Trent Dilfer to P5s tampering - I am going to call your ass out

Time will tell, but nice to see someone at least talking about it

https://footballscoop.com/news/trent-dilfer-boldly-dares-power-5-coaches-to-try-to-raid-his-roster

"I said, why wouldn't you guys have the you-know-whats to stand up and say 'get out of my roster!' Here's why...it's because YOU want THEIR job. But I want THIS job. I don't want a Power Five job. I want this job. I want to live in Birmingham. I want to live downtown. I want to go see my grandson in Nashville."

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

"I said, why wouldn't you guys have the you-know-whats to stand up and say 'get out of my roster!' Here's why...it's because YOU want THEIR job. But I want THIS job. I don't want a Power Five job. I want this job. I want to live in Birmingham. I want to live downtown. I want to go see my grandson in Nashville."

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Nothing will happen if he calls out Alabama for stealing a player.  And I doubt he is still at UAB in 3 years.

At least he is speaking out and not acting like the other coaches who whine but don't want to be blacklisted. The one area I think he is wrong is that ESPN staffers would talk about it on air. Like most national media, their heads are so far up the P5 asses they wouldn't dare cross them. 

• Upvote 5

Unpopular take: Who is gonna care? The big boys will be like, "Fine! you can stay in Birmingham."  They don't give a shit about him.  They never did.  We haven't had a seat at this table, why should I think Dilfer does?

He's a former QB and there are over 100 other coaches in D1 that wonder how he got this gig in the first place.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

At least he is speaking out and not acting like the other coaches who whine but don't want to be blacklisted. The one area I think he is wrong is that ESPN staffers would talk about it on air. Like most national media, their heads are so far up the P5 asses they wouldn't dare cross them. 

Agree, glad he is speaking out.  But he's a G5 program coach complaining about P5 tactics.  It would make much more impact if he was a P5 head coach.  But that's a fraternity that doesn't snitch on each other, because they don't want to burn any future maybe-needed bridges.

• Upvote 3

I will believe him whenever he names someone for the first time. Until then it is posturing in an attempt to preemptively dissuade with likely not much behind it. I mean if the player wants to leave, it will be hard to prove because they will have little incentive to show their coach their DMs, and neither will the high school coaches.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1