Holy Moly!

SilverEagle

Posted on Tue, Jan. 10, 2006

COLLEGE NOTES

Record donation to OSU

Wire ReportsOklahoma State University plans to announce a donation today touted as the highest in NCAA history for an athletic program. The donation would be the latest in a series of large gifts for the university, which is overhauling and expanding its athletic facilities. The size of the donation and the person making it were not disclosed. Oklahoma State hopes to create an athletic village with upgraded facilities.

According to OSU, the school spent $11.7 million on its athletic facilities from 1967 to 1999. The university's athletic budget ranks 10th in the Big 12. The cost of the plan is estimated at $500 million.

HEAVY SIGH!! sad.gif

the $500 mill also includes academic facilities on the campus.

article

either way, great for them. So can we call people who are fans of OkState bootlickers now?  dry.gif

No we need to hate all teams with more fan support, donors, and better facilities than us - its the only way to grow and earn respect. Wait, that sounds pretty stupid when you say it out loud...

Maybe part of the gap is our own fault....hmmmm (please flame me now and tell me how evil the BCS is and how it is what's keeping us down from breaking the top 100)

that is awesome. At first I was gonna say that if I had a business idea that somehow netted me a cool billion $, I could see myself donating a lot of money to various things, inlcuding NT's athletics. Then I had another thought, so here's my HSO:

Assuming there are still people who want to go to college and cant afford to do so, how many students could $160 million educate?

Not trying to bring up the debate on athletics funding vs academics, etc. Just a thought...

there was an article about the Troy donor as well on ESPN.com

Troy

Quotes of note:

And I think that is probably due to the TV coverage we have gotten of the stadium. And, of course, one of the good things is we picked a good horse to ride. Troy University is kind of a Cinderella-type team. They have had some great successes beating Marshall and beating Missouri [in 2004]. They sort of delivered in doing what they said they were going to try and do.

and then

"Obviously if they'd gotten blown out in every game I probably would be less excited about it. They've been on national and regional TV quite often, so that Movie Gallery Stadium, logos and all, has certainly gotten around the southeast."

and then on academic perception based on athletic production...

"Like I tell them at Missouri, 'People don't sit around on any given day very often and talk about what is happening at the University of Missouri's School of Business. They sit around and talk about what is happening with the Mizzou football team.' It is just branding."