Rick Pitno calls out his players

Big Z

13 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Pitino turned over damn near the entire SJU roster and he has over 40 years of experience in the NIL-recruiting landscape. maybe a bit of personal responsibility, dude. 

NIL has been around for over 40 years?  How insightful. 

I'll err on the side of caution and trust the HOF coach on this one over the message board guru with a Mentor ranking.   

• Skeptical Eagle 1

Reason I liked this statement: it was sincere, and not coach speak

Reason I did not like it: Good coaches find a way to talk about responsibility, for themselves and the players, in a constructive way.  I don't fee like he played this well.

Any other coach and this would generate more steam, but Pitino will enjoy the benefits that come with his previous successes.

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Reason I liked this statement: it was sincere, and not coach speak

Reason I did not like it: Good coaches find a way to talk about responsibility, for themselves and the players, in a constructive way.  I don't fee like he played this well.

Any other coach and this would generate more steam, but Pitino will enjoy the benefits that come with his previous successes.

I like agree with your take. CRH mentioned in his post game about guys being concerned with their stats.  If I wasn't sitting a few feet away from the bench, I would bet my life that he was talking about Edwards.  A poster once stated that Edwards is always trying to get 20.  I'm sure that poster meant it in the nicest of ways. CRH gave Robert Allen & A-Scott a mouthful at various times on the bench about it too.  Odd that he dropped that nugget to the "media", but didn't assign a name to it.  Allowed the listeners to decide Hoo he was referring to.  My immediate thought was anyone listening to this will think Edwards. No longer chasing 20.  Now chasing 30.  That was the 2nd complete floor game I have seen from Edwards.  He did it in back to back games.  Thanks CRH.

CRH also noted that "we clawed back into the game" and missed the front end of a 1 and 1.  Guess Hoo? Edwards.  Thanks Coach. 29.5 ppg this week, 4.0 boards, 3.0 assists and 1.5 turnovers on 66% shooting from 3 doesn't get you much in the appreciation category these days.

• Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2

8 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

NIL has been around for over 40 years?  How insightful. 

Pitino has been involved in paying players since his time at Hawaii in the 70s and has a vacated national championship for recruiting violations. 

language has nuance. just because it's legal now, doesn't mean it hasn't been happening for decades.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Pitino has been involved in paying players since his time at Hawaii in the 70s and has a vacated national championship for recruiting violations. 

language has nuance. just because it's legal now, doesn't mean it hasn't been happening for decades.

And those payments were for Name-Likeness-and Image? Your retort wasn’t a stretch, but an outright lie by attempting to equate NIL to illegal payments in the name of language nuance. You can do better. I have the utmost faith in you. 

• Eye Roll 5

14 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

And those payments were for Name-Likeness-and Image? Your retort wasn’t a stretch, but an outright lie by attempting to equate NIL to illegal payments in the name of language nuance. You can do better. I have the utmost faith in you. 

What kids today, outside of a few, are getting paid for using their "name, image or likeness" and not just drawing a salary for being on the roster?

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

I like agree with your take. CRH mentioned in his post game about guys being concerned with their stats.  If I wasn't sitting a few feet away from the bench, I would bet my life that he was talking about Edwards.  A poster once stated that Edwards is always trying to get 20.  I'm sure that poster meant it in the nicest of ways. CRH gave Robert Allen & A-Scott a mouthful at various times on the bench about it too.  Odd that he dropped that nugget to the "media", but didn't assign a name to it.  Allowed the listeners to decide Hoo he was referring to.  My immediate thought was anyone listening to this will think Edwards. No longer chasing 20.  Now chasing 30.  That was the 2nd complete floor game I have seen from Edwards.  He did it in back to back games.  Thanks CRH.

CRH also noted that "we clawed back into the game" and missed the front end of a 1 and 1.  Guess Hoo? Edwards.  Thanks Coach. 29.5 ppg this week, 4.0 boards, 3.0 assists and 1.5 turnovers on 66% shooting from 3 doesn't get you much in the appreciation category these days.

Sounds to me like you're getting attached to Edwards and already talking yourself into being able to blame the coach if/when he leaves.

He's a great player, but all I can tell you is that you better learn to root for the shirt more than the player or you're going to leave this place a jaded individual.  Having to state that out loud and believe it makes me sick.  Following kids from HS and watching them develop through college (and sometimes on to the pros) has always been the best part about following college sports...but unless something changes with regard to transfer rules and NIL, that part is dead and gone.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Sounds to me like you're getting attached to Edwards and already talking yourself into being able to blame the coach if/when he leaves.

He's a great player, but all I can tell you is that you better learn to root for the shirt more than the player or you're going to leave this place a jaded individual.  Having to state that out loud and believe it makes me sick.  Following kids from HS and watching them develop through college (and sometimes on to the pros) has always been the best part about following college sports...but unless something changes with regard to transfer rules and NIL, that part is dead and gone.  

I wouldn’t go so far as to say attached to Edwards, but very attached to idea that someone has to stick up for “the little guy”. I am not fond of bullying, seniority based acquisition nor favoritism in the workplace. If I may borrow a pinch of language nuance from @Censored by Laurie, Edwards is an employee of North Texas. I’ve seen all of the above as it relates to him, thus I’ve opted to say something. To say nothing makes me just as guilty as the offenders. 

There may have been a time when it was 100% the shirt, but not anymore. Since we are basketball followers, if a SMU player was a member of your favorite professional team would you no longer follow the team? Why does it have to be limited to “college to pro”? What’s wrong with “college to college”? I’ve labeled a former basketball player the UNT God. Almost impossible to find a thread without a mention of the UNT God. He plays for another college team. So much for the love of the shirt! Very easy to find videos of the UNT God here on this very message board. No Igor Milicic Jr videos on The Sabre. 

I am a huge proponent of NIL and free rein regarding transfers. The kids/young adults are nothing more than underpaid employees. No member of any workforce should be forced to work for any employer. Every person at UNT is free to come & go as they please except for athletes. I can transfer as many times as I want. CRH can leave anytime he feels like it. So can the AD. Why restrict the movement of the labor force? Money!! There must be A LOT of it otherwise no one would care. 

• Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say attached to Edwards, but very attached to idea that someone has to stick up for “the little guy”. I am not fond of bullying, seniority based acquisition nor favoritism in the workplace. If I may borrow a pinch of language nuance from @Censored by Laurie, Edwards is an employee of North Texas. I’ve seen all of the above as it relates to him, thus I’ve opted to say something. To say nothing makes me just as guilty as the offenders. 

There may have been a time when it was 100% the shirt, but not anymore. Since we are basketball followers, if a SMU player was a member of your favorite professional team would you no longer follow the team? Why does it have to be limited to “college to pro”? What’s wrong with “college to college”? I’ve labeled a former basketball player the UNT God. Almost impossible to find a thread without a mention of the UNT God. He plays for another college team. So much for the love of the shirt! Very easy to find videos of the UNT God here on this very message board. No Igor Milicic Jr videos on The Sabre. 

I am a huge proponent of NIL and free rein regarding transfers. The kids/young adults are nothing more than underpaid employees. No member of any workforce should be forced to work for any employer. Every person at UNT is free to come & go as they please except for athletes. I can transfer as many times as I want. CRH can leave anytime he feels like it. So can the AD. Why restrict the movement of the labor force? Money!! There must be A LOT of it otherwise no one would care. 

As much as I loved TP, Edwards is a better pure scorer. Probably not as good at clutch or assists yet, but he is also a sophomore....

In other words, I think Edwards could be better.

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

As much as I loved TP, Edwards is a better pure scorer. Probably not as good at clutch or assists yet, but he is also a sophomore....

In other words, I think Edwards could be better.

I think the “clutch/closer” factor is a loving wins more than hating loses thing. Personally I hate losing more than I love winning. You couldn’t dial up a clutch or closer statistic if you tried. The blind comparison gives the edge to the mortal. Kudos for recognizing that the comparison is a 2nd year vs a 4th year player.

IMG_2657.jpeg

I don't recall the exact stat, but sometime near the end of last year they mentioned Perry's shooting percentage with under 2 minutes left in the game and it was crazy high (like 70% or something ridiculous like that).  That's why he was so beloved.  The whole "great players aren't always great, they're just great when they have to be" thing.

Edited by CMJ