NT Recruiting Upgrade A Must: La Tech Has 2 QB's

PlummMeanGreen

While we still continue to look for our QB needles in whatever haystacks we seem to annually and seemedly most arduously seek out that skilled position, La Tech (a good barometer for us most might agree) has 2 or 3 QB's in the NFL now with a RB who declared early last Spring and is now in the NFL with the Detroit I believe. Shall we all be reminded that La Tech also has one QB in the NFL Hall of Fame, too?

Yet with such talent that would become NFL'ers the Bulldogs have several impressive OOC wins or closely played high profile games under their belt and are just doing something to get better across the board recruits than we have lately; and for proof we only have to look at our game vs the La Tech Dawgs' just weeks ago.

Some on this board have called our alma mater "Tailback U" but we haven't had a RB in the NFL since Erric Pegram, so maybe we need to hold back on all that "TBU" business?

UNT must start recruiting better athletes than to just be good enough to be at the top of the SBC or to get just enough wins in the SBC to save a few jobs here and there. So maybe we should adopt a "shoot for the moon and hit the barn" type of recruiting philosophy now? Is that how La Tech gets all those skill people who go to the NFL that we can't seem to give us the time of day during recruiting season? We know the problems here, but just what are some of the answers with how difficult it is to recruit skill people at NT such as La Tech seems to do annually right in our backyard?

Old Timer, I haven't seen Dallas, Fort Worth or Houston Top "area" lists of late, but are we showing up on any recruit's choices compared to those schools we normally recruit against? Just curious to know all that as I know anyone who has followed Mean Green football for a few seasons or more ordinarily would be.

And please, as far as our recruiting is concerned.........lets not sugar-coat this cake if we find out there are those pesky little bugs in the cake flour before we put the darn thing in the oven. As ol' Howard Cosell used to say: Just tell it like it is and if anyone cannot deal with the way things are (or what a few might even be tempted to call the, uh, truth) maybe they should either become fiction writers or go to work for the Denton Record Chronicle Sports Department who when things can be in their darkest hour for NT athletics still has nothing but sunshine, lollipops, rainbows and warm fuzzies to write about when it comes to dealing with such things; that is, things and scenarios that we as NT fans and alums merely observe (and even dare to question at times). ph34r.gif

I suppose some of the DRC staff have been bullied by a few at NT (pardon my laughter with that scenario) who may have even threatened the DRC'ers by telling them they won't get first dibs on "the Big Scoop" if they start getting too realistic in their reporting about the way thing really might just be in Denton? Are we witnessing the very rebirth of Pravda in Denton, Texas? smile.gif If so, what a helluva' thing to be held hostage by those who are just not really all that seasoned or successful in NCAA D1-A outside SBC play, of course.

But back to the original question: When does NT start recruiting skill people who we hope (just like La Tech's) will end up in the NFL? When that happens, doesn't it stand to reason that we (like the Bulldogs) will start getting some of those big wins over Michigan State, Alabama, Fresno St (on national TV 2 weeks ago) and others similar the Bulldogs have defeated in recent years with their skill people, ie, future NFL talent (most of whom were recruited by the Louisiana school you know where)? sad.gif

Yet...........aren't we good enough at UNT to expect just as much as what the La Tech's, the Tulsa's, the SMU's and the MAC football conference winners who are most always Top 25 schools are getting? Certainly we are good enough. We deserve just as much as all the aforementioned and don't let anyone on this board, on the NT campus or anywhere else tell you any different.

GOD BLESS THE LONE STAR STATE

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

While we still continue to look for our QB needles in whatever haystacks we've been looking for them of late, La Tech (a good barometer for us most might agree) has 2 or 3 QB's in the NFL now with a RB who declared early and is now in the NFL ie, Detroit I believe.   Shall we all be reminded that La Tech also has one QB in the NFL Hall of Fame, too? 

Yet with such talent the Bulldogs have several impressive OOC wins or closely played high profile games under their belt and are just doing something to get better across the board recruits than we have lately; and for proof we just have to look at our game vs the Dawgs' just weeks ago.

Some on this board have called our alma mater "Tailback U" but we haven't had a RB in the NFL since Erric Pegram, so maybe we need to hold back on all that "TBU" business?

UNT must start recruiting better athletes than to just be good enough to be at the top of the SBC or to get just enough wins in the SBC to save a few jobs here and there.  So maybe we should adopt a "shoot for the moon and hit the barn" type of recruiting philosophy now?  Is that how La Tech gets all those skill people who go to the NFL that we can't seem to give us the time of day during recruiting season?  We know the problems here, but just what are some of the answers with how difficult it is to recruit skill people at NT such as La Tech seems to do annually right in our backyard?

Old Timer, I haven't seen Dallas, Fort Worth or Houston Top "area" lists of late, but are we showing up on any recruit's choices compared to those schools we normally recruit against?  Just curious to know all that as I know anyone who has followed Mean Green football for a few seasons or more ordinarily would be. 

And please, as far as our recruiting is concerned.........lets not sugar-coat this cake if we find out there are those pesky little bugs in the cake flour before we put the darn thing in the oven.  As ol' Howard Cosell used to say:  Just tell it like it is and if anyone cannot deal with the way things are (or what a few might even be tempted to call the, uh, truth) maybe they should either become fiction writers or go to work for the Denton Record Chronicle Sports Department who when things can be in their darkest hour for NT athletics still has nothing but sunshine, lollipops, rainbows and warm fuzzies to write about when it comes to dealing with such things; that is, things and scenarios that we as NT fans and alums merely observe (and even dare to question at times). ph34r.gif

I suppose some of the DRC staff have been bullied by a few at NT (pardon my laughter with that scenario) who may have even threatened the DRC'ers by telling them they won't get first dibs on "the Big Scoop" if they start getting too realistic in their reporting about the way thing really might just be in Denton?  Are we witnessing the very rebirth of Pravda in Denton, Texas? smile.gif  If so, what a helluva' thing to be held hostage by those who are just not really all that seasoned or successful in NCAA D1-A outside SBC play, of course. 

But back to the original question: When does NT start recruiting skill people who we hope (just like La Tech's) will end up in the NFL?  When that happens, doesn't it stand to reason that we (like the Bulldogs) will start getting some of those big wins over Michigan State, Alabama, Fresno St (on national TV 2 weeks ago) and others similar the Bulldogs have defeated in recent years with their skill people, ie, future NFL talent (most of whom were recruited by the Louisiana school you know where)?  sad.gif

Yet...........aren't we good enough at UNT to expect just as much as what the La Tech's, the Tulsa's, the SMU's and the MAC football conference winners who are most always Top 25 schools are getting?  Certainly we are good enough.  We deserve just as much as all the aforementioned and don't let anyone on this board, on the NT campus or anywhere else tell you any different.

GOD BLESS THE LONE STAR STATE

Slightly off topic as far as the NFL is concerned, but does anyone know anything about that little RB out of Houston Jones? He was the only player listed in the Houston Chronicle Rivals.com listing last Sunday as considering North Texas. When I say little I mean little. He was listed at 5' 6", 165. He must be good at that size to get those kind of accolades.

Slightly off topic as far as the NFL is concerned, but does anyone know anything about that little RB out of Houston Jones? He was the only player listed in the Houston Chronicle Rivals.com listing last Sunday as considering North Texas. When I say little I mean little. He was listed at 5' 6", 165. He must be good at that size to get those kind of accolades.

I'll actually be glad when the NFL becomes a very popular topic on this forum as a discussion of just how good skill position players who attended UNT are doing on Sundays.

But was only talking about the NFL in how it related to La Tech's skill position alums playing on Sundays who did sorta' help them get wins against the kind of schools we haven't won against in a very, very long time in Mean Green Country.

Sorry to be off topic as far as the little RB from Houston is concerned. Some (including myself) might also want to know who else is recruiting him? It's still defensive and offensive linemen of notable size that we desparately need at UNT and I don't see that being addressed in our recruiting at this time. Hope that changes and changes very soon.

GBT!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'll actually be glad when the NFL becomes a very popular topic on this forum as a discussion of just how good skill position players who attended UNT are doing on Sundays.

But was only talking about the NFL in how it related to La Tech's skill position alums playing on Sundays who did sorta' help them get wins against the kind of schools we haven't won against in a very, very long time in Mean Green Country.

Sorry to be off topic as far as the little RB from Houston is concerned.  Some (including myself) might also want to know who else is recruiting him?  It's still defensive and offensive linemen of notable size that we desparately need at UNT and I don't see that being addressed in our recruiting at this time.  Hope that changes and changes very soon.

GBT!

Back to the topic. You're certainly correct about our lack of NFL'ers at the skill positions. Hopefully PC will give it a good run next year. If Jamario can get it back together (weight, injuries, etc.), I think he'll be a lock in a couple of years. I also wouldn't rule out JQ as an outside shot. He has marginal NFL size/speed, but he certainly has the hands. I guess all the little intangibles will have to come into play for him to have a chance. Don't see anything at the QB position with DD at the helm.

As far as lineman are concerned, we better get it going quick. If we don't get 3-4 big-time JC guys in here immediately, then we better set up a dorm in the weight room. These guys just weren't physically strong enough this year. Maybe the guys we missed this year will make it back. Hope so.

Back to the topic. You're certainly correct about our lack of NFL'ers at the skill positions. Hopefully PC will give it a good run next year. If Jamario can get it back together (weight, injuries, etc.), I think he'll be a lock in a couple of years. I also wouldn't rule out JQ as an outside shot. He has marginal NFL size/speed, but he certainly has the hands. I guess all the little intangibles will have to come into play for him to have a chance. Don't see anything at the QB position with DD at the helm.

As far as lineman are concerned, we better get it going quick. If we don't get 3-4 big-time JC guys in here immediately, then we better set up a dorm in the weight room. These guys just weren't physically strong enough this year. Maybe the guys we missed this year will make it back. Hope so.

Actually, Johnny "The Mighty" Quinn runs a 4.4 forty which I think will be just fine with most NFL scouts. It will be his hands that will impress them the most over what should be an acceptable speed (even at NFL standards). If most will remember, even Michael Irvin was no speed merchant when he came into the NFL, and even moreso after his first knee injury.

Totally agree with your last paragraph, foutsrouts, on the linemen part. I don't know if NT can get 3-4 of substantial quality in the JUCO ranks but right now even 1 or 2 might suffice.

I just think most of us would agree that we need to improve our entire recruiting across the board right along with our improved athletic facilities. I keep referring to the MAC, but their conference winners now annually seem to finish in the Top 25 and whoever wins the SBC from now on needs to start being pretty close to such standards because winning a league title, but being ranked somwhere between #90--#119 in NCAA D1-A is not what the doctor is ordering with most North Texas Exes I know.

Personally, I am anxious to see where this year's SBC football champion (ASU) ranks among all the other 119 NCAA D1-A schools. In fact, I wonder where they are now ranked before the bowl season begin? Anyone know? unsure.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I don't know what JQ's official 40's time is, but I certainly think he's tall enough and big enough to play in the NFL. Good God people, can you imagine how well JQ would do when he DOESN'T have to make a circus catch on 1/3 of all of his catches?

Johnny's official time from last spring was 4.42.

I'm not so sure his height is as much a handicap as you'd think. He's taller than Troy Brown, Wayne Chrebet, Daunte Hall, Lavernaeus Coles, Brandon Stokely, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, and he's as tall as Isaac Bruce, Brandon Lloyd, and Torry Holt.

I'd say he's safe. The main question will be the competition he played against.

I'm not so sure his height is as much a handicap as you'd think.  He's taller than Troy Brown, Wayne Chrebet, Daunte Hall, Lavernaeus Coles, Brandon Stokely, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, and he's as tall as Isaac Bruce, Brandon Lloyd, and Torry Holt.

I'd say he's safe.  The main question will be the competition he played against.

If there were ever a can't miss NFL prospective receiver who will one day become some lucky NFL team's clutch receiver, IMHO, I really believe that will be JQuinn.

How many other present NCAA D1-A schools have as good a total package of a receiver as JQ coming back next Fall? Of course, we on this message board will be a bit biased toward our guy, but his talent level speaks very loudly. Now if we only had a future NFL QB throwing the ball to JQ next Fall? sad.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

As far as NT emulating NFL talent...

Brad Kassel, Brian Waters, Cody Spencer... am I leaving out anyone?

La Tech's seem to favor the offensive side and have been for a while.  Ours have traditionally been on the defensive side.

Tobey Gowan and Adrian Awasom. I would say that we do lean a little to the defense, but Waters is an OL and Gowan special teams.

I'm not so sure his height is as much a handicap as you'd think.  He's taller than Troy Brown, Wayne Chrebet, Daunte Hall, Lavernaeus Coles, Brandon Stokely, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, and he's as tall as Isaac Bruce, Brandon Lloyd, and Torry Holt.

I'd say he's safe.  The main question will be the competition he played against.

I think the biggest factor for JQ in the NFL will actually be his play on special teams. JQ likely won't be an early round pick, not in this school or this offense. Teams looking late for a WR won't be looking for their #1 or #2 and if you want to be on their roster after that you've got to play special teams. If you've shown an ability there, and you've got a good combination of size/speed/brains, then they don't care where you went or who you played or what offense you ran in.

Right now, the knock on him will be: "Sometimes tries to do to much to provide a spark, which can have disastrous results."

As far as NT emulating NFL talent...

Brad Kassel, Brian Waters, Cody Spencer... am I leaving out anyone?

La Tech's seem to favor the offensive side and have been for a while.  Ours have traditionally been on the defensive side.

Was mostly referring to how La Tech's "would be" NFL talent seems to have given their football program the kind of high profile victories in years past that have (because of our lack thereof) made many NT Exes and Mean Green fans question our direction and to what has caused some to even be curious as to what a few of our key officials at UNT are really calling success at the NCAA D1-A level. huh.gif

W/O belaboring the point again, we Mean Greeners seem to only have success with the Bottom 1/4'th quadrant of NCAA D1-A and that has not impressed other schools as to want to put DDickey on their "serious" coaching candidate's list. So there are some things that even a visually handicapped person can't ignore with such red flags concerning our football program; and I suppose all this being the original inspiration of the very subject line title of this GMG.com thread, ie, "Recruiting Upgrade A Must......?"

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was duly impressed (as well as depressed) with LTU's most convincing win over the Mean Green back in October and to put the red and blue icing on their Ruston-based school's cake, their national televised pulverization of a good Fresno State team who (only) gave just a week or 2 before the #1 team in all of NCAA D1-A all they could handle. Such scenarios as that are (at the present moment at least) only things that could happen for UNT in our dreams. After all, we haven't beaten a Top 20 school since the Hayden Fry era to give this even a bit more perspective. blink.gif

What happened this football season for all NCAA D1-A football teams was the culmination of 3-4 years of prior preparation for this football season, that is, all of our recruiting efforts for that period of time. Its just that many of us had previously thought we were ahead of La Tech in that department, too, but the scoreboard of our game in Ruston indicates otherwise.

In fact, I've read some posters on GMG.com who thought we would have (in any of our 4 bowl years) even been competitive in the upper part of the WAC, but I am a-feared that was also a theory and smack board H.S.O. gone amuck.. sad.gif

Something that I don't think has run amuck on GoMeanGreen.com is the direction that I feel each and everyone on this forum (and beyond) desire to see for our alma mater's football program. In fact, I feel the one who can pull that off in Denton, Texas, America, is the very same one who will get a 100% approval rating from Mean Green fans and our NT Ex alumnus base.

In fact a step further: That person can say all he very well pleases on any radio broadcasts as long as we can see advancement and progress beyond that of the Sun Belt Conference level of competition. I don't think that would be anything so new or novel, either, as far as goals for UNT's football program, now would it? ohmy.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Thanks for the info, illuvious32. I don't know how high he will get drafted after next football season at UNT, but I really think we are talking more than just a free agent signine with JQ.

.....................................................................................................

Can't remember what thread it was that one of you asked if NT NFL'ers in the past ever gave to their alma mater, but in the past (unfortunately) few NT Ex NFL'ers actually gave to the Mean Green Club; or at least that was what I was told years ago. I think this has been the case at other NCAA schools, also. sad.gif

What a nice gesture, though, that NT Board of Regent Chuck "Hatchet" Beatty, Mean Joe Greene, Cedric Hardman and others give much of their time as they put on their annual golf tournament over in south Dallas County.

Not too wild about the idea that some of the proceeds goes to the UNT System campus they didn't play their college football, though; but I know all of us who knew the late, great Ron Shanklin are very appreciative of those ex NT NFL'ers for having some of the proceeds go to his memorial scholarship fund (no matter what campus it benefits, although I assume it would be UNT-Denton).

Any of you remember years ago on Monday Night Football when SMU ex Dandy Don Meredith said he was glad his alma mater didn't have to play North Texas during the Mean Joe Greene era?

GOD BLESS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Right now, the knock on him will be: "Sometimes tries to do to much to provide a spark, which can have disastrous results."

You know, if the D would stop a drive and if DM would actually throw more catchable balls, JQ wouldn't be in the position where he'd feel a need to do something like that to save the game.

And heck, even if he didn't fumble, odd are that the subsequent offensive drive wouldn't make it.

You know, if the D would stop a drive and if DM would actually throw more catchable balls, JQ wouldn't be in the position where he'd feel a need to do something like that to save the game.

And heck, even if he didn't fumble, odd are that the subsequent offensive drive wouldn't make it.

All things that the scouts won't give a rat's butt about.

It is still something to concern any team interested in drafting him. Putting a ball on the ground, for ANY reason, won't be looked at lightly by NFL scouts.

Scout: "Well, I might take Quinn here, but you can't let him return punts if we're behind or the QB is struggling or the defense can't stop the run."

GM: "Next, please."

This is reality. I'M not blaming JQ for the outcomes of any of the games. I'm simply telling you what scouts whose sole concern is with individual performance are going to think. It's also an area for JQ to work on. Heaven forbid you suggest that one of our star players not have a 100% perfect game.