Swinney, Stoops lament trickle-down effects of transfer portal (say tampering is the biggest issue)

NT80

In a media session previewing their date in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney and Kentucky coach Mark Stoops lamented the challenge of roster management this time of year.

Stoops said his QB position is particularly thin after several recent transfer portal entries, while Swinney said he may need to suit up and play cornerback himself against Kentucky.

Still, Swinney stopped short of placing the blame for roster shortages on NIL or the portal, instead suggesting that tampering by a number of other programs is at the heart of the problem.

"The problem is tampering," Swinney said, with Stoops nodding in agreement. "And we could fix it easily if they'd let football people fix it. But they usually don't listen to us."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39066026/swinney-stoops-lament-trickle-effects-transfer-portal

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The transfer portal has made college football more dog-eat-dog than ever. It feels like teams are being stratified so that if you're not successful, the teams higher up the ladder will clean you out of good players and keep you mired in mediocrity.

This comes to mind today as I see a bunch of the star recruits from past Billy Napier classes at UF hitting the portal. The thing keeping him in that job despite his record was his skill as a recruiter.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Zero sympathy. The system was just fine when the Clemson‘s of the world were robbing G5 rosters, but now that the even bigger dogs are coming after your people there’s an issue?

Clemson's problem is that their head coach was so good at the old way of winning that he stubbornly refused to change what he was doing. Now he's known more for hating the portal than working it.

I wish he could prove that you can still recruit and develop to win but it doesn't seem viable any more.

16 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Zero sympathy. The system was just fine when the Clemson‘s of the world were robbing G5 rosters, but now that the even bigger dogs are coming after your people there’s an issue?

I'm not saying you're wrong; I just don't have much recollection of Clemson being a particular predator of G5s.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Sweet justice that the p5s are now whining after Littrell complained about it for years.

That reminds me of how FSU and the ACC are now experiencing the playoff delegitimization that UCF and the AAC experienced in 2017. Life comes at you fast.

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, rcade said:

That reminds me of how FSU and the ACC are now experiencing the playoff delegitimization that UCF and the AAC experienced in 2017. Life comes at you fast.

The Big Dogs (SEC) were not about to be left out of the CFP.  GA coach Kirby Smart was politicking before the Bama game that the SEC was deserving, even with losses, because of who they are.  Some other conference was going to need to be left out (ACC).

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The Big Dogs (SEC) were not about to be left out of the CFP.  GA coach Kirby Smart was politicking before the Bama game that the SEC was deserving, even with losses, because of who they are.  Some other conference was going to need to be left out (ACC).

Kirk Herbstreit was laying the groundwork to exclude FSU from the playoff for a week before the game.

He might want to avoid coming to Tallahassee for the next several decades.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2