2007 Prospect gets away

Cooley

Blue Zertuche

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Analyst

Richardson Pearce's 6'8" Jr. post player, Jonathan Sloan made a verbal commitment earlier this week to attend college near home. He won't have to travel far to hit the campus of SMU in the fall of 2007. After taking an unofficial visit to North Texas and one to SMU, it was a decision that just felt right.

"I chose SMU after talking to my family," said Sloan. "We felt that it was the best place to go."

One thing that stuck out in Sloan's mind on his unofficial visit was the way that coach Tubbs conducts himself during practice. "On the court coach Tubbs is really positive with the players, and is a good coach."

With a record of 3-3 in district play and stuck in a four way tie for third, Sloan feels that consistency is the key to winning. "We go on long streaks during the game and make our shots," said Sloan. "Then we let the other team go on a streak of their own to get themselves back in the game. We need to be more consistent on both ends of the court.

Sloan clogs up the middle for Pearce, but feels that with some time and practice he can develop into becoming a wing player. "The SMU coaches haven't said where they will play me, but I can play the four for them. I need to work on my strength and ball handeling skills and then maybe I can play the wing."

Sloan is not sure what he will study, but he is interested in coaching.

Texas Hoops Analysis: JONATHAN is a very smart post player that plays hard and is scrappy. He has a big frame and takes up space in the lane. He likes to score on the block and has good footwork and hands. He will rebound and is a good passer from the high post.

One thing that stuck out in Sloan's mind on his unofficial visit was the way that coach Tubbs conducts himself during practice. "On the court coach Tubbs is really positive with the players, and is a good coach."

I'm wondering if he actually saw Coach Jones on the practice court???

If he had, I don't think he would have said this.

Personally, I think he just wanted to get his degree from SMU. After the comments by the scout editor, it kinda sounds like he is just a big guy with no ball handling ability. I don't think we lost anything here either.

There are plenty of big kids out there with better talent.

Blue Zetuche

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Analyst

For the second time in less than a week, SMU has grabbed yet another player from the 2007 class from the Dallas Metroplex area. This time SMU picks up a versatile foward that can go inside and out. 6'7" Alex Malone from Mansfield Timberview has made his pledge to join Jonathan Sloan as a future Mustang. The soft spoken Malone talks about his verbal commitment just minutes after leaving the basketball gym.

"I committed to SMU earlier tonight," said Malone. "It was an easy decision because of location and I like the coaches." Malone goes on talking about the basketball program at SMU and what he liked about it. "SMU is a very athletic, quick, strong team that I feel that I fit in." Malone leaves no doubt that he will be ready to play at the Conference USA level by the time the fall of 2007 rolls around. "I was told that I will have the chance to play both the four and the three position. I feel that I perform well from the wing. My strength is my outside shot, and then get the defense off balance and penetrate. I do need to improve my ball handling skills and I work on that daily."

Along side of Malone was his father, Otis Malone who was a big part of his decision making process. "I am really pleased with the opportunity to see my son play college basketball close by," said a proud Mr. Malone. "Coach Tubbs and his staff treat their players very well and you can tell how much they love basketball and their players."

Timberview is 1-1 in district with eight games left to go and Malone has a few goals for his team. "We are focused on winning district and our next step is a trip to state."

Malone is planning on studing engineering at SMU.

Texas Hoops Analysis: Malone is a long and lanky athlete who can run the floor and finishes well on the move. He is a good leaper, can finish at the rim and has long arms. He is a nice rebounder and shot blocker and can put the ball on the floor from 12 feet and finish. He will need to get much stronger for the next level but has the time and frame to add the necessary weight. Talk about it in: