AAC commish favors CFP model with 5 highest-ranked champions

NT80

"I'm fine myself with the 5+7, assuming we stay at 12 teams," Aresco said. "The 5+7 is something we really have to have, because otherwise, what's the point of all the work we did for 6+6? If there's no Pac-12, you've got four [power conferences], but you still want that fifth [spot] so that our group -- 65 schools -- has a shot at the playoff."

Aresco's public support for the 5+7 model is a critical component to the closed-door discussions because he has been vocal in his urging to consider staying at the 6+6 model even if the Pac-12 dissolves because it would give the Group of 5 schools two guaranteed teams in the CFP. Even with what appears to be overwhelming support for 5+7 within the room, though, there is hesitancy to commit to it with so much uncertainty looming in the Pac-12.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38499787/aac-commish-favors-cfp-model-5-highest-ranked-champions

• Upvote 1

I’ll be shocked if the powers at be allow this. There’s too much money to be made and too much media that only want certain brands included. And then you have the gigantic fanbases to cater to that the G5s just don’t bring I’m comparison. 
if Aresco can help to pull this off and we actually see a G5 make it, that would be amazing. But I feel like we are gonna hear the BS that we need the 12 best teams and G5s are gonna be eligible to make it like everyone else, then we get 12 teams from the Big 4 Power Conferences and ND every year.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I’ll be shocked if the powers at be allow this. There’s too much money to be made and too much media that only want certain brands included. And then you have the gigantic fanbases to cater to that the G5s just don’t bring I’m comparison. 
if Aresco can help to pull this off and we actually see a G5 make it, that would be amazing. But I feel like we are gonna hear the BS that we need the 12 best teams and G5s are gonna be eligible to make it like everyone else, then we get 12 teams from the Big 4 Power Conferences and ND every year.

Yes, as the P5s get bigger, with tougher in-conference schedules, they will want more options of still making the CFP with 2-3 losses.  They will want the Polls to determine the Top12 teams, not just a pre-determined set number of conference champions.  

If the Pac folds there will be 10 FBS conferences. 

Same number as FCS which has 24 teams in their playoffs.  All 10 conference winners plus 12 at large teams.  The Top 8 get first round byes.  Total inclusion:  https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-01-11/fcs-championship-everything-you-need-know

• Upvote 3

I've been wondering if conference championships will survive the era of big conferences feeding on each other.

Conferences have never mattered less than they do today in the P5. A superconference might not want to guarantee a late-season loss for one of its top teams by playing a conference championship any more.

The larger the playoff, the less important a P5 conference championship game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Yes, as the P5s get bigger, with tougher in-conference schedules, they will want more options of still making the CFP with 2-3 losses.  They will want the Polls to determine the Top12 teams, not just a pre-determined set number of conference champions.  

If the Pac folds there will be 10 FBS conferences. 

Same number as FCS which has 24 teams in their playoffs.  All 10 conference winners plus 12 at large teams.  The Top 8 get first round byes.  Total inclusion:  https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-01-11/fcs-championship-everything-you-need-know

Most likely, the CFB world will make the playoff include the Power League Champions, then add in 8 others, of which they will say that ANYONE can be included, but in reality, the G5 will have very little chance of getting anyone into the playoff. 

For example, if it was this season's current top 12 teams were in play by 2025, it would look like this:

(1)UGA, (4)FSU, (3)UT, and (2)Michigan would be the automatics, getting byes.

(5)Ohio State vs (12 Alabama in Columbus

(6) Penn State vs (11) Notre Dame in Happy Valley

(7) Washington vs (10) Utah in Seattle

(8) USC vs (9)Oregon in LA

There isn't a real CFB journalist in the world who will campaign for Wazzou, Oregon State, or Fresno State to be included (these three are currently ranked and will not be in a power league by then). Currently, two other G5s are receiving votes: Tulane (33rd) and Air Force (36th). Most likely, Washington State would be given the right to play in the Fiesta Bowl against LSU, the last team not making the playoff (ranked 13th). Sadly, the G5s will probably love that deal...and the G5 fans, players, adn coaches will continue to be the only ones who never can celebrate even a hint of a chance at a national title opportunity. 

• Upvote 3

For college football, I expect the Big 10 and SEC to get bigger and the eventual structure to end up being similar to the NFL with divisions, conferences, and playoffs that reward division winners, conference winners and an eventual “Super Bowl.”

I also expect those conferences to formalize a system where players get paid directly by the institutions.

I don’t really expect the “rest of the G5” to be a part of this new model.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 2

Any change to the 12-team CFP format, already agreed to for next year, has been put on hold for now, mainly to see how the Pac2 situation turns out.

That's an advantage for the AAC and G5s because if the Pac12 goes away it only leaves the P4 in the Top 6 conference finishers, meaning 2 will be from G5 instead of only 1.

Any change has to be unanimous for next season, and Aresco won't let that happen, lol.........

CFP shelves talk of changes while Pac-12 situation plays out

"For the format to change in time for the 2024 season, though, it would have to be unanimous, and American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco on Wednesday said he will currently vote against changing the current contract.

"[I] will vote 6-6 for now," Aresco said. "If a nuanced proposal that is different should develop, I would consult with my conference membership."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38506062/cfp-shelves-talk-changes-pac-12-situation-plays-out

• Upvote 2

So stupid to essentially ignore the “B” in FBS.  I have the best simple plan to get the maximum amount of relevant bowl games, keeping regular season conference game & championships   important, allowing maximum number of G5 to get legit shot at P5 teams and a satisfying playoff.

🏈Keep the Bowls separate from the playoff

🏈Conference champions automatically get the best bowl invitation the conference draws

🏈At least 2 bowl are required to have P4 vs G5 champions

🏈Top 8 rank Bowl winners after all the bowl are played are selected for playoff (computer ranking factored in heavily, posted, but not necessarily followed verbatim)

🏈Top 4 seeds get home games in first round

🏈Semi-final played at rotating bowl locations like the current playoff

🦅🦅🦅

It all makes too much sense so it will never happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, rcade said:

I've been wondering if conference championships will survive the era of big conferences feeding on each other.

Conferences have never mattered less than they do today in the P5. A superconference might not want to guarantee a late-season loss for one of its top teams by playing a conference championship any more.

The larger the playoff, the less important a P5 conference championship game.

I'm sure the networks will decide that.