Could the MWC still try to make a Play for UNT and UTSA

On 6/13/2023 at 10:54 PM, GrayEagle said:

In my opinion, the AAC has the best commissioner of all the G5s. 

I have not heard all G5 Commissioners speak in person, but I have heard Aresco speak in person.  Aresco is the real deal and the AAC is lucky to have him.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, NT80 said:

Boise is the Capital of Idaho and has a population of 237,000 from 2022.

Univ of Idaho is in Moscow on the nw side of the state and a population of only 26,249.  It's very near Wash St Univ in Pullman, like 6 miles, lol.

Correct. Yeah I think the entire metro area of Boise comes in at like 800,000 I think with a total state population of less than 2 million.  So BSU definitely has the attention of most eyeballs here. 

what little IU does get it likely pulled away from their neighbor. 

in the end if they could increase their facilities they would be in a P5 school. 

• Upvote 2

A lot of Conference Expansion metrics have changed over the past 20 years.

The SEC and Big10 want the top Legacy programs.  The Pac12 wants academic schools along with new media markets.  The Big12 wants recent athletic success programs as well as more geography nationwide.  The AAC went for urban schools with growth potential.

Left out seems to be some schools with athletic success like Boise.  Also, other programs with past success but in rural areas:  La Tech, Southern Miss, Marshall, Troy, etc.  Most additions these days seem to be about media market and potential school growth over geographic location and even athletic success sometimes.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, NT80 said:

Boise is the Capital of Idaho and has a population of 237,000 from 2022.

Univ of Idaho is in Moscow on the nw side of the state and a population of only 26,249.  It's very near Wash St Univ in Pullman, like 6 miles, lol.

Yes, it’s weird location doomed it’s FBS level aspirations.  In an extremely rural state like Idaho the metro population near the school needs to be about 100k or more centrally located to build financially stable FBS program.  Have WSU so close kills the possibility of getting all the metro area behind the program.  If Oklahoma State was just across the border and near to us as SMU is, I think trying to complete at FBS would be foolish for us.  

As for the MWC prospects look dim.  These new media contracts seem overly focus on market/population density and your program’s value in that market.  I would necessarily come after UNT.  It would make much more sense to come for programs they could bring on at a discount with rivalries just waiting for ignition; UTSA, Texas State and UTEP.   UTSA & UTEP don't have another FBS team playing nearby.   Texas State playing UTSA regularly could be a really hot rivalry.  I would take 2 of the 3 if not all 3 if San Diego State leaves.  We just aren't a good fit.  However if I can get an excuse for a Hawaii vacation every 2 to 4 years I will take it.

• Upvote 1

DENTON COUNTY OFFICIALLY GOES OVER 1,000,000 IN POPULATION!  (HO HUM OR BEAT THE DRUM & SOUND THE TRUMPETS)?

The link below is for certain a positive non-distraction (like this MWC thing has become for some). Many of us will be anxious to see how UNT Athletics handles all the new faces in Denton County or do we go with yet another “ho hum” attitude & do the “business as usual” routine that many of us have mostly seen for over half-a-century up there?  
Watching the NCAA rules committee carry on like the U.S. Congress (led by one in the WH who’d get lost in a 7-11 store) & with  a group who seem to not know their caca from their oatmeal) is a real spirit-breaker for many (unless you are getting special perc$ from China, Russia, Ukraine, etc).  Texas being a Republic (once again) is for darn sure in my bloodlines.  I don’t see the U.S. as a 50 states un-unified country in light of watching Congress interact the way they do. (Where is Rod Serling to explain all this to us anyway)?
So….Hello & Good Night!🙄

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/denton-county-population-soars-past-one-million/3277555/?amp=1

IMG_8579.jpeg.3b772fc04a7dc773e8652bdc7874afa3.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:54 PM, GrayEagle said:

No, for several reasons...

We just paid millions to get into the AAC.  I believe that we would lose our entrance fee and possibly have to pay an exit fee.

The Mountain West would still be considered a lesser conference.  In addition we would have to pay another entrance fee for the MWC.

In my opinion, the AAC has the best commissioner of all the G5s.  That means we'll likely get the best advertising of the G5s and the largest payout because we are in larger markets.

The MWC is likely to lose its best franchise, San Diego State, to the PAC12.  That would drop its appeal as much as it can be hurt.

Other than UTSA our closest MWC member would be New Mexico or Air Force.  Much more travel expense!

The AAC will get the first G5 spot in the playoffs.  That's already been established.

Finally, we are busy now putting the new American emblem on courts, fields, uniforms, etc. and are too far into it to back out now.

Lastly, I don't see how the MWC will ever be an advantage for us. 

Boise State man….you’re putting SDSU over Boise State as their biggest brand? TCU made the MWC work so you can’t say a Texas school wouldn’t do well but then again we sure as heck aren’t TCU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Didn’t the PAC and BIG10 try that and it failed miserably. 

Well, lol, less than a year into the agreement UCLA and USC announced they were leaving the PAC.  So, maybe it was just a shopping trip for the BIG10?

Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12 Conferences announce alliance ...Aug 24, 2021 —“There's no signed contract, there was an agreement among three gentlemen,” Kliavkoff said. “And there is a commitment from 41 presidents and ...

Inside the stunning USC-UCLA move to the Big Ten...Jul 11, 2022  And then after a unanimous vote by Big Ten presidents and chancellors last Thursday, the league announced USC and UCLA will join on Aug. 2024

image.png