Zook vs. DD

shaft

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me it's not a matter of who I'd rather have coaching UNT, but a matter of not wanting Zook. He couldn't pee a drop with a hugely talanted Florida. If we're going to bring someone in here, and I'm not saying we should, I wouldn't want someone who was in a high profile position, but couldn't do the job. Just because he's a well publicized name doesn't mean he's a great coach.

for me it's not a matter of who I'd rather have coaching UNT,  but a matter of not wanting Zook.  He couldn't pee a drop with a hugely talanted Florida.  If we're going to bring someone in here,  and I'm not saying we should,  I wouldn't want someone who was in a high profile position,  but couldn't do the job.  Just because he's a well publicized name doesn't mean he's a great coach.

I second that motion.

As someone with strong ties to both schools, I will say this: Zook is an amazing recruiter!! J-MO is a perfect example of what we can do if we increase the talent pool, and he could definately do that! I'm not crazy about his play-calling (equivalent dislike when compared to DD's), but he could get load us up on talent!

That being said, don't hire him!! laugh.gifph34r.gif

No comparison...DD.

I don't know who could replace DD right now to be honest. It has to be someone who can win with very little resources and who can recruit well in the shadow of the Big XII schools. I don't think there are many people who can do what DD has done. A lot of coaches can go to a BigXII school or SEC school and flow with the momentum that exist just from being in those leagues and do an okay job. Not many can go to an SBC school and truly make an impact as DD has...too many obstacles which leads to burn out and frustration very quickly.

Edited by grad88

Why are we always trying to fire Darrell Dickey. I mean, come on! We have done more under DD than we have in 20 years before him. We had two or three good years in D I-AA, but other than that, DD has been the best thing to happen to NT football in a long time. I agree that he needs to take the OOC games more seriously, but lets not run him out of town because we were foolish.

Why are we always trying to fire Darrell Dickey.  I mean, come on!  We have done more under DD than we have in 20 years before him.  We had two or three good years in D I-AA, but other than that, DD has been the best thing to happen to NT football in a long time.  I agree that he needs to take the OOC games more seriously, but lets not run him out of town because we were foolish.

I agree, keep DD

I don't think we're ready to go to the next level.  Facilities wise- we're getting there,  but players wise,  I don't think so yet.  Give the Buick a little more time.  This isn't a 5 or 6 year plan,  it will take about 10 to get us where we want to be,  I'd imagine.

When do you tink we will be ready to go to the next level, when we have won the SBC 5,6,9,12 years in a row? DD has had time. He has been here, what 7 years now? What is the OOC record? We've had the players, I think we still do. We can't sit here and squander their talent. If we have the players to move up, then we have to have the coaching. Its not fair to the players or the fans, or the fans and players of other schools for that matter. The program is on the rise, a coach to get more national recognition is what we need. And how do you get that, by winning OOC games. Also, you can't sit around and just wait for your chance to move up, you have to create that chance. We are on our way to winning a conference 4 YEARS IN A ROW. Its time to take the next step.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not anti-dickey. I just don't think he is the guy to take us up any further. I have given him the chance in my mind. Now, if he comes back next year, and shows me otherwise, I will change my mind. I just don't see it happening. Remember, we beat Baylor 52-14 or somesuch last year. I know we lost some players, but there is no way we lost so much talent to not only lose to them, but to lose by 20 something points. And I know that the "mighty TU" is better than us, but 2 years ago, 27-0, no points scored in the second half. Last year, the OU score was even respectable. It is time to move up, and we need someone who will do this.

When do you tink we will be ready to go to the next level, when we have won the SBC 5,6,9,12 years in a row? DD has had time. He has been here, what 7 years now? What is the OOC record? We've had the players, I think we still do. We can't sit here and squander their talent. If we have the players to move up, then we have to have the coaching. Its not fair to the players or the fans, or the fans and players of other schools for that matter. The program is on the rise, a coach to get more national recognition is what we need. And how do you get that, by winning OOC games. Also, you can't sit around and just wait for your chance to move up, you have to create that chance. We are on our way to winning a conference 4 YEARS IN A ROW. Its time to take the next step.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not anti-dickey. I just don't think he is the guy to take us up any further. I have given him the chance in my mind. Now, if he comes back next year, and shows me otherwise, I will change my mind. I just don't see it happening. Remember, we beat Baylor 52-14 or somesuch last year. I know we lost some players, but there is no way we lost so much talent to not only lose to them, but to lose by 20 something points. And I know that the "mighty TU" is better than us, but 2 years ago, 27-0, no points scored in the second half. Last year, the OU score was even respectable. It is time to move up, and we need someone who will do this.

Rudy,

I appreciate you passion. The time will come when Dickey will leave on his own, or the team regressed to the point where it is obvious that he needs to go. Until then, have a seat, and enjoy the ride in our ol' trusted Buick. Maybe we will get a convertable next time. biggrin.gif

Maybe we can trade in the ole' Buick for a Cadillac for the out of conference games...  blink.gif

Where do you plan on getting the extra money to make the trade even?

Why,Why,Why...do we post this stuff. DD is here for as long as he wins the Sun Belt! Do you really want to put a brand new coach here who would have to rebuild his relationships with all the coaches at Texas High Schools. Does anyone have a better reputation than DD. Yes we call alot of running plays...So what! we win.

As far at UT this year. We got beat by one of the top teams in the country! FAU was a let down game. Every team has one! Colorodo well that are better than anyone thinks! And Baylor! Yea lets fire Dickey! But first lets win 25 straight conf. games.

Hey, I love winning. I enjoy the games, and I enjoy how much the program has improved under RV. With Deloach, we would not have to reestablish ties with Texas high schools. He has only been gone 3 years now. I still say, however, that if DD can get us a decent OOC record/performances, then great. OH, and he has to learn to teach discipline

Why are people babling about Deloach, the title of the thread is Zook vs. DD.

People are always yammering on this thread about the next level, and that Dickey can't get us there. If that's true then how come none of them stepped up and said sign Zook. He's got a national reputation and was able to bring in the number 1 recruit in the country last year.

The Dickey supports stood up and made their opinion known, but the Dickey bashers continue with the ciricular logic of OOC games and a new stadium. Yet these posters never respond to anything about what a horrible off season we had.