First Responder Bowl

Big Z

3 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

A lot of the students/alumni from each school know students/alumni from other schools.

I was going to say this. There's lots of UNT students from the Austin/San Antonio area that have friends that go to Texas State, probably more than UTSA to be honest. Texas State/San Marcos is a known party college/town. There may be no benefit to our team to play them, and it'd look bad to lose to them, but I think there'd be more student interest and turnout.

• Upvote 1

I know they would bring a crowd. But UTSA would bring a crowd to Ford and would they ever want to play them? They skirted them in bowl games and conference play to boot. 

I don’t want the smu scheduling philosophy of wanting other fans to fill our stadium. Example, Houston yes with their solid fanbase, Texas State, if we have to. But not my first OOC of interest. 

I think this goes back to my old school days of following UNT since the 80’s. I have a been there done that with the Bobcats. We weee conference mates and I saw them often. Whereas younger fans haven’t seen this show yet. 

I would much love us going after the CSU, Boise, Oregon State, San Diego State, Washington State, some Big 10s that don’t come to North Texas often. 

Look we’ll play them in conference soon enough. Quality schedules requested por favor. 

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

It sounds like you want visitor fans to fill our stadium.

If you want to interpret it that way, fine. I want our stadium full. I don’t particularly care what shirt the fan is wearing. I’m tired of half empty game days in Denton. And I’m tired of waiting on the stars to align for so much of this fanbase to support this athletic department. I want us to play teams that people from Texas know about and/or know/work with people who went to those schools.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

Ford is not a great place.  It feels outdated and the concessions are terrible. I’ve only been a few times but your friend’s observations were completely understandable.

I really don’t understand how a stadium concession crew can establish such a reputation for mismanagement for more than 5 years now without a fix in sight. I mean if the State Fair booths can do it every year, what’s up with whoever handles the F&B contract for smu. 

Will not miss ford. 

Thank goodness for DATCU.

GMG

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, NM Green said:

Ford is not a great place.  It feels outdated and the concessions are terrible. I’ve only been a few times but your friend’s observations were completely understandable.

I really don’t understand how a stadium concession crew can establish such a reputation for mismanagement for more than 5 years now without a fix in sight. I mean if the State Fair booths can do it every year, what’s up with whoever handles the F&B contract for smu. 

Will not miss ford. 

GMG

We ask those same questions every year.

I went to the game vs Tulane. Small, cheap stadium with basic minimal concessions........run very efficiently and effectively.  None of the issues you see in Ford.  It's maddening.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, NM Green said:

Will not miss ford. 

GMG

Honestly, it felt like a high school stadium.

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2023 at 11:37 AM, DentonStang said:

Concessions have been an ongoing humiliation. One more thing the boosters need to take direct control of.

But in concessions defense, who would have thought Texas St. grads could afford multiple purchases?

You can take a guy out of highland park...

• Upvote 2