets. Until we get those issues straightened out, it doesn't matter who our coach is. We had Hayden Fry and he left because of poor support. Until we get a critical number of fans who support the school and the program, regardless of the coach, offense, defense or whatever your special issue is then we will go nowhere.

Bulls-eye ! sad.gif

Uh...  You think those schools have gone zooming past us.  Other than Boise St., I would'nt say any are above us and if so, only a little.   There is know way would I use the term zooming!!!!!

By the way, I am proud to be a f#%^er!!!!!  Shut up and get over it.  Lets get ready to kick some a#4 this year and quit whining about the past.

look at the whole athletic picture not just football and those teams have passed us. Outside of soccer we are not competitive with anyone out side of the Sun Belt among the major 12 conferences, just take a look at the results this year. In fact we are maybe middle of the pack in the Sun Belt over all athletics.

but once again would not facts to get in the way of the green kool-aid.

I'll shut up now and be another lemming. rolleyes.gif

Edited by untbowler

It is worse than I thought:

UNT is ranked #161 out of D-1A and D-1AA schools with 45 D-1AA school ahead of us.....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt05.htm

How does that make ya'll feel????

Any red flags waving and slapping you in the face??

Is this what 4 SBC championships have given us??

Is this what playing all the BCS schools have done for our program??? (OOC)

Where are the better players???? (recruiting)

Where is the coaching???? (you are being out coached)

Where is the P.R.??? (f%$#*)

These are just the facts!!!

#161.......#161........#161........#161........#161.......#161

For those of you who say that we are over reacting ...... well, WE ARE!!

Where is the accountability for this tragedy????

Where is the accountability???

accountability???

I feel like I am on the Titanic.

UNT is ranked #161 out of D-1A and D-1AA schools with 45 D-1AA school ahead of us.....

How does that make ya'll feel????

Any red flags waving and slapping you in the face??

Is this what 4 SBC championships have given us??

Is this what playing all the BCS schools have done for our program??? (OOC)

Where are the better players???? (recruiting)

Where is the coaching???? (you are being out coached)

These are just the facts!!!

#161.......#161........#161........#161........#161.......#161

For those of you who say that we are over reacting ...... well, WE ARE!!

Where is the accountability for this tragedy????

Where is the accountability???

accountability???

I feel like I am on the Titanic.

never let go Rose, never let go

The P.R.? What should we promote through press releases/ talking to media? Once they had material to pitch, they did a pretty good job last summer? When you have a bad season do you really want the message that the year went bad on the front page of the paper?

UNT is good at one sport most people do not care about - sorry soccer - i'm proud, but no mass appeal in this market. Great things can happen for students in a program outside of wins and losses, but what do we do that is truly newsworthy to the general public? When the team actually accomplishes something it gets covered - would you rather send a bunch of the vapor releases they are forced to post on the main website?

I've got a story for you - Nate Dogg to drop pants at 11 am tomorrow in Athletic Complex lobby. Film a B Roll and ship that one off to Channel 8!

We had one truly awful year after 3 good ones and one 5-7 surprise. No one is saying last year was good. But, no team is up every year.

I notice that Florida Atlantic, which “zoomed by” us is ranked 160. And in 2002 when we ended at 64, there was still several 1AA schools “ranked” above us.

If you read the disclaimers in Sagarin he points out that you can not use the system to compare 1A to 1AA as there are not enough games between the two groups for the statistics to work. The sample size is not large enough.

yea, i guess you are right....i should follow another sport.........

well it can not be BB because we are rated #195

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0506.htm ohmy.gif

to let some of you know I do support UNT.........but.........when the FB team is ranked #161 and the BB team is ranked #195 it is difficult, to say the least, to be pleased with the DIRECTION of the program that the university fathers have charted for us.

If some of you are pleased to be "Brokeback Mountained" into believing that all is well with the "status quo" of our major athletic programs in D-1A then I respect your opinion.....I dont agree with it but I do respect that you have an opinion.

DD and JJ are the pawns of RV just like RV is the pawn of the BOR. Someone must take responsibility to "chart a course" of success. Evidently, I feel like the "Ancient Maranier" with, "Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink."

If the status quo of UNT athletics still remains below 100 will ya'll say, again, "wait until next year?"

How much longer do you want to say wait until next year?? 1 year, 2 years, 3 years??

My expectations next year still remain: win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team....if not ........well, you know my opinion.....change!!!

I agree support has always been a struggle at NT, but aren't DD & RV out selling the progtam during the offseason? This is common at most of the D1 programs. Most caoches are out speaking to alumni groups, students or anyone that will listen selling the program, drumming up support and attempting to sell more season tickets. NT has a coach that goes unheard between Spring practice and the start of Fall. RV promises quarterly meetings that don't happen.

We have a group here that would do anything to help the program, but nothing is done to capitalize on this "free" help. So much could be and should be done, but we just get the same old thing. A coach that badmouths the school and fans.

Oh and bowler, I don't thin¬?

I appreciate Darrell apologizing/explaining his comments, but I still can't understand his reasoning for presenting them like he did. Couldn't he have explained things in a little more professional, mature like manner?

I'll still support the Green and White of NT, but I'll never be able to forget the "bitch-slapping" we took from Tulsa. I still feel like an abused child. Our performance was inexcusable. mad.gif

yea, i guess you are right....i should follow another sport.........

well it can not be BB because we are rated #195

If some of you are pleased to be "Brokeback Mountained" into believing that all is well with the "status quo" of our major athletic programs in D-1A then I respect your opinion.....I dont agree with it but I do respect that you have an opinion.

Your favorite movie ? rolleyes.gif

Just because people don't get hysterical on a message board doesn't exactly mean that they beleive all is well.

Edited by MeanGreen61

My expectations next year still remain:  win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team....if not ........well, you know my opinion.....change!!!

Your expectations are unrealistic considering the season we just had. I cannot believe with all of the experience watching football you say you have that you cannot understand there are rebuilding years in college athletics. It takes time to build a consistent winner.

We took 3 or 4 steps forward and 1 step back. Granted, it was a big step back, but you cannot expect to leap forward like that. It would be nice, but I say as long as we don't get whipped like we did last year to mid major OOC teams that DD is doing an alright job. I can accept a loss for what it is, and if you are that sore and bitter of a loser you probably shouldn't be watching or playing sports. Sure everyone hates to lose, but some do it with class, not by screaming bloody murder at the top of your lungs just because you don't get your way, can type and have an internet connection.

As long as DD is not embarassing the program by cheating, trying his hardest to win every year and makes adjustments to correct last season there is really nothing I can dislike about him. What do you want?! Stop complaining until you want to buyout Dickey's contract and pay the 5 year salary of the Mac Brown or Pete Carroll you so desperately call for. A 2-9 season is hardly something to get so upset about that you post every day of the off-season about it.

The reason there is so much of this filth clogging the boards these days is because the loudest ones on here are the ones calling for DD's underpants. Every level headed individual that frequents this board just passes over this tired crap waiting for the season to start and never responds to any of it while the others just stand in a corner and talk to the wall.

Where is the can-do attitude that so many other offseasons are and were filled with? We will never win any fans or donors if they keep reading the kind of crap you keep throwing on this board. We should be looking to improve situations, not tear everyone down who is actively involved in building a program. Affect what you can and realize what you can't.

Where did everyone's sense of humor go that made this board so enjoyable to visit in the past? blink.gif

And I will again jump into the shadows while the same 4 or 5 bitter old people respond to this post to tell me that I am a DD apologist and I love losing and am very happy to be mediocre.

GOMEANGREEN.COM... I wish I could quit you.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!

MeanMag-

If you are complacently content with UNT being #161 in football I can really appreciate your opionion....I do not agree with it but I do appreciate it.

By your statements it appears that you are satisfied with competitive loses instead of being "Tulsa'ed" into submission in OOC games. I do not agree. I believe that UNT should be able to out recruit, out play and out coach any team we play. It is my opionion that the current coach has not proven that over 8 years.

It is also my opinion that winning 2 OOC games, running the belt and beating the #4 CUSA team is a realistic goal, if you truely consider that last year was an off year. If you do not have "any" expectations for the team then, IMHO, you are part of the "status quo" crowd who want competitive loses instead of wins.

If you remember everyones last year's expectations were as high as what mine have been over the last several months because of the team that we were returning. Now, with one bad year you appear to be backing off quite a bit to lower your expectations of the team and the coach. To me that is egregious.

If you have a student that is capable of making "A's" and "B's" and one year makes "C's" and "D's" do you lower his expectations the following year just to do the same???

UNT is capable of being a class program but IMHO DD is not the one to lead the team because of his coaching, recruiting and PR abilities. I am not degrading his character in anyway with that statement.

but I say as long as we don't get whipped like we did last year to mid major OOC teams that DD is doing an alright job. I can accept a loss for what it is, and if you are that sore and bitter of a loser you probably shouldn't be watching or playing sports.

And I will again jump into the shadows while the same 4 or 5 bitter old people respond to this post to tell me that I am a DD apologist and I love losing and am very happy to be mediocre.

Well, when you make statements like the one in the first paragraph, then even the most casual observer would come to the conclusion that you're inviting comments about loving losing and being happy to be mediocre.

I'm not one of the "bitter" people that is calling for DD to be fired. I want him to succeed, and therefore my University will succeed. But telling him that as long as North Texas doesn't get whipped quite as bad as last year then we're satisfied is not the way for a program to succeed.

Graduating during the Hayden Fry era, I guess that I just got spoiled. Hayden showed up and told us that we were NOT LOSERS, and that as long as he was head coach, his teams would always show up to win.

I've never heard that message from DD. What I keep hearing (and I really do hope that I'm wrong) is the "use against the world" message that he seems to convey to his team to try and keep them motivated.

What I want is for Coach Dickey to either get more "adjustable" in preparing for games.........and during the games as well. Or hire someone who has that ability.

I also want him to get a new upbeat line of bull$hit to convey to the fans.

Just one time (after the usual coaching niceities of complimenting his opponent and their program) I'd like to hear him clearly say that it's his intention to go down to Austin (or go up to Norman...or where ever) and beat the Longhorns, Sooners, Hurricanes....etc.

So what if they put it up on their bulletin boards? Could our beatings be any worse than last year?

My question to those who accept our current "status quo" situation is:

1. What minimul W-L record, this year, is acceptable to you to keep DD for another year?

You know what mine are: Win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team in the N.O. Bowl.

Do you think that is too much for DD to accomplish based upon:

1. Having 1 bad year out of 5.

2. Having a good recruiting class.

3. Getting a new DC.

4. Getting a new JC QB.

5. Having our current QB's with 1 year under their belt.

6. Implementing a more creative offensive scheme.

As long as DD is not embarassing the program by cheating, trying his hardest to win every year and makes adjustments to correct last season there is really nothing I can dislike about him.  What do you want?!  Stop complaining until you want to buyout Dickey's contract and pay the 5 year salary of the Mac Brown or Pete Carroll you so desperately call for.  A 2-9 season is hardly something to get so upset about that you post every day of the off-season about it. 

I completely agree with this.

I have a couple of questions for eulesseagle...

You say you want change...

1) if we change how long will the new coach have until he is fired?

2) if a new coach comes in what are your expectations the first year?

3) if he doesn't meet those expectations then he should get fired the very next year right?

4) who are you wanting to replace DD with?

5) how much are you willing for the university to pay on top of DD's buyout?

How in the world can we build a program when we expect to have a new coach every 2 years under your system. Who in their right mind would want to come to NT with the "Win or Get Fired!" contract you are suggesting?

How many coaches have we gone through to get to this point? The university has tried it your way in the past and look how successful we were. Yes I think we are in dire need for a change... One that gives the most successful coach since Hayden Fry some time to finish what he started.

To answer your question:

1. What minimul W-L record, this year, is acceptable to you to keep DD for another year?

I think that we shold honor the contract we gave him.