DRC: UNT women make key plays late to knock off UTEP

Brett Vito

This program only has 5 post season appearances in it's entire history.  She has coached NT to 2 of those 5, making the finals of the WCBI.  We made the WNIT for only the third time ever.  So I would ask the same question in reverse.  Who could have possibly done better? 

This roster has more new players than returners.  They have played hard and improved along the way.  I'm willing to give it every chance.  She has proven she can win here when very few ever have.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

This program only has 5 post season appearances in it's entire history.  She has coached NT to 2 of those 5, making the finals of the WCBI.  We made the WNIT for only the third time ever.  So I would ask the same question in reverse.  Who could have possibly done better? 

This roster has more new players than returners.  They have played hard and improved along the way.  I'm willing to give it every chance.  She has proven she can win here when very few ever have.

110-123 overall record at NT.   This will be her 4th losing season, along with 4 winning seasons = L, L, W, W, L, W, W, L.

Best winning season (percentage) was 13-7, a covid year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT86 said:

our past, or anyone’s past, should have minimal impact on these decisions. It should be about budget (what are we spending) and expectations (what do we need you to do).

• Upvote 2

She also, like Seth, took over a program in terrible shape.  Like Seth, she turned the program around.  I see 4 winning seasons in 5 years.  She has competed well in conference this year beating every team ahead of us except Middle Tennessee.  Yes, they have also lost a few they probably shouldn't have.  

Why does everyone on here start wanting to fire the coach ASAP? Let's try to have some continuity and build something.  How about we support the program at level that would make players want to come here.  She wins with VERY little support.  We didn't even have a college level weight room until this year.

Some on here are simply exhausting.

Show up. Pay up. Shut up.... support the teams and stop complaining about everything.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

I guess someone could look up her winning percentage compared to the last two WBB coaches, but that would require some work. Somewhere Tina Slinker is saying "I told you so".

Our spending, especially relative to what our peers are spending, should dictate expectations.  Our past can give us perspective and fuel appreciation, but IMO it shouldn't play much of a part in our administrative decisions and program goals.

• Upvote 1