Lama credits approach for helping him reach 300-win milestone over weekend

Brett Vito

Nice career accomplishment for Coach Lama and he did move UNT tennis to another level since he came aboard 17 years ago.  However we have stayed at about the same level most of those  years.  Time to move up a couple of more levels to meet the standards that have been set for UNT athletic teams.

I believe all 3 conference titles were when UNT was in the Sun Belt.  I may be wrong but I don't remember us even making the finals in any CUSA Tournament.  We need to up our game in moving to the AAC to be competitive.  Anxious to see how this year's team does in our final CUSA Tournament.  They have recently beaten weak teams, lost to ranked teams, and played some good teams well.  A good showing in the final CUSA tournament would be a nice way to end our stay in CUSA.

GMG

• Upvote 3

On 2/7/2023 at 5:58 PM, Zeleny' Orel said:

Nice career accomplishment for Coach Lama and he did move UNT tennis to another level since he came aboard 17 years ago.  However we have stayed at about the same level most of those  years.  Time to move up a couple of more levels to meet the standards that have been set for UNT athletic teams.

I believe all 3 conference titles were when UNT was in the Sun Belt.  I may be wrong but I don't remember us even making the finals in any CUSA Tournament.  We need to up our game in moving to the AAC to be competitive.  Anxious to see how this year's team does in our final CUSA Tournament.  They have recently beaten weak teams, lost to ranked teams, and played some good teams well.  A good showing in the final CUSA tournament would be a nice way to end our stay in CUSA.

GMG

all Conference Titles were in Sun Belt, he has not sniffed CUSA Title, mainly because of Rice dominating and FIU returning to previous levels. 

UNT sits a distance 3rd to 4th in Conference right now and AAC will not be any easier. 

Add in Charlotte getting Stronger, Rice always good, Memphis is Top 50, Tulane is always good. 

The next 3 matches will tell you where the team sits. Maryland is a Big 10, Liberty is very good and will be a favorite in the ASUN this year, and USF will be a AAC Team. 

video for the matches this weekend, both will be tough matches for UNT.

https://web.playsight.com/live/liberty-university-tennis/101

What a fantastic facility that Liberty has for indoors, very rare outside of the P5s

Will say this is a very young team with only 1 upperclassman who plays 4-6, so future is bright if everyone hangs around

Edited by untbowler

3 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Did they lose many underclassmen from last year's team or have a lot of graduates?  You seem to be knowledgable on these matters.  I could look it up but it is sometimes hard to tell with the covid year issues and classifications and years of eligibility.  

looks like a big turnover 4 underclassmen on last years team are gone. 

Devier was a Sr but chose to go to Ole Miss for Grad Year

Finnish girl transferred to Michigan St, playing #1S and #1D

Oyama transferred to Long Island Univ, playing #1D and #3S

Kalava not seeing anywhere

Hummel played in Fall, but no longer on roster

Ponomereva was graduate

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the information.  It looks like some talented players left to play at larger schools in Ole Miss and Michigan State.  I hope we can keep the underclassmen for next year's team.  I would imagine with foreign players there are more issues to deal with than with American players since they are so far away from home.  I hope to see them do well in the CUSA tournament.  GMG

On 2/11/2023 at 7:49 AM, untbowler said:

video for the matches this weekend, both will be tough matches for UNT.

https://web.playsight.com/live/liberty-university-tennis/101

What a fantastic facility that Liberty has for indoors, very rare outside of the P5s

Liberty_Indoor_Tennis_Center-banner.jpg

North Texas could easily assemble as many as 12 tennis courts inside our our much larger indoor practice facility for hosting events.

10 hours ago, ADLER said:

Liberty_Indoor_Tennis_Center-banner.jpg

North Texas could easily assemble as many as 12 tennis courts inside our our much larger indoor practice facility for hosting events.

UNT has never even had one indoor court, having to play at out-of-town facilities in bad weather. One indoor court, I believe is on the long-term master plan, but they really need to have about 6 to be able to hold matches indoors when needed.  Does anyone know about AAC schools and their indoor tennis facilities?  I know SMU has a very nice one but am not sure about the other schools.

5 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

UNT has never even had one indoor court, having to play at out-of-town facilities in bad weather. One indoor court, I believe is on the long-term master plan, but they really need to have about 6 to be able to hold matches indoors when needed.  Does anyone know about AAC schools and their indoor tennis facilities?  I know SMU has a very nice one but am not sure about the other schools.

You do not need a full 6, which would be great, but if you could get 3 or 4 indoor courts that would be great for team to play matches even in bad weather. Plus you could have other teams pay $$$ to use the courts for their matches and even dare say allow public to use facility for a fee when athletics not using.

Look at MTSU setup, Auburn, Memphis new facility. 

If UNT and Denton could work together a new Public/University setup would be the most beneficial.

Also note Liberty HC is Jeff Maren, former UNT Assistant, has beaten Lama 2 straight years

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Conference Mate FIIU lays a beatdown, final score was 4-0, but if played out probably a 6/1 win for FIU. 

Big gap between the Top 2-3 teams and the rest of the conference, UNT is rest of Conference.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/womens-tennis/stats/2022-23/no-45-fiu/boxscore/5605

Good AAC measuring stick match on Friday vs Tulane

13 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Plus only one of the matches looked competitive.  FIU was ranked #45 so they are a good team, but I had hoped for closer matches.

FIU is where UNT should be, think highest UNT has every reached is maybe #70. FIU just reloads every year, thankfully they are staying in CUSA.

• Coach Andy Mac changed the title to Lama credits approach for helping him reach 300-win milestone over weekend