Poll: College coaches vote on the assistants ready for the next step

Coach Andy Mac

Nearly every assistant coach in college football dreams of one day leading their own program. There are exceptions, but the never-ending chase for greatness on the field leads to the need for new challenges, and for many that is becoming a head coach.

The coaching carousel is spinning already because of the quickly-approaching early signing period (Dec. 15-17), and agents and coaches across the country are pushing resumes across the desks of athletic directors seeking a new head coach. Texas Tech has already made a hire, grabbing Baylor assistant coach Joey McGuire this week, and four more Power Five jobs are still open. More jobs will open soon, meaning an endless line of dominoes will fall as head coaches are hired, staffs are shuffled and assistants file from one program to another.

Fans will have big dreams of their school hiring a proven, big-time head coach to lead their program but, for many, they will instead be introduced to a hot play-caller or position coach as the leader of their program. Who are the prime candidates to watch in the near future? 247Sports sought feedback from FBS head coaches, assistants and staff administrators. Thirty-one of those coaches agreed to provide 247Sports the names of assistant coaches they believe should be considered for head-coaching jobs in the 2021 silly season.

We’ll rank the 10 highest vote-getters, along with others who received votes. Coaches surveyed by 247Sports were not limited in their responses.

Read more:  https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Poll-College-coaches-vote-on-the-assistants-ready-for-the-next-step--174968742/

8 hours ago, AsianEagle said:

Couple guys at #6 on the list seem really intriguing Joe Moorhead (Oregon’s OC) and Todd Monken (Georgia’s OC) Both had college head coaching experience and were successful. Are they out of reach for us? Do they have some other issues? I don’t remember seeing their names discussed on this board.

I think that the assumption is that they are a little out of reach for us to dream about.  But I  hope Wren is reaching out to the ones on this  list that have spent the most time in Texas recruiting successfully.  I think we should go with a defensive coordinator or an an NFL special teams coordinator.  I covet the DC from A&M on this list but I believe he is out of reach.  Ideally I would like good coach that wants to be here at least a decade before moving on.  And I don’t think any of the coaches on this list would want that.  That mindset among FBS coaches these days is just rare.  Also the NCAA and conferences are the most unstable I have ever seen.  Even if you get a program that isn’t one the elite brands winning consistently there is no guarantee you stay in the same conference or some new NIL related opportunities erode your program of its depth. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Two names in this article that I hadn't considered but would be interested in:

Jeff Grimes: OC Baylor

Chris Thomsen: Florida St. TE Coach

Thomsen will probably be available for the same kind of role after this season (TE coach).  Maybe add a "Assoc. Head Coach" or Co-Offensive Coordinator to sweeten the deal to come on home.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1