I think it all comes down to having a guy you can COUNT ON. A guy who may or may not eventually get suspended for drugs is NOT someone you want leading a team, simply for the reliability factor.

I'll take a guy with less skill if I know he's gonna play 16 games a year, and he's not gonna put the team in jeopardy because of stupid off-the-field decisions.

I was a big proponent of Quincy's. Was.

Good riddance.

Guest e-bone

I think it all comes down to having a guy you can COUNT ON.  A guy who may or may not eventually get suspended for drugs is NOT someone you want leading a team, simply for the reliability factor. 

I'll take a guy with less skill if I know he's gonna play 16 games a year, and he's not gonna put the team in jeopardy because of stupid off-the-field decisions.

I was a big proponent of Quincy's.  Was. 

Good riddance.

And we can count on old man Testaverde to stay healthy all season?

Guest e-bone

Hey Vinny did start eight games last year for the Jets, he has a great arm and a brain maybe no legs. The jets had gone an offense that needed a mobile QB. If Parcells can give him some protection he will destroy defenses.

As for Q.Carter he was nothing more than a spare.  Glad to see him go! ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif  ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif  tongue.gif  ohmy.gif

Not sure what Henson and Romo can or can't do I just thought Carter was an idiot and seems I was right!

Chad Pennington is a mobile QB? Well, compared to Testaverde, I suppose he is. Now that Testaverde is starting for the Cowboys, Pennington won't have to worry about being the slowest and least mobile QB in the league! Hooray Testaverde!!!

Truth is, the Cowboys won 10 games and went to the playoffs with Quincy Carter at QB. This was without a running game and without recievers who could catch the ball in the last half of the season. It was also without a O-line who could give Quincy half a second to throw, and that is where his mobility saved the Cowboy's butts quite a few times. I seriously hope that the O-line is significantly better this season, because otherwise I think Testaverde may be challenging the all time sacked record.

You insult Quincy and call him a moron, but here you are celebrating that the Cowboys have a dinosaur starting and two backups who haven't taken a NFL snap in their lives. I don't know if Quincy Carter made a pass at your woman or what, but your hatred of him is undeserved, and your celebrating his drug problem is pathetic. I celebrate when teams like the Yankees fail at the sport they play, but I don't celebrate when people fail at life because of serious problems they have such as drugs.

But back in February he said he didn't like Quincy, so that means he is the next great football mind and can bring up 6 month old threads to revel in his own glory!

I am not saying I am a great mind by no means, but at times I do pay attention.

I had some other posts at the time and I caught lots of cr*p for saying that I thought Quicy was just a spare.

I am not saying I am a great mind by no means, but at times I do pay attention.

I had some other posts at the time and I caught lots of cr*p for saying that I thought Quicy was just a spare.

He wasn't a spare as a football player. He led the team to 10 wins, threw for 3,000 yards all without a running game or half an o-line. With those two in place for this year, his TD/INT ratio and passing % would have improved. But he apparently blew it off the field, which had nothing to do with him being a "spare".

But hey, you are the man, you pulled up the 6 month old thread to prove it. Congrats man, you didn't like Quincy and he screwed up his life, it must be a proud moment for you.

Man he sucked and if you could not see that you need to re-watch the games last year. And think about how many times our defense gave him an extra chance, time and time again. Watch for how many times Quincy had plenty of time to make good passes and under threw his receivers. Plus how many times recievers were barely able to get back to the ball and catch it which took lots of skill. Think about how many QBs could have made the same plays, and you should realize that almost any third string QB could have made the same plays. Think about how much of the success the Cowboys had was do to Parcells making the best of what he had to work with. (I did have faith in Parcells to do well I won a bet that the boys would win 10 or more games last season) Ask why the cowboys went out of their way to pick up more QBs if Quincy was any good. If Quincy was any good why did the Cowboys cut him instead of working with him. Oh wait good stats makes him a good QB, did you forget the rest of the team, did you remember that he had 21 interceptions to 17 TDs. Did you pay attention when the games were played or did you just read the stats?

As far a drug problem I have no sympathy for superstars with drug problems that are not related to pain killers that may have been acquired through some form of recovery. And even then I will only give them the benefit of the doubt to take care of it once.

Wow, guys...I decided to wait and post here after I had heard everything that the media had to offer today. That had to have been the most vague press conference I've ever heard (like Rick Renner said). Confidentiality sure makes it tough to pick a side in this whole thing. I can't make a judgement on Carter's personal issues. None of us really can. He apparently made some bad decisions, and he's obviously paying for them now. As a player, he wasn't great, but he showed promise. With some pieces around him I honestly thought he was going to be a successful QB. His stats last year as a whole weren't too bad, but ESPN had his game-by-game stats scrolling across the bottom of the screen, and wow. Lots of 200 yard games with 1 TD and 3 INT's. The only great plays I seem to remember him making were running plays, but I don't have a photographic memory either.

Let me say that I WAS looking forward to seeing what his 2nd full season as a starter would have been like. I'll have to trust in Jerry and Bill that Quincy's problems were no longer worth it.

Edited by PerryG2480

Guest e-bone

What's the big deal?  He was not that great and won't be a starter anywhere else in the NFL ever again, drugs or no drugs... I personally don't think he deserved the job he got.

Man, I'm thinkin we shoulda traded for Kitna in the off season.

The big deal is that the Cowboys now have a 40 year old starting and two guys who have never taken an NFL snap as backups. Defenses can limit what they prepare for now because Testaverde is the least mobile QB in the league. He won't be able to escape the pocket when he needs to like Quincy could. You may not think he deserved to be the starter, but he was the best QB the Cowboys had and gave the Cowboys the best chance to win.