DD to K-State

H-towngreen

In the DMN:

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Coach Darrell Dickey was intrigued by the news that Kansas State will have a coaching vacancy when Bill Snyder retires after the season.

Dickey was the starting quarterback for Kansas State from 1979 to 1982 under his father, Jim, who coached the Wildcats from 1978 to 1985.

"I don't think there is any question; it's a BCS school in the Big 12 Conference," Dickey said when asked about his interest. "I would be lying if I said it wasn't an interest of mine. But right now, my focus is on beating Louisiana-Monroe."

Dickey led UNT to the Sun Belt title and a berth in the New Orleans Bowl in four consecutive seasons entering 2005. This season, UNT is 2-7, 2-3 and has lost four straight games. Dickey's overall record is 39-53

I hope he seriously isn't thinking that he is in the running. I don't even think his name will be put on the short list.

K-State AD to boosters:  "We've hired a coach with a fantastic coaching record of...of...39-53?, er, ...and he used to play for us...."  blink.gif

But you have to remember he self proclaimed he has the most difficult situation to overcome of anyone in the conference. I am sure that will go a long ways at K-State.

I can only wish. cool.gif

come on guys....you know DD would be the right fit at K-State:

1. He wins his conference games (26-0 at one point at UNT)....that is important in the Big-12.

2. His OOC record at UNT ain't that great BUT he will be playing easier OOC games at K-State.

3. His dad was the head coach at K-State.

4. He was a great QB at K-State.

5. He would take K-State to bowl games.

6. I would like to see DD get a promotion....he has paid in his dues at lesser programs(SMU) and with UNT he has definitely improved our program!!

7. DD is the type of guy that I would like to have a couple of beers with.

8. His players like him.

9. Up to this year DD brought UNT up as high as #60 in the ratings....he could get K-State into BCS contention to win the National Championship.

10. Nawwwww.....let us hope he stays.

I think he would get an interview. Have you seen Manhatten Kansas? It is in the middle of nowhere! If they hired a "big" name. That big name would leave for a bigger program. Let's face it, K-State will not attract a limelight coach. It will attract a hard nosed coach who can stay competitive and sell kids on Silo city. A man like DD could be a fit. It is my guess that he has already met with the AD on the trip down there this year. I would love to see DD get a shot. He deserves it. Think about his success here and what facilities he has had to work with as well as the powers that be and apathy of the student body.

I say Good Luck DD.

My goodness, who would want to hire a coach who has won four consecutive conference championships?   

One of these years he will get a nice promotion and leave NT.  A few years after he leaves we will look back on the Dickey years as "the good old days".

I think the DD Years will be just fine.

The good ole days will be when we have a coach who does not shrivel up into his shell in awe of an opposing schools facility and coach, plus will complement the fans for coming out to support their team. ph34r.gif

My goodness, who would want to hire a coach who has won four consecutive conference championships?    

One of these years he will get a nice promotion and leave NT.  A few years after he leaves we will look back on the Dickey years as "the good old days".

Them good ole days, when we were the best of the worst. When our coach was nowhere near a winning record (39-53). When we had our worst home loss in history, with two NCAA Rushing champions on the same team. That coach that said such nice things about the school and fans.

Man if that is greatness, what to you expect for average.

I think we are well below average for where we have been and what we have now.

Edited by KingDL1

I think the DD Years will be just fine.

The good ole days will be when we have a coach who does not shrivel up into his shell in awe of an opposing schools facility and coach, plus will complement the fans for coming out to support their team. ph34r.gif

You mean the fans who say things like "4x Champs of the Worst League in the Country!!!"? Yes, those fans are really supportive of the team.

Really, what should a player or his parents think when they come onto this board and see supposed "fans" running down our conference championship teams? If I were a player I would tend to believe what Dickey has been saying about the fans.

You mean the fans who say things like "4x Champs of the Worst League in the Country!!!"? Yes, those fans are really supportive of the team.

Really, what should a player or his parents think when they come onto this board and see supposed "fans" running down our conference championship teams? If I were a player I would tend to believe what Dickey has been saying about the fans.

Can you not deny that the Sun Belt has been the worst conference in the nation the last 4 years??

Did not realize a statement of fact was as bad as a lie?

i have to agree with Eagle on this..why say anything? when is the last time that you heard of a coach saying he would be "interested" about going to another school during the middle of the season? now all you whiners who always cry that the "parents may be looking at this board" or "recruits wouldn't want to come here if they read this board"....where are you now? our head coach has just PUBLICLY stated that he would be "interested" by another job, do you guys think that will help recruiting or the confidence of his own players? (you can begin your DD excuses now...)

Can you not deny that the Sun Belt has been the worst conference in the nation the last 4 years??

Did not realize a statement of fact was as bad as a lie?

Like I said, what are players and their parents supposed to think when they come onto this board and see people like you running down our conference championship teams? You aren't even pretending to bash the coaches anymore, now you are just bashing the entire teams and saying what they did was insignificant. Those guys played their hearts out for this school and you are dismissing it like it is nothing. They did all they could do in a weak conference, win it, and yet you are running those teams down. Show respect to those teams, which included some NT all time greats, don't run them down and then say "well it's true". That makes me sick.

Like I said, what are players and their parents supposed to think when they come onto this board and see people like you running down our conference championship teams? You aren't even pretending to bash the coaches anymore, now you are just bashing the entire teams and saying what they did was insignificant. Those guys played their hearts out for this school and you are dismissing it like it is nothing. They did all they could do in a weak conference, win it, and yet you are running those teams down. Show respect to those teams, which included some NT all time greats, don't run them down and then say "well it's true". That makes me sick.

Again can you not deny that the Sun Belt has been the wprst conference the last 4 seasons?

How is my statement running down the team? Never did I say the team is horrible, just a statement of fact about the conference, but go ahead and spin away.

Again can you not deny that the Sun Belt has been the wprst conference the last 4 seasons?

How is my statement running down the team? Never did I say the team is horrible, just a statement of fact about the conference, but go ahead and spin away.

So what exactly was your intent when you had to add the "in the worst conference in the country" to the end of that? Other than running those teams down? If you wanted to show respect for those teams you would have just said 4x Conference Champions. But for some reason you just had to add that it was in the worst conference in the country. Again, I ask why? And again, I ask what are players and their parents supposed to think when they read that?

damn with faint praise

Compliment so feebly that it amounts to no compliment at all, or even implies condemnation. For example, The reviewer damned the singer with faint praise, admiring her dress but not mentioning her voice. This idea was already expressed in Roman times by Favorinus (c. a.d. 110) but the actual expression comes from Alexander Pope's Epistle to Doctor Arbuthnot (1733): “Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer.”

So what exactly was your intent when you had to add the "in the worst conference in the country" to the end of that? Other than running those teams down? If you wanted to show respect for those teams you would have just said 4x Conference Champions. But for some reason you just had to add that it was in the worst conference in the country. Again, I ask why? And again, I ask what are players and their parents supposed to think when they read that?

maybe when our teams start winning OOC games, then I'll remove the tag. Ok is it politically correct now.

Hell forget winning OOC game just being competitive.

I have no illusions of beating Top 10 teams yet but when we have other non-BCS teams come to our place we must beat them or lose a close dogfight.

The 4 championships show us that we are the Kings of the Dregs. We can win our conference but that is it.

Edited by untbowler