2005-2006 Men's B-Ball schedule released

SUMG

(from www.meangreensports.com). I don't know how to copy and paste something from a pdf.file, but if you go over there...you can see the entire schedule. Hopefully, we get return games from the Ags and Ariz. State. There are no marquee home games this year on the schedule. Here's the story, maybe someone more computer literate than I can post the entire schedule):

In non-conference action, North Texas will face one opponent from both the Big 12 and Pac 10 conferences and two teams from Conference USA. The Mean Green take to the road to play at least four teams from top-10 RPI conferences, including Arizona State, Texas A&M, Houston and Tulsa. Houston and Texas A&M are two of seven opponents from the state of Texas on the schedule.

"Again our non-conference schedule will be very challenging, including games against several teams that advanced to postseason play last year, in preparation for our always tough Sun Belt Conference schedule," said North Texas head coach Johnny Jones.

The Mean Green, which has won at least nine games at the Super Pit three of the last four years, will play 13 home games, including a December 3 outing against NCAA-Tournament qualifier Chattanooga. While six of its first 11 games are on the road, NT will open its season at home against Hardin-Simmons on November 18 and play its first four Sun Belt Conference games at the Super Pit as well. The Mean Green’s first league game will be against last year’s Sun Belt Champion Louisiana-Lafayette on January 5.

The regular season ends Feb. 25 and the Sun Belt Conference Tournament will be played March 3-7 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

"Our players and coaches are excited about embracing this opportunity and look forward to the challenges it presents," said Jones.

Head Coach Johnny Jones will collect his 50th victory at North Texas with the Mean Green’s first win of the season.

Here it is:

Fri, Nov 11 Abilene Christian (Exh.) Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Fri, Nov 18 Hardin-Simmons Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Tue, Nov 22 UNC-Wilmington at Wilmington, NC 7 p.m.

Wed, Nov 30 Arizona State at Tempe, AZ TBA

Sat, Dec 03 Chattanooga Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Tue, Dec 06 Texas A&M at College Station, TX TBA

Sat, Dec 10 Nicholls State at Thibodaux, LA 5 p.m.

Mon, Dec 19 Angelo State Denton, TX 7 p.m.

Fri, Dec 23 Houston at Houston, TX TBA

Wed, Dec 28 UT-Permian Basin Denton, TX 7 p.m.

Fri, Dec 30 Stephen F. Austin Denton, TX 7 p.m.

Mon, Jan 02 Tulsa at Tulsa, OK TBA

Thu, Jan 05 Louisiana-Lafayette* Denton, TX 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 07 New Orleans* Denton, TX 7 p.m.

Thu, Jan 12 Florida International* Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Mon, Jan 16 Denver* Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Thu, Jan 19 Arkansas-Little Rock* at Little Rock, AR TBA

Sat, Jan 21 Arkansas State* at Jonesboro, AR TBA

Thu, Jan 26 Troy* Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Sat, Jan 28 South Alabama* Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Thu, Feb 02 Louisiana-Lafayette* at Lafayette, LA TBA

Sat, Feb 04 New Orleans* at New Orleans, LA 1 p.m.

Thu, Feb 09 Middle Tennessee* Denton, TX 7 p.m. (DH)

Sat, Feb 11 Western Kentucky* at Bowling Green, KY TBA

Wed, Feb 15 UT-Pan American Denton, TX 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 18 Denver* at Denver, CO 3 p.m.

Thu, Feb 23 Troy* at Troy, AL TBA

Sat, Feb 25 South Alabama* at Mobile, AL 7:05 p.m.

Sun Belt Conference Tournament

I wonder if there's any connection whatsoever....between us getting a basketball game with Az. State (who we haven't played since '76, I think).....and a transfer from there.

Just curious...

Those things do happen some times. For example, we had signed a player to a Letter of Intent named Victor Mitchell. (His brother was former UNT great Fred Mitchell). Well, Victor decided that he wanted to play at UT. So, Coach Blakely got a series of games (home and away) out of UT, by releasing Victor Mitchell from his letter of intent.

Victor never went to UT though. He ended up at Kansas.

Guest e-bone

I'm most worried about our conference schedule. We play each of the top 4 teams in conference from last season on the road and only get 2 of them at home. And having 6 of our last 7 conference games on the road is going to be very tough. We had better be hot going into conference play and win those home games.

Edited by e-bone

Personally I like the schedule because it will give the team a chance to play some easy teams and some tough teams. This should build the moral of the team and get their rhythm down to do well in conference play.

This is nothing more than what all the other top teams do. They load their schedules with teams that they can win. UNT was the whipping post to many of those teams years past.

This is a total divergence from Coach Trilli. I would much rather see us win against this type of competition than get blown out by playing the top teams in the nation.

By the end of the year we will have a winning season which will increase the chances of Coach Jones bringing in more talented players. More talented players--more wins--more wins--better conference!

Coach Jones is building a winning program at UNT and in my humble opinion let him do it the way it has been done in the past. He is a great asset the the University.

If we are actually a D1 school, why the hell are we playing a Georgetowen like schedule of D2 and D3 patsies. This is a horrible schedule, b/c it will not get the guys ready to actually play D1 talent, especially if they play like they did at the end of last season. dry.gif

This schedule has cupcakes on it......but only for home OOC games. (UTPB; Angelo State). Chattanooga will not be an automatic win.....and SFA will be tougher than we expect. Also, UT-Pan American gave us fits last year, even though we won.

Plus, those road games (at: Tulsa, Houston, A & M, Az. State) will all be probable losses. I have no earthly idea why we would go on the road to play Nicholls State. If you're gonna play Southland teams (Lamar last year; SFA and Nicholls this year), why not play UTA? And we shouldn't hold their lousy facility against them, when we're playing football in Fouts.

So, it's a bad schedule. Because it has a lot of nobodies at home, AND I don't think it's the type of schedule where we rack up a lot of OOC wins, and build momentum going into conference play.

Every school needs "cupcakes" on the schedule!!

UNT was a "cupcake" school for many teams during the Coach Trilli era. You have to respect Coach Trilli getting us those games but look at the cost.

1. He fired just about all the players

2. Brought in predominately freshmen

3. Threw the freshmen to the top 25 teams in the nation

4. Player's quit the team

5. Loosing records

6. Team dissention

7. We did have a few more folks in the stands

Look what Coach Jones has done:

1. In the process of rebuilding UNT BB

2. Takes time to rebuild when there is really no "steady" winning tradition

3. Rebuilding this year with some easy teams, some toss ups and some pretty touch opposition.

Coach Tubbs, when he was at OU and TCU, scheduled "cupcakes" to get the winning records. Attendance figures seemed always high at those two schools.

Continous Winning Records is the key. Coach Tubbs got his teams into the NCAA and NIT. Did everybody in the country know that Tubbs and other college coaches do the same thing??? If your answer is NO then you live under a rock.

NTSU Coach Blakely (sp) did the same thing and he always had a full house to play in front of.

Be optimistic on what Coach Jones is doing. That is why they call him Head Coach.

1. There's no such thing as a "loosing" record.

2. Coach Blakeley had #1 ranked Depaul come to the Super Pit

3. Tubbs plays an uptempo game and makes sound coaching decisions during the game.

4. The total schedule is not the problem, it is the home schedule.

Look at TCU's 2000-2http://gofrogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/100101aaa.html001 basketball schedule.

do you see some cupcakes in this schedule??

I went to the DePaul game that was great....packed house and we almost pulled it out but we were ranked in the top 20 and consistanly winning over 20 games a year for about 2-4 years (off the top of my head).

Look what we did under Jankovich

Look what Trilli did for us

Now look how Jones is building us up

If it takes an easy OOC schedule to build a winning record then that is what we have to do......build a program like the majority of other successful programs.

If you feel like the caliber of teams that are brought into the Super Pit do not meet your personal standards for going to a game then don't go to the game.

I once went to an Ohio State vs. Coastal Carolina about 7 or 8 years ago. The place was PACKED. The fans up in Columbus, Ohio did not care who they were playing. They were supporting the team.

geez....the address did not come out.

TCU played in 2000-2001

Sports Tours .......... win

Atheletes in Action.......win

N.W. La......................win

Alabama State............win

Siena.........................win

Hawaii Pacific..............loss

College of Charleston..loss

Tx-San Antonio...........win

Virginia Commonwealth...win

Central OK.................win

Princeton....................win

Tx-Arlington................win

Butler.........................loss

TCU always has about 3x more in attendance than what we have.

This is just one example.

The Super Pit has been sold out ONCE for a North Texas game (the SMU game in 1976-1977). There have been some other great crowds: West Texas State and Bradley in 1975-1976; Texas in '80 (Pat Hicks 35 foot shot game); Depaul; Texas in Trilli's first year.

But, only one sell out.

Also, I have followed us since 1975....we've never been in the top 20 in basketball.

Look at TCU's 2000-2http://gofrogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/100101aaa.html001 basketball schedule.

do you see some cupcakes in this schedule??

If you feel like the caliber of teams that are brought into the Super Pit do not meet your personal standards for going to a game then don't go to the game.

I once went to an Ohio State vs. Coastal Carolina about 7 or 8 years ago.  The place was PACKED.  The fans up in Columbus, Ohio did not care who they were playing.  They were supporting the team.

euless eagle..you said it. Go to the game to support your team. And when it matters what SUMG "thinks" is a good schedule, then his name will be listed as "Head Coach".

No as a follower of a school's athletic department you SHOULD go to the games no matter who the hell they are palying....

That is a weak excuse...they are playing "Spare State" why should i go....

I hate to admit it but we play spare state pretty much every damn night but the games are still pretty good! *edit*....some fo the games will be ridiculous...much like last years UTPB game at the Pit....but still suppppppport your school in more than just its football (throws log on dying fire). I am not trying to start that old argument from last season again i promise!

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

No as a follower of a school's athletic department you SHOULD go to the games no matter who the hell they are palying....

That is a weak excuse...they are playing "Spare State" why should i go....

I hate to admit it but we play spare state pretty much every damn night but the games are still pretty good!

First of all, I don't know why I'm being singled out as the only one who thinks the home schedule is crappy. There were about 7 others who said it on here, before I did.

As far as supporting the team: I have already renewed my season tickets, even though I live 190 miles away.

So, save the lectures about being a good fan.

To all of you who think this is a great schedule or that we should support the team no matter who they are playing:

Are you in the Mean Green Club?

Do you have basketball season tickets?

Usually the biggest "mouths" about being a great supporter, are amongst the cheapos who don't give a nickel to the program.