Hayden Fry coaching UNT once again?

UNT_playmaker

Coach fry is coming to denton this tues, and he is going to meet RV during and after the game, i am a huge fan of coach fry and am really pulling that RV taps him on his shoulder and say how bout your old job back. AND I WITHOUT A DOUBT BELIEVE THAT COACH FRY WOULD ACCEPT.

reasons why: he is attempting to coach here in texas, he wanted the baylor job also he had a special love for NT that no other coach whos been here has ever developed, also he finally sees the opportunity of NT reaching that level he has been trying to develop. we are not far off from a new conference, stadium, and national recognition. Coach Fry can make these things happens, he knows the donors, and he has a national following.

Coach Dickey would make a goood SBC coach and thats it, he would be a good coach at MTSU or Lafayette, but UNT is bigger and better than that, we need a coach who can give us that, dickey cannot win OOC games, only SBC games, he knows no donors, ( the guys who hang out behind the beer barn dont count) and he will never get us further than the SBC.

believe it or not but rick vilareal scheduled these OOC games this year to win them, RV believed that we would stomp tulsa at home to build our crowds, except they did that to us and our home crowds will suffer this entire year. the same goes for la. tech, and k-state, we had an outside chance to beat them considering our RB's would work on all cylinders.

we need a big name coach to attract a bigger conference, to help bring donors for our new stadium, to increase the visibilty of our school and most importantly to go higher in where we should be by now.

Hopefully RV will let Coach Fry speak to the team before the game. Fry had those teams back in the '70's believe they could play with anybody!

According to some who were at the Ben E. Keith gathering last time Coach Fry was in Denton at a game where he was honored, it was he, DD, RV with many current and former Mean Green football players and Coach Fry whole-heartedly endorsed Coach Dickey and told our alums and NT Lettermen from his era to get behind Coach Dickey and his program jumping the that water of support (so to speak) feet first.

Also, we may want to recall that quote from Coach Fry when said that had his NT football teams been in a conference with a bowl tie-in which would have rewarded many of those teams that he would have never left Denton in the first place but rather would have stayed and helped build the football program. Not being in a conference with a bowl tie really kept the USA from seeing some pretty good Fry-coached Mean Green football teams.

There is no one on this board and beyond who is as enthusiastic about the future of NT football than Hayden Fry. He will probably be even more enthusiastic when NT AD Rick Villerreal and Coach Dickey take him across the interstate and give him a tour of all that is going on at those 200 acres. cool.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Man I was hoping I wouldn't be reading something like this. I'm all for Dickey if/when he figures out a change; however, knowing that some of the players and their families read this board makes me wonder what it's doing to them if they think that their fans are jumping ship for a coach/hero of UNT past. sad.gif

The irony of this is i'm prolonging this thread for more hits by posting this reply laugh.gif

-gm

Hopefully RV will let Coach Fry speak to the team before the game. Fry had those teams back in the '70's believe they could play with anybody!

this is very true and is exactly what i am getting at, coach fry would believers out of the non-believers and could pump up a high school football squad to think they have a decent or above average chance against the current DALLAS COWBOYS.

coach dickey, will be like well guys we practiced alll week for this game (kstate) but dont sink your heads too low when we walk back into the locker room. i talked with coach dickey at the gomeangreen.com game this year and told him that we did well enough this season to beat tulsa, la tech, and possibly give kstate a run for the money. he shrugged his shoulders and said "who is this guy" and went on to say "i doubt it" i was very shocked to hear that

but it explains to me why we are not winning OOC games, if i would asked dickey, will we sweep the SBC another year, he would say " we sure as hell will"

MTSU beat Vandy for the third straight year. WHERE IS UNT OOC MAGICAL GAME GOING TO COME, NOT SOON, BECAUSE ITS BEEN 30 YEARS SINCE THE LAST ONE, DONT BELIEVE ME WATCH THE HALF-TIME SHOW THIS TUESDAY.

this is very true and is exactly what i am getting at, coach fry would believers out of the non-believers and could pump up a high school football squad to think they have a decent or above average chance against the current DALLAS COWBOYS.

coach dickey, will be like well guys we practiced alll week for this game (kstate) but dont sink your heads too low when we walk back into the locker room. i talked with coach dickey at the gomeangreen.com game this year and told him that we did well enough this season to beat tulsa, la tech, and possibly give kstate a run for the money. he shrugged his shoulders and said "who is this guy" and went on to say "i doubt it" i was very shocked to hear that

but it explains to me why we are not winning OOC  games, if i would asked dickey, will we sweep the SBC another year, he would say " we sure as hell will"

MTSU beat Vandy for the third straight year. WHERE IS UNT OOC MAGICAL GAME GOING TO COME, NOT SOON, BECAUSE ITS BEEN 30 YEARS SINCE THE LAST ONE, DONT BELIEVE ME WATCH THE HALF-TIME SHOW THIS TUESDAY.

How quickly we forget! The Baylor game was a magical game as well as the Texas Tech wins. How many thought that they'd ever see a North Texas team beat a Big 12 team 52-14?

I agree that there have not been nearly ENOUGH of these, but don't deny the successes we have had.

but it explains to me why we are not winning OOC  games, if i would asked dickey, will we sweep the SBC another year, he would say " we sure as hell will"

Coaches can not win games but they can put their players in a position to win through preparation, strategy, adjustments during a game, adaptation of scheme to personnel, and most of all that intangible ---motivation. That is where Hayden Fry shined, and he never made excuses --i.e. facilities, lack of blue chip players, overscheduled, fans that turned on him,etc. Never did one of his teams go into a game thinking that they could not win it!! Again and again I see players give up on plays, get whipped on blocks, juked out of their jocks, and hang their heads in shame. Attitude is just as important as ability and I see that motivation leaving our team like a speeding bullet with each additional loss. Until someone can convince this team that they are capable of playing against their opponents, I fear nothing but more embarrassing losses. Don't kid yourself that Tulsa and KSU are any powerhouses. These lopsided defeats just represent how low our esteem has sunk. I guarantee you a good old fashioned Hayden Fry pep talk both pregame and at half would not do this team any harm.

I like Hayden Fry and he was a great coach but don't forget that he bailed out on UNT to go to a bigger program that had a better chance at bowls/prestige. he could have stayed and worked the program into a strong one but opted to take off.

OK, if you get offered a job that will pay you about 10 X's more than you are making now, would you not consder that job? rolleyes.gif

I will always believe the straw that broke the camel's back that gave Fry and his staff the sign to not stay in Denton and accept a, uh, "Big 10" job was when only about 14,000 showed up for the last game he coached at NT (a win over the UMemphis Tigers) and with a possible bowl game on the line. Well, whether or not back in the day of fewer bowls we would have gotten a bowl if we had sold out Fouts is not the point, still the fans knew what could have been on the line that night if they would have showed en mass yet most chose to stay home and (I presume) watch Junior Samples and Hee Haw re-runs. blink.gif

On the other side of the coin, I really do believe Hayden Fry when he said about 2 years ago while on our campus that if his teams would have been rewarded with bowl game, he would have turned down a Big 10 job, stayed at NT and built this program (AND probably built a new football stadium that would have cost half of the one we are going to soon be building at our Eagle Point Campus).

So we can play the blame game in Denton all we want, but when it comes down to the nut cuttin' in this athletic program, its not neccessarily the coaches or their teams who don't allow us to go to the next level because in Mean Green Country--it's always been the fans who stay home on Game Day that do that part; and showing proof and statistics on that would be the easy part. wink.gif

Attendance folks, it really is that important. There are some NT fans in DFW even on this board thinking this minute about staying home and watching this nationally televised game in the comfort of their dens or living rooms, but when SMU ex Craig James (who will be NT ex Dave Barnetts's color commentator this Tuesday night at Fouts) starts in on NT and the Mean Green fans for all the empty seats at Fouts, just go look in a mirror. sad.gif

We expect 100 X's more from our coaches and football team than we do ourselves as Mean Green fans and that is just not fair to them, of course, most of you who are reading this post are not the ones staying home this Tuesday night, either.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

According to some who were at the Ben E. Keith gathering last time Coach Fry was in Denton at a game where he was honored, it was he, DD, RV with many current and former Mean Green football players and Coach Fry whole-heartedly endorsed Coach Dickey and told our alums and NT Lettermen from his era to get behind Coach Dickey and his program jumping the that water of support (so to speak) feet first. 

Also, we may want to recall that quote from Coach Fry when said that had his NT football teams been in a conference with a bowl tie-in which would have rewarded many of those teams that he would have never left Denton in the first place but rather would have stayed and helped build the football program.  Not being in a conference with a bowl tie really kept the USA from seeing some pretty good Fry-coached Mean Green football teams. 

There is no one on this board and beyond who is as enthusiastic about the future of NT football than Hayden Fry.  He will probably be even more enthusiastic when NT AD Rick Villerreal and Coach Dickey take him across the interstate and give him a tour of all that is going on at those 200 acres. cool.gif

Jim, Rick V was not the AD at the Hayden Fry Reunion at Ben E. Keith. It was Craig Helwig, who was very careful to defend Dickey, at the same time urging Coach Fry to get behind Dickey and the program. Coach Fry was at the game earlier that day when we lost 15-12 to I  think Utah State.

GMG!