Latest attendance numbers

Coach

Yes we have an attendance problem. But I think it is a little silly to get so worked up when the worst attended game was on Valentine's night....I'm surprised we even had over 900. Who would go to a bb game on Valentine's day?? I love the mean green as much or more than others on this board but I wasn't going to watch them play on vday.

As for the games being boring, the western kentucky game was anything but boring (maybe you should have gone to it, Tony). Frusturating yes, but to me, supporting the mean green is always fun and never boring.

As for the ticket sales, that seems like another silly thing to be complaining about. I see ya'lls point that you'd like a more sophisicated system but when has the line been so long that the current method didn't work? No one goes to the games! You shouldn't ever encounter a long line. If you do, YAY, people actually came!

And while I'm thinking of it, the jumphouse for the kids is a great idea. Thank you to whoever thought of that!

I'll be there Thursday night.

Edited by EagleChick03

The fans that want to say they are best NT has to offer need to make it out to the ballgame if they can.  If they can't, that's fine.  But if WE don't go, then how could expect students who are unaware of the game to go?  If local hoops fans look at the box and see 900 or even our best effort, 3,000, will they think it's a big time event?  Will the media start turning their cameras toward Denton and in turn bringing more interest and more faces to the games f we draw like we have been?  We know the answers to these, and we know what can be done about it.

If you can't, then there is a game Thursday night against a first place team that will also be on TV and I'm sure the Mean Green would love your support.

I have a big problem just accepting that students aren't AWARE of the games, and then excusing them for not going. If students aren't aware of the games, then this university, and its basketball team, have bigger problems than anyone here can imagine. That's an Athletics Department issue.

You have to accept it because it is true. In other part of the post you decided not to quote said that it is clear the AD does no promotion. They aren't going to, they suck at promoting basketball games. They can't and/or won't do it. Is that enough of that to show you on how I feel about that? There must have been 40 students at the game last night. I guess the other 30,600 all had a Valentine's date or work? The students ARE unaware, and that is why I called upon the Talons to step it up and the Pit Crew to keep doing their thing in another part of the post you chose not to include there.

But, to make the game a legit big time event, people have to go. It obviously ain't gonna be the students, they only even know a game is going on if they look up the schedule at meangreensports.com themselves. It isn't going to be local hoops fans, why go to a "D1" game that has between 900-2500 fans at it? It obviously is no fun, might as well stay home and watch the Mavs and that crap Trump show.

I have heard, well if we win, then people will come. No they won't because then the excuse will be competition, let's see some teams I know. Yet we can't get better competition because our attendance will never get us in a better conference. We had posters really dumbfounded on how CUSA picked UTEP over us. Look no further than the bottom of men's basketball box scores. They had not had their football resurgence yet, and in fact were very bad. But their fans show up, ours don't. They moved up in conferences, we stayed put.

That's why I contend it has to start here. If we can't get out to the games, then nobody will. And that is exactly what has been happening. I firmly believe we should have 4,000 on a bad night. I think we need to pack the place when a big game rolls in. We are long, long way away from that and it has to start somewhere....Thursday night is a big game against a first place team. I would encourage anyone who can make it to come make the Super Pit look good on TV and help support the Mean Green, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Please explain why this is a commuter school?

e-bone, I came to the ULAR game this year and it was boring. Poor decisions, poor rebounding, being out hustled equaled boring in my book.

http://www.unt.edu/pais/insert/uohou.htm

Of the more than 30,000 students attending UNT, about 23,500 commute, with more than 16,500 commuting from outside Denton County.

Thats what I mean by commuter school.

http://www.unt.edu/pais/insert/uohou.htm

Of the more than 30,000 students attending UNT, about 23,500 commute, with more than 16,500 commuting from outside Denton County.

Thats what I mean by commuter school.

OFF TOPIC: I have a hard time believing that roughly 50% of the student body lives outside the city of Denton. I know I kept my "permanent address" as my parents' house in Fort Worth, even though I lived on-campus. I suspect a lot of students don't bother to change their address from their parents cause so many students jump from apartment to apartment.

Since we are going to throw the Savannah State thing out as special circumstances, let's take a look at some of the powerhouse programs that outdrew us on Valentine's night (it was the same holiday for everyone, so you can be thinking of the next excuse...the early favorites: traffic and opponent.)

Valentine's night men's basketball attendance numbers:

Charleston: 3,371

Morgan State: 3,362

Virginia Commonwealth: 3,095

Stephen F. Austin: 2,976

Grambling State: 2,187

Liberty: 1,492

Savannah State: 1,357

Norfolk State: 1,334

High Point: 1,147

Jackson State: 1,066

Northern Colorado: 957

Miss. Valley State: 938

North Texas: 918

Don't let this take away from my last post. Those are all things I feel strongly about, this just backs up the urgency of it all.

Edited by Coach

Correct me if I'm wrong, but NAIA is non scholarship, or at least it is at some schools. Tarleton was when they were NAIA. So, if PB is non scholarship, they are NAIA, DivIII, DivII and DivI...three complete levels behind us, right? So taking your list of valentines day attendances, I'm curious how many of those home games were against opponents that were 3 levels below the host?

Someone said earlier we lost our attendance momentum when we lost to TCU and I think this is dead on. If we make the tournament final we can get it back.

Rick

• Upvote 1

How did you guys feel about the excuses people made for not attending football games not too long ago when the games were "boring", we played no names, and couldn't win? Now stop making excuses for not attending basketball games.

Since we are going to throw the Savannah State thing out as special circumstances, let's take a look at some of the powerhouse programs that outdrew us on Valentine's night (it was the same holiday for everyone, so you can be thinking of the next excuse...the early favorites: traffic and opponent.)

Valentine's night men's basketball attendance numbers:

Charleston: 3,371

Morgan State: 3,362

Virginia Commonwealth: 3,095

Stephen F. Austin: 2,976

Grambling State: 2,187

Liberty: 1,492

Savannah State: 1,357

Norfolk State: 1,334

High Point: 1,147

Jackson State: 1,066

Northern Colorado: 957

Miss. Valley State: 938

North Texas: 918

Don't let this take away from my last post.  Those are all things I feel strongly about, this just backs up the urgency of it all.

I would attribute their increased numbers to the fact that their student body and general population is typically uglier and thusly did not have a date for this evening.

This is so stupid to hate on each other. None of you have to answer to anyone. I wasn't at the Valentine's day game, so sue me. I have a wife who wasn't interested in spending valentine's day alone for a game against Ut-Peanut Butter. I may could have convinced her if we were hosting UT or OkState, but it wasn't worth the fight. Am I bad fan? Wait, I don't care what any of you think.

I have never called anyone a bad fan.

I have never "hated" on anyone.

I have said, if you can make it to the game, then the team could use your support.

If anyone is offended by that, it's out of my control, but I do not believe it is in the least bit personal or offensive.

It's all green and it's all good!

Edited by Coach