All MG Sports at a loss for '05-'06

I want to build on GrayEagleOne's comment (in another thread) on all the Mean Green Sports this year.

Do you all agree that this year has been a downer for MG sports (exept for soccer and women's basketball, and both of those got knocked out in the first round of their respective tournaments)? As I see it, this year's teams haven't been entertaining, and I'm hoping '06-'07 has some better moments.

Anyone agree?

I want to build on GrayEagleOne's comment (in another thread) on all the Mean Green Sports this year.

Do you all agree that this year has been a downer for MG sports (exept for soccer and women's basketball, and both of those got knocked out in the first round of their respective tournaments)?  As I see it, this year's teams haven't been entertaining, and I'm hoping '06-'07 has some better moments.

Anyone agree?

Actually there is a lot of difference, the soccer team got beat in the NCAA tournament, the women's basketball team in the first game of the Belt tournament. I think the women basketball team was a big disappointment based on the talent and experience on that team. The soccer team did not start a single senior and still won the conference regular season and tournament.

NT has had some bad sports years and I doubt this year is close to the worse. But when your two main revenue sports, men basketball and football are both at the bottom of the conference, it is a bad year. As far as the other sports, I don't know why NT is not at the top of the all sports standings every year. NT has the largest enrollment except FIA (who is much more of a communter school) and is in the middle of the biggest recruitment area in the Belt and should dominate the secondary sports. For example, the limit in women's women and diving is 8 ships for the whole team. So most are on partial ships and teams depend on walk-ons to excel. How can a team from NT be so non-competitive in this sport other than noone really cares? It seems that most non-revenue sports at NT are after thoughts and only serve to fulfill Division 1 criteria, with the objective of winning only a secondary consideration.

Edited by GrandGreen

Actually there is a lot of difference, the soccer team got beat in the NCAA tournament, the women's basketball team in the first game of the Belt tornament.  I think the women basketball team was a big disappointment based on the talent and experience on that team.  The soccer team did not start a single senior and still won the conference regular season and tournament.

NT has had some bad sports years and I doubt this year is close to the worse.  But when your two main revenue sports, men basketball and football are both at the bottom of the conferenc, it is a bad year.  As far as the other sports, I don't know why NT is not at the top of the all sports standings every year.  NT has the largest enrollment except FIA (who is  much more of a communter school) and is in the middle of the biggest recruitment area in the Belt and should dominate the secondary sports.  For example, the limit in women's women and diving is 8 ships for the whole team.  So most are on partial ships and teams depend on walk-ons to excel.  How can a team from NT be so non-competitive in this sport other than noone really cares?  It seems that most non-revenue sports at NT are after thoughts and only serve to fulfil Division 1 criteria, with the objective of winning only a secondary consideration.

Well, we can hope for a better year in '06-'07.

2005-06 was a lousy year for Mean Green sports overall. I still look for hope for improvement with the new facilities at Eagle Point, but even some of the momentum there seems to have slowed. Little info about construction anymore or any future football stadium plans. Where's all the future excitement about growth and CUSA gone? sad.gif

Do you all agree that this year has been a downer for MG sports (exept for soccer and women's basketball, and both of those got knocked out in the first round of their respective tournaments)?  As I see it, this year's teams haven't been entertaining, and I'm hoping '06-'07 has some better moments.

Anyone agree?

Yeah, like the other guy said, soccer got beat in the NCAA tournament. They won the Sunbelt tournament (again).