Write up on UNT vs. Middle Ten

Nt4Life!

You would be correct...Thomas did get injured at the end of the 1st Quarter I think (maybe early 2nd). And I think he still had 58 yards that quarter...not bad.

Just an FYI...Thomas averaged more yards against BCS schools than Sunbelt.

And someone (who must be crazy) stated that Alabama's running game was on par with UNT??? What???

Also remember that Colorado did win big, but we were able to put up over 500 yards of offence againt them, and they only had about 50 yards more of offence than UNT. MTSU could not even go how many yards vs. Alabama? BTW at the time Colorado was number 4 in the nation in total D.

Alabama's running game is BETTER than UNT's. Prove me wrong.

Last year Bama finished #21 in the country in rushing offense at 200 yards per game.

North Texas finished #22 in the country in rushing offense at 196 yards per game.

They had one common opponent Southern Miss.

Bama had 51 carries for 262 an average of 5.1.

North Texas had 39 carries for 78 yards an average of 2.0.

Bama was playing their third string quarterback.

UNT was playing their first string quarterback.

UNT was more of a threat to pass.

Now tell me that your rushing game is better than Alabama's.

rolleyes.gif

Alabama's running game is BETTER than UNT's. Prove me wrong.

Last year Bama finished #21 in the country in rushing offense at 200 yards per game.

North Texas finished #22 in the country in rushing offense at 196 yards per game.

They had one common opponent Southern Miss.

Bama had 51 carries for 262 an average of 5.1.

North Texas had 39 carries for 78 yards an average of 2.0.

Bama was playing their third string quarterback.

UNT was playing their first string quarterback.

UNT was more of a threat to pass.

Now tell me that your rushing game is better than Alabama's.

Yeah, we all really loved reading in ESPN "The Magazine" those 5 pages and 5 photos of Alabama's vaunted RB's and their running game this week!

WHOOPS! Wait a minute here! That was about NORTH TEXAS' running backs and vaunted running game in this weeks edition of that magazine. My bad..... rolleyes.gif

To you who calls himself (herself) "theboro", lets look at all this this way: Even without Patrick Cobbs playing last year, Super Jamario Thomas still ran for almost 200 yards against (basically) the same guys that will be manning your defense this Saturday evening. Have they suddenly become Giant killers in the space of one year?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

rolleyes.gif

Yeah, we all really loved reading in ESPN "The Magazine" those 5 pages and 5 photos of Alabama's vaunted RB's and their running game this week! 

WHOOPS!  Wait a minute here!  That was about NORTH TEXAS' running backs and vaunted running game in this weeks edition of that magazine.  My bad..... rolleyes.gif 

To you who calls himself (herself)  "theboro",  lets look at all this this way:  Even without Patrick Cobbs playing last year,  Super Jamario Thomas still ran for almost 200 yards against (basically) the same guys that will be manning your defense this Saturday evening.  Have they suddenly become Giant killers in the space of one year?

To answer your question:

With a finally competent DC.... Yes.

Congratulations on the article in ESPN the Magazine.

Dwone Hicks got front page in USA Today in 02. Does that mean he was the best RB in the country?

Stats don't lie.

To answer your question:

Dwone Hicks got front page in USA Today in 02. Does that mean he was the best RB in the country?

Stats don't lie.

You still hangin' around hopin' for an acorn? rolleyes.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

For the last time, when a team hangs a half a hundred on you like Colorado did the loosing team will usually have a high number of yards in total offense. Part due to the fact UNT had a large number of offensive plays and second Colorado had their starters on the bench for most if not all of the second half. Lets put last year and the year after to bed and see what happens this year.

For the record I do beleive that Cobbs and Thomas are great runners just maybe not as good as those who bleed mean green do. I hope UNT can win the Sunbelt again this year but I think it may be a little tougher than some think. Even with a loss Saturday everyone knows the MUTS won't win out and UNT probably will.

For the last time, when a team hangs a half a hundred on you like Colorado did the loosing team will usually have a high number of yards in total offense.  Part due to the fact UNT had a large number of offensive plays and second Colorado had their starters on the bench for most if not all of the second half.

Incorrect. Colorado didn't pull their starters until the END of the 3rd quarter, after Klatt had thrown a TD pass to make it 45-14. Thomas had 115 yards rushing in the FIRST QUARTER, and they certainly didn't have their scrubs in at that time.

USUALLY, when a team hangs half a hundred on you, you're NOT going to have a high number of total yards. For example:

1) When UT tore up ULL this year 60-3, ULL only managed 238 total yards (most of it passing)

2) When Arizona State beat Temple 63-16, Temple only accumulated 265 yards (203 passing) vs 500+ for Arizona State

3) When we beat up on Baylor 52-14, you only scrounged together 268 yards of offense.

The winning team in a blowout, more often then not, has tons more yardage than the loser. They're using every part of their playbook and running the ball, while the loser is going 3-and-out and having to scrap much of their playbook to try and play catch-up.

Every statement you made in that paragraph was wrong. We did have a high number of offensive plays, but so do most teams on the wrong end of a blow-out. Running a lot of plays doesn't mean you'll have a good number of yards, especially if you're overmatched.

To answer your question:

Stats don't lie.

FWIW, Thomas had 117 yards in the Colorado game last year when CU went up 28-14. I would think coaches lean towards slinging around a bit more when they're down 2+ TDs.

Dwone Hicks got front page in USA Today in 02. It doesn't mean he's the best in the country, but how many MTSU posts did we read claiming he could start for [insert SEC team here]. ph34r.gif

BTW, we finally have a competent secondary coach.

I'll take this stat: 2001, UNT (0-5) 24, MTSU (5-0) 21

I was FAR more concerned back then than I am now.

If MT was able to stop Alabama's running game it just means Alabama's running game sucks, not that MT's defense is awesome.

In fact, at this point in the season, MT's performance last week was good enough for 46th place overall in rush defense, tied with BYU.

So where does Alabama's rushing attack rate? 50

Good Job

Edited by MeanMag

For the last time, when a team hangs a half a hundred on you like Colorado did the loosing team will usually have a high number of yards in total offense.  Part due to the fact UNT had a large number of offensive plays and second Colorado had their starters on the bench for most if not all of the second half.  Lets put last year and the year after to bed and see what happens this year.

Point taken. The irony of the whole CU situation is that usually when the team is WAY behind, they start thinking pass. Like I pionted out earlier, Thomas had 117 before CU went up by 2 scores.

That's Dickey-ball for ya. laugh.gif

-gm