Most Unusual Mascot/Nickname You've Heard Of.

UNTLifer

Speaking of Gobblers, that's Virginia Tech's nickname as well as the Hokies.

A few other unusual or clever nicknames..

College of the Atlantic Black Flies

Phillips Haymakers

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Stetson Hatters

Washburn Ichabods

And, help me out, the A&M campus in Laredo has an unusual nickname.

Speaking of Gobblers, that's Virginia Tech's nickname as well as the Hokies.

A few other unusual or clever nicknames..

College of the Atlantic Black Flies

Phillips Haymakers 

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers

Stetson Hatters

Washburn Ichabods

And, help me out, the A&M campus in Laredo has an unusual nickname.

Phillips Haymakers? That must be a college somewhere. I thought that Phillips Tx (named for the Phillips petroleum company), was the Black Hawks.

And let's not forget the Class A baseball team in Modesto CA, "The Nuts."    Yes, the name lost in voting for the new franchise with most votes going to "none of the above.'    Now they've made the shirts, hats, etc., a collectors item.    Logos have "Al Almond" and "Wally Walnut" on each side of the team name.

AA baseball team in Montgomery, AL, is the Biscuits......Mmmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmmmmm

Phillips Haymakers? That must be a college somewhere. I thought that Phillips Tx (named for the Phillips petroleum company), was the Black Hawks.

Phillips University is in Enid, Oklahoma. Phillips TX was the Black Hawks but the high school was consolidated into West Texas High and is located near Stinnet. Stinnet used to be called the Rattlers but West Texas High now goes by the politically incorrect name of Comanches.

I got my pilot's cetificate up at Southeastern Oklahoma State in Durant, OK - probably best known for producing Dennis Rodman (when they were NAIA)... and for having high stakes Choctaw Indian Bingo... they have a VERY politically incorrect school nickname/mascot - the Savages laugh.gif

Pampa Harvesters

I was going to mention them... I have a good friend who taught there.

The Macon Whoopie

Minor league hockey team in Macon, Georgia.  It's true, it's true.

Unfortunately, they closed up shop a few years ago. It was fun to go to the game and shout "MACON! WHOOPEE! MACON! WHOOPEE!"

A couple others in Georgia:

Cairo High Syrupmakers (they pronounce the name like "kay-row" = Karo)

Johnson High Atomsmashers

MY vote for strangest: Itaska "Wampus Cats" or the absolute worst....Houston Morris Academy: "Praying Hands". Now that is taking extreme Christianity way TOOO far. I also notice the Dumas Demons seem to be edited from the list below, however the Rankin Red Devils made it.

Read the below list of Texas HS mascots.

http://www.texasmascots.com/jav/bymascotletter.jsp?A=P

Then there is the Dallas Hockaday "Daisies" Guess those folks (girls) don't play football.