Coming off big victory, Broncos hope to keep momentum against the Mean Green

Jonnyeagle

Get to know North Texas

The North Texas Mean Green were picked to finish 6th in a mediocre American Athletic Conference. New head coach Ross Hodgehelped the team end last year on a high note with a very successful 31-7 season and an NIT win.

North Texas comes in ranked 3rd in the country in scoring defense, allowing just 56.7 points per game (PPG). The high scoring, up-tempo offense that Ross Hodge hoped to install this season hasn’t entirely taken off. They rank just 257th in scoring offense, averaging 70.7 PPG. But the season is young and this is a very talented team that should by no means be overlooked. North Texas is ranked 76th in the highly respected KenPom rankings, whereas Boise State is ranked 84th.

The Mean Green are led by senior guard Rubin Jones and junior wing Aaron Scott. Scott leads the team in scoring with 14.3 PPG to go along with four rebounds per game (RPG) and shooting a team high 45% from behind the 3-point arc. Jones is averaging 11 PPG while playing a team high 31 minutes per game. This team wants to play an up tempo, fast break game. The Broncos have had stretches in games in which they become turnover prone. Turnovers lead directly into the game the Mean Green wants to play; let this team get into a rhythm and they will be trouble for most anyone in the country. They also play tenacious defense lead by Jones who has fifteen steals on the year.

North Texas comes into Extra Mile Arena on a 3-game winning streak, having recently bested Mississippi Valley State on Saturday, 79-48. They played in the Shriners Charleston Classic Tournament this year, losing to St. John’s and LSU, but both games were hard fought. They lost both games by a combined five points. This team lost some talent in the off-season, which contributed to the lower preseason poll rankings, but they are still a very talented team.

read more: https://247sports.com/college/boise-state/article/coming-off-big-victory-broncos-hope-to-keep-momentum-against-the-mean-green-222355341/

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Get to know North Texas

This team wants to play an up tempo, fast break game.

After watching North Teas not shoot until the last seconds of each possession for several years, it's hard for me to think of our team as "up tempo, fast break".

Has the playing style really changed that much? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

After watching North Teas not shoot until the last seconds of each possession for several years, it's hard for me to think of our team as "up tempo, fast break".

Has the playing style really changed that much? 

Maybe a little, but still at the bottom.

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketballw/2023/stats-adv-pace

And

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/possessions-per-game

Edited by BigWillie

3 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

The North Texas Mean Green were picked to finish 6th in a mediocre American Athletic Conference.

Is the Mountain West some impossible gauntlet of powerhouse teams?   Looking at the Top 25 and those just outside of it, I don't see the big separation between the AAC and MWC.

The AAC is not mediocre. FAU, Memphis, Tulane, Wichita State, and East Carolina are all good teams. Tulsa, Smut, Temple, and Rice are all decent teams. I think this is a really strong year for the conference, especially considering we lost Houston and Cincy from last year. Other than maybe Charlotte and nUTSAck, I don't see an easy guaranteed win.

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Boise does have a 16-game home winning streak currently.   In reading their fan forum and athletic press releases, I feel they are overlooking us.  We need to muddy the game and frustrate them with our defense again.  

Which will only result in them saying their team is playing like sh*t. No praise of us. I think that's what our grind-it-out, toughest team win mentality causes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrAlien said:

The MWC has been an over rated conference the last few years, they have been a 4 bid conference the last couple seasons, yet rarely do their schools make it past the first round. 

This is a big game for both schools, and could have potential implications in March. 

I mean last year they did have a team get to the National Title game.

• Haha 1