Cobbs not likely to be drafted

cjones

I just talked to Dan Shonka from Ourlads Draft Guide and he thinks he is a Free Agent pickup for someone like Awasom last year. He credits this to Cobbs small size and those backs tend to not last long in the league. He compared Cobbs to Fred Russell last year who went undrafted from Iowa and who had a great career there.

I think you should reserve judgement until after the Combine. Cobbs has ability as a special teams player, which many running backs do not. Although Cobbs is not particularly large, he has a way of running through defenders that I think NFL scouts and coaches will be able to appreciate.

In addition, Cobbs's National Rushing Title does carry a bit of weight, as well as his solid performance despite playing on a bad team this past year. It will also depend on how many teams need running backs and special teams players. Of course, after the kicking year this year, I think Bazaldua has an excellent shot.

---I think his small size is over-emphasized... He may not be able to be an "every-down" back but would fit in well as a third-down back or special teams player that can serve a a running back/receiver in many situations.

----Walter Peyton and Barry Sanders were not all that large and neither is Dante Hall [5'8'. 187] who was a RB at A&M but plays receiver and return guy for KC.

--Will he drafted.?....maybe, in late rounds..... by someone needing a return guy and a thrid down RB. His Hula Bowl experience demonstrated his ability as a RB, receiver, return guy and on other special teams.... I think he will stick somewhere.

I think you should reserve judgement until after the Combine. Cobbs has ability as a special teams player, which many running backs do not. Although Cobbs is not particularly large, he has a way of running through defenders that I think NFL scouts and coaches will be able to appreciate.

In addition, Cobbs's National Rushing Title does carry a bit of weight, as well as his solid performance despite playing on a bad team this past year. It will also depend on how many teams need running backs and special teams players. Of course, after the kicking year this year, I think Bazaldua has an excellent shot.

Don't thiink Cobb was invited to the combine. I think he will make an NFL roster however.

----Walter Peyton and Barry Sanders were not all that large and neither is Dante Hall [5'8'. 187]  who was a RB at A&M but plays receiver and return guy for KC.

Emmitt Smith - 5'10" (216) - 15 years

Tiki Barber - 5'10" (200) - 9 years and counting

Patrick Cobbs - 5'9" (205) if the roster is accurate.

I don't get the "size" issue either.

Keith

----Walter Peyton and Barry Sanders were not all that large and neither is Dante Hall [5'8'. 187]  who was a RB at A&M but plays receiver and return guy for KC.

You realize that you just named two of the best and most talented RBs in the history of football, right? Also, Dante Hall has track star speed which is why he is in the NFL. I love Cobbs and hope that he can catch on somewhere, but there is no comparison between him and those players.

Guest JohnDenver

You realize that you just named two of the best and most talented RBs in the history of football, right? Also, Dante Hall has track star speed which is why he is in the NFL. I love Cobbs and hope that he can catch on somewhere, but there is no comparison between him and those players.

Those are the people on the top of NFL fans' heads.

There are TONS of people considered too small that are/were RBs in the NFL.

Warrick Dun.

Cadillac Williams.

Charlie Parker.

Darren(sp) Sproles.

J.J. Arrington.

Nick Ayers.

Ladell Betts.

Dee Brown.

Aveion Cason.

DeAndra Cobb.

Adimchinobe Echemandu.

Kevin Faulk.

Julius Jones.

Ryan Moats.

I am sure you can get the point.

This is a FRACTION of the (current) running backs that are sub 6 and sub 200 pounds.

All those players listed are 5'8"" to 5'10" in the 200lb or less range.

---I absolutely understand.... One thing that makes the NFL so interesting is the diversity of players. There are the powerful onces such as Earl Campbell and Bettis that have just run over people and there are the small scatbacks that just seem to find holes and get away from people and there are the speedsters and fast accelleraters such as Dorsett that if he got an inch it might be a mile.... The oddest of the bunch might be Emmitt Smith who wasn't extremely fast or big... but was able to find holes and was tough as boot and could actually catch pretty well which many backs can't do. I am not saying Cobb will be a great success but with a little luck and at the right place he could do very well.

Note the list posted above ... there have been a lot other rather small backs, not just a few..... I just used a couple of well known names.

---The greatest example of a underestimated small guy was a guy I used to watch here in Midland College in basketball... No one gave him a 4-year scholarship out of HS so he went to our junior college, won the JC National Championship, went to NC State and played for the defending NCAA Champ under Valvano and made it to the NBA where he did rather well.... He was the 5'6" Spud Webb. In the first game I saw him play he had several dunks and a goal-tending call which brought the crowd to their feet, laughing.

Yes, I know there are a lot of "undersized" backs in the NFL. I'm not saying that Cobbs can't make it. In fact I think if he finds the right situation he can contribute to a NFL team. But a lot of those guys have a certain skill that sets them apart from the rest of the "undersized" guys who don't make it. I'm not sure what that is with Cobbs. He can do many things well at the collegiate level, but what is he going to do exceptionally well at the pro level which will let him make a team and get on the field? Hopefully we get to find out.

Again, I want to say that I want to see Cobbs make a NFL team and do well. Just because I'm not ready to put him as an all time NFL great it doesn't mean that I am rooting against him or anything. Yes, I know that "undersized" guys excel and have excelled in all sports. I'm not saying they don't or can't. Please understand this.

---The topic is getting drafted...... not all-NFL. I still say it could happen if someone has a need for RB that can play special teams and can catch the the short pass. After that how he does is up to him and the circumstances that he gets placed in. He has more value than as a typical RB and it is likely someone that scouted the Hula bowl noticed.

---You never really know-- Clarette (jerk) thought he was cinch NFL star and could not make any team... While Samsun Gato was not a star at a lower college level and did pretty well last year in the NFL. A lot has to do with the opportunities that occur and luck, as well as talent.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Warrick Dun.

Cadillac Williams.

Charlie Parker.

Darren(sp) Sproles.

J.J. Arrington.

Nick Ayers.

Ladell Betts.

Dee Brown.

Aveion Cason.

DeAndra Cobb.

Adimchinobe Echemandu.

Kevin Faulk.

Julius Jones.

Ryan Moats.

This is a FRACTION of the (current) running backs that are sub 6 and sub 200 pounds.

Emmitt Smith was around 5'9" 190 when he came into the league and he didn't do too badly. I've been around him more than once and I don't think he's gotten any taller. Most of the great ones in "recent times" have been roughly along the lines of 5'9-6' and around 190-210 lbs. when they entered the league. Sure there have been some exceptions in the past, but it's much easier to name great RB's in that size range than it is to name the exceptions. Some of the bigger ones don't last very long because they don't have the elusiveness to avoid the monster LB's of today's game. PC may be at the lower end of the ideal range, but he has quite a few things going for him. We shall see.

Warrick Dun.

Cadillac Williams.

Charlie Parker.

Darren(sp) Sproles.

J.J. Arrington.

Nick Ayers.

Ladell Betts.

Dee Brown.

Aveion Cason.

DeAndra Cobb.

Adimchinobe Echemandu.

Kevin Faulk.

Julius Jones.

Ryan Moats.

Most of the guys you are naming were top 4 or 5 round picks for a reason - and it wasn't size. A list of short guys is cute, but most of the guys you listed had some buzz going into the draft - except the crappy scatbacks you just threw in. The limitations here are not just size but no one will admit it. I'm sure the fact that he ran back a kick for a few yards and threw some blocks turned scouts' heads everywhere. Just like Bazaldua's ability to kick the ball, miss, and not fall down probably got him a roster spot on the Jets.

And when did Jazz Legend Charlie Parker get drafted? Do you mean Willie Parker - because that would actually help your case. He also played a school that develops NFL backs - WVU. Maybe saw someone him knock off some blocks in a senior bowl game and took the plunge. Or maybe he did something to prove it - I don't know I'm not an expert, but you guys are.

I'll be in the hammock with JQ if you need to flame me....

Oh and people take chances on players from lesser known schools all the time - look at some NFL rosters. Just because we do not produce much (yet) does not mean it is not there.

I hope Cobbs gets drafted too, but the year of the Quinn is at hand. My hand.

Guest JohnDenver

Most of the guys you are naming were top 4 or 5 round picks for a reason - and it wasn't size. A list of short guys is cute, but most of the guys you listed had some buzz going into the draft - except the crappy scatbacks you just threw in. The limitations here are not just size but no one will admit it. I'm sure the fact that he ran back a kick for a few yards and threw some blocks turned scouts' heads everywhere. Just like Bazaldua's ability to kick the ball, miss, and not fall down probably got him a roster spot on the Jets.

And when did Jazz Legend Charlie Parker get drafted? Do you mean Willie Parker - because that would actually help your case. He also played a school that develops NFL backs - WVU.  Maybe saw someone him knock off some blocks in a senior bowl game and took the plunge. Or maybe he did something to prove it - I don't know I'm not an expert, but you guys are.

I'll be in the hammock with JQ if you need to flame me....

Oh and people take chances on players from lesser known schools all the time - look at some NFL rosters. Just because we do not produce much (yet) does not mean it is not there.

I hope Cobbs gets drafted too, but the year of the Quinn is at hand. My hand.

What is up your ass?

Typo'ed on the Charlie name ... You got my drift.

I don't think anyone claimed to be an expert around here.

Saying Cobbs doesn't have "NFL Size" is just wrong. A "scatback" (as you point out) is valuable member of a team ... A LA Dave Megget.

As for you wanting to point out typos -- Learn to really debate on the internet ...

Just because someone doesn't have a lot of time at work to double check a name, doesn't mean you can't understand their point. You did. And you want to have a smart ass response ...

No, not MOST of that list are not high round picks. I don't consider 4th round a high round. A few on that list are high round picks. I was only going for shear number of short backs in the NFL ... you know ... ignoring the greatest backs of all time.