ABA News

jym

03-Nov-2004

Fort Worth, TX -- Steve Tucker, Head Coach of the ABA Texas Tycoons professional basketball team today announced the team roster for the upcoming season. According to Tucker, "The competition for spots was hard fought; we had tremendous players giving their best. We think we've put together a very competitive squad and were able to do it with many home grown players too. The fans will recognize our many of our players and will really like this team."

Jabari Johnson - 6'3" Guard - University of Texas-Arlington

Dameon Samson - 6'1" Guard - Texas State University

Steve Logan - 6'1" Guard - University of Cincinnati

Chris Davis - 6'6" Guard/Forward - University of North Texas

Ed Williams - 6'6" Forward - U of North Carolina-Wilmington

Delano Thomas - 6'8" Forward - Shawney State University

DeRon Rutledge - 6'6" Forward - Texas A & M - Kingsville

Curtis Callier - 6'7" Forward - Texas University - Arlington

Michael DeGrate - 6'9" Center/Forward - U of North Texas

Johnny Tyson - 7'0" Center - Central Oklahoma University

Tucker added, "And we have several players on our Developmental Squad, all capable of moving up quickly.

Donald Harris - 6'5" Guard - Texas University - Arlington

Bruce Yabukovec - 6'll" Center - Canada

Jerome Rogers - 5'10" Guard - U of North Texas

David Sykes - 6'5" Guard/Forward - Texas State University.

For more information about the Texas Tycoons, visit www.txtycoon.com or www.abalive.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I've never formally introduced myself on this board, but my name is Jalie Mitchell, former UNT Lady Eagle (Women's Basketball 1998-2002). I am happy to be one of the Assistant Coaches for the Texas Tycoons. I will try to keep you all posted throughout the season, but I want to encourage you all to please come out and support these guys. They really are a good team! They have come together quickly.

We had an exhibition game last Saturday against the Dallas Diesels and won 133 to 87. Chris Davis (UNT's #2 All-time leading scorer) had 27 points. He looks very good on both ends of the floor. Michael Degrate looks good also. Please come out and see these players and others that you may recognize on the list. You will definitely see some fast-paced, exciting basketball!! The American Basketball Association is back with 35 teams and it's still growing. The Tycoons' first home game is November 20th against Oklahoma City at 7PM. This and all other home games will be played at W.G. Thomas Coliseum (6108 Broadway) in Haltom City, Texas. Please come out if you can!!

Degrate is doing well. He is actually playing the center position for us right now. You're right, his ability to shoot outside gives him a lot of options and makes it hard for other big men to guard him. He should be able to take advantage of that this season. We've had three exhibition games so far.......

1st Exhibition Game: Tycoons 133 Dallas Diesels 80

2nd Exhibition Game: Tycoons 121 Tarrant City Regulators 80

3rd Exhibition Game: Tycoons 144 K104/Hooters All Stars 73

The next Exhibition Game will be Thursday night vs the Tarrant County Regulators at 7PM. For more information, call 817-4-Tycoon or visit www.txtycoons.com or www.abalive.com.

Also FYI: The roster has changed. Donald Harris will take Steve Logan's place on the active roster. I will have stats from the exhibition games on the next post.

Yes, I was glad to see that we could get some good players from the area. Off the top of my head, I know Donald Harris had 32 points Saturday night and Chris Davis had 23. Jabari Johnson had 19 points and 5 steals. They've all been playing consistently well. Curtis "Mack" Callier is a dominate force for us on the boards. He's averaging about 10 a game right now. As far as blowouts go, I hope they all will be so I can relax but I doubt it. There is some strong competition once we get into league play. I know the Long Beach Jam just signed Trajan Langdon and Olden Polynice (for those who know basketball). Also, Cedric Ceballos plays for the LA Stars. There are tons of good players in this league, a lot who have NBA potential. The league sent 8 players to the NBA last season and hopefully more will go after this season. It's a great opportunity for players who want to move up, but don't want to go overseas.