at the movies tonight....

Don't know how widespread the advertising was but it's disturbing if it only featured Jamario. To the best of anyone's knowledge, this is the FIRST time that any NCAA Division 1-A college (probably all divisions) has had two returning national rushing champions. That should be played to the hilt. Anything less is weak. This is truly newsworthy and should be blasted all over the Metroplex, at least. My preference would at least be all over Texas. It should be done even if it runs us $100,000 in the hole. First of all, it just might bring in two or three times that much in additional revenue. Secondly, it might even gain us a student or two in the future.

I'm hoping that this is the tip of the iceberg for advertising this coming football season but it's good to know that they are at least doing something.

Gray, I agree that Patrick deserves his due but we have to be realistic - he didn't play most of last year and he isn't as fresh on people's minds as Jamario is. Jamario is the "Golden Goose" for this program. In fact, I don't think any player in our history has commanded such noteriety. And it's not that there haven't been great players in our past. The advent of ESPN, the internet and other media outlets help his cause. The other thing is that he accomplished so much as a true freshman which is very rare.

Guest e-bone

You have to remember that this is an ad in the movie theater, not a TV commercial. It is one page and probably has a big picture of Jamario and the rest is info on season tickets and the schedule. I've seen the ad when they ran it last summer and it had PC on it. It is a good way of reaching families if they show it at the right times.

Harry, I'm with Grey on this. Jamario is very special and so is what he accomplish last year. But in order to keep people from dismissing his accomplishments as a "flash in the pan", we need to put Patrick right up there with him to show that North Texas has got something really special going on.

And more amazing as we talk marketing, advertsing, promotions and the such is that the promo photo that does show both our stars together very glaringly left each of their jersey numbers completly out of the photo. blink.gif

I am an athletic marketing novice and admit to being such, but the photographer who took that photo of both our Mean Green stars should have known better than to do that. sad.gif

I've always been told that it only takes just a little more effort to do things first class and the correct way.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The family and I were at Uncle Julio's in Ft Worth three weeks ago and our waitress checked in with an older couple next to us who was wearing some TCU stuff. And since our waitress was wearing a very purple tie the guy asked her if she went to TCU because of the tie. She immediately told him "No, I went to North Texas". My wife noticed this first and brought it to my attention. So when the girl checked in with us to take our order she noticed my NT hat and shirt I had on, and the conversations flew. She hadn't been to a game in Denton in a while but was going to talk her husband into taking her this year because of all she has seen and heard about the Mean Green recently. She said that her husband was an Ohio State grad, that he was a huge college football fan, that they had been to some Buckeye games when they had visited family up north and all. I asked her if he was up on his trivia and she said he was. I told her to ask him this:

Who is the only college team to feature two previous, separate national rushing leaders on the same team?

She couldn't believe it was North Texas and she wrote the question down and said her husband was over at the bar visiting her while she was at work and went to ask him right then. She came back a few minutes later pretty proud that she had stumped him and that her school was the answer. I told her I didn't want to come back and ever see her wearing anything but a green tie until the season was over, she laughed and said OK. Everytime she came back to the table she brought the trivia question up. The TCU couple overheard this and thought that was an amazing trivia question as well. The gentleman said he played for TCU back in the 60's and that he knew all about Jamario and said this was going to be an exciting year for North Texas.

Needless to say, I'm with Gray on this. It should be screamed from the rooftops considering how pathetic our recogonition has been in the past.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick