What FB positions will NT recruit most this fall?

OldTimer

Based on the 40 possible recruits I am aware of, the following breakdown occurs:

QB-5

RB-7

WR-3

C-4

OL-4

TE-2

DL-5

OL-6

DB-4

I will add my thoughts on this later. Obviously NT will recruit a player who plays at one position but recruit him for a different position. Example: a QB in HS who will play DB in college.

Not interested in names here...just what positions do you believe NT needs to concentrate on.

Another twist...add JC recruits separately to your list for what you believe will fill gaps in current positions after graduation next year.

I know summer is not normally a recruiting season, but if you look at the Rivals top state (TX) list in the DMN 48 of the top TX listing has already committed. (FYI)...at this time none of the top state 100 list NT)

Just a tidbit NT is currently listed by one of the top TE's in Texas (Rivals rank) who listed Colorado, N. Carolina, NT, TCU, TX ST and TT. Only offer at this time is N. Carolina. We (lost) a good center who had listed NT....he just committed to TCU. Losses don't mean anything at this of year, but if we have to lose a prospect it is nice it is to a major school and not SFA or another 1-AA school.

Edited by OldTimer

NT needs to recruit Offensive and Defensive lineman every year. They are the hardest position to hit on. A great HS lineman, might not be great in college. That's why you have so many TE's being shifted to the Line.

NT also needs to recruit a punter/kicker.

The number 1 thing that DD seems to target is athletes. How many former Qbs do we have on campus now playing other positions. I like that strategy and think it serves us well. Get all the athletes you can, all the big uglies you can. With that combo you can win.

It is strategy that works elsewhere also. Look at A&M, 2 of their top 3 WR last year were Qbs in HS and all of their top WRs (4) this year were Qbs in HS.

DB and WR.  We are getting ready to lose the Mighty and need someone to replace him.  If you think our passing attack stinks now wait 'til he is gone and there is no one there to fill his shoes...  As for DB, it can only get better...

Recruit speed and athleticism. Athletes will find a way to contribute. Don't forget, one of our greatest linebackers ever was a high school quarterback.....Brad Kassell.

True, we lose JQ but will still have Muzzy, Jackson, Covington, etc.., so WR will be fine.

I agree that both DL and OL need to be our target. They are difficult to find, and the athletic/big ones are typically signed by the BcS schools.

Offense:

TE We have a Sr., a JC transfer and Harmon is a Jr. and two signees one of which may be switched. I would believe NT select 1 TE at most. Keep in mind the Sr. will be gone, the JC as well as Harmon will be a Sr. the same year as the incoming FR will be on the team. If one of the signees has been switched to another position that leaves only 1 Redshirt TE two years down the road.

I predict one TE signee this year and another two years down the road.

OL: Ephraim Patterson, Jason May are Srs. and will be gone after next season. Jrs. are Lineberry, Joel Foster and will be gone 2 years from now. I would believe DD will select at least 1 JC possible 2 at this position and two more freshmen. Keep in mind DD plays the 1st string OL every play of every game all game long unless there is an injury. 2nd team OL gets little experience and we have already lost Mazola who was 2nd team.

We have a RC Fr at Center and a incoming C who will be redshirted. If anything happens to Chad Rose we very easy could see a JC here.. If not, I anticipate one FR at center to be recruited.

RB.. the 2004 season we are long on RB's with Jamario and Cobbs. Hopefully Damari Thomas will be redshirted his fr year, Mitchell will be gone at FB, but I believe Kerona Henderson will get some experience as a Fr. At most I would see 1 FR rb.

WR: Mitchell, Nevins, Quinn, and Muzzy are all Jrs and will be gone two years down the road. There are a couple of really good RS freshman and at least one incoming Fr...the kid from Lawton Domingue Green (sp?) I would anticipate possible two Fr. WRs signed or players which could be WR's ...and redshirted their Fr. year.

QB Byerly is a Soph and Meager a redshirted Fr. This is one position I fell DD should have recruited a JC QB, if not as a starter to provide experienced backup. It is my understanding NT tried to recruit one specific QB who ultimately signed with Neb..(interesting note Rivals listed him as a 3* as a NT recruit and as a 4* as a Neb recruit--both on their web site at the same time) .and for some reason did not recruit another. Don't know if he concentrated so hard on the one QB, and when we lost him, the better JC QB were gone or what happened. If for some reason Byerly is not elgible, we really have an experience problem here as Meager has such a long history of injury so far. We signed at least 4 fr. QB's, but none of them will have any game experience in college and some will be switched to defensive positions. I see very little passing this year with Byerly and Meager which might get us by most Sunbelt teams, but to beat a Tulsa or La Tech, or K State we have to pass to open up the run....I see another season like the first game against a IAA team...90 % of running plays...and the better teams will be copying Miss State and overwhelm our OL with 8 or 9 man linemen and close in LBs. I would hope DD will find a last minute experienced JC QB. Otherwise I look for at a minimum of 1 maybe two Fr.

Thats minimum of 7 Fr on offense and 1, possible 4 JCs.

When coming up with this analysis I looked at what Sr would be leaving in determining JC recruiting and for Fr. what Jrs. we have that need to be replaced 2 years down the road with the signing Fr. tol be redshirted.

Defense coming up later today.

Edited by OldTimer

cannot say it enough, OL/DL

Someone said it earlier, they are two of the toughest positions to really hit it big on.

Good DL play makes your LBers TREMENDOUSLY better!

Good OL makes your entire offense TREMENDOUSLY better!

Lets get some more OL?DL studs in here!

Defensive Analysis:

CP Coventon and Branch are Sr. as starters

Backup Cox, So, Carter Jr. Nelson rF. .......1 to 2 JC's as starters, 2 FR recruits

SS Higgs is Soph, Oubre Jr, Weathers JC transfer Jr., carter Jr, Cox so, Nelson RF..

2 incoming freshmen will help fill these ranks. .......3 Fr recruits

DE Ranson Jr and Chapman So are starters

backup Eli Hutchinson Sr., Hull Jr. Burruss So. RFTexrode 2 Fr recruit

Tackle: Miller Sr and Pruitt Jr are starters

TJ Raymond So, Issac Thomas rF, Stevenson So, Pistole Jr....2 JC's and 2 Fr

WCB and MLB Mendoza So, Monroe So are starters

Travis Thompson Jr, McNac Sr,Holman So, Colbert So....Incoming Fr Nowige will fill one spot, 1 Fr recruit

y Sr., Graves Jr, Davenport FR.......2 Fr recruit

Punter Baze Sr, Spencer rF, Hopovac sr....One FR punter

K Benjamin rF one kicker.. Needs depend upon how good Spencer and Benjamin possible 2 Fr recruits, non ship to start with.

Defense Summary 3 JC and 9 Fr.

Offensive Summary 1-4 JC and 7 Fr.

Total 4 JCs and 16 Fr. total 20

possible punter/kicker

Tackle: Miller Sr and Pruitt Jr are starters

TJ Raymond So, Issac Thomas rF, Stevenson So, Pistole Jr....2 JC's and 2 Fr

WRONG!!!!

Tackle: Issac Thomas rF and Pruitt Jr are starters.

TJ Raymond So, Miller Sr, Stevenson So, Pistole Jr....2 JC's and 2 Fr

WRONG!!!!

Tackle: Issac Thomas rF and Pruitt Jr are starters.

TJ Raymond So, Miller Sr, Stevenson So, Pistole Jr....2 JC's and 2 Fr

Just going with what Steel's mag reported. But it doesn't change the Sr. and Jr. status nor how many and what type of recruits and how many will be needed at these positions.

Oldtimer the TE prospect you speak of is from my old High school, Fort Bend Austin, in Sugar Land, TX. I had a chance to go their spring game this year as my little bro is going to be a soph. on the team next year. He is a big guy with some good hands as he had a couple of nice catches during his time on the field. There are also 2 other good prospects that UNT should consider looking at. It might help that UNT receiver Brandon Jackson also attend this school, so hopfully we might have an in.

To answer your question on what postions need to be recruited. Get some big bodies! We have had a real tough time of getting and developing/and keeping our OL recruits. You can never have enough beef. After that go after speed and athleticisim. With those two things you can do alot by filling in needs at DB,WR,RB, and LB.