I suppose most of you know that Lance Armstrong is attempting to win an unprecedented 6th straight Tour de France this month and the 8th day of the Tour is tomorrow. The Tour de France is considered the greatest, most grueling physical test of human strength and endurance in the world and in France, it is their Super Bowl and MLB World Series all wrapped up in one. Other than a skier or two, road bike racers are God like there and the entire country follows the race during the three weeks of it's event.

Sixth straight

But to me and others it's means something also that I feel very strong about, something I hold dear to my heart. I take it very personal to hold onto and remember and respect the sacrifices so many has made in this country so that you and I can live a very good life and have the best of opportunities that exist on earth. I feel it is my personal responsibility to remind my children when it's time, of the sacrifices our forefathers and our veterans paid for us all and I tell any member of the greatest generation I meet thankyou whenever I can. What does this have to do with Mr. Armstrongs' accomplishments? Everything. Today we drove out west to meet up with friends of our family who drove down from Kansas to visit. They are all huge K State alumns as a matter of fact and follow the Wildcats every year. But their daughter told us tonight at dinner about her recent return from 10 days spent in........FRANCE and I was blown away at what she had to say. One of her summer fashion classes took a trip to Paris and said that every other frenchmen they would encounter on the street were rude as hell to them, even going to the point of actually telling them in their best english to "go home!". They got on the main subway one day and the conducter who they sat right behind made a loudspeaker announcement in french of course. No one in the group could make out what in hell he said but they all looked up and the rest of the passengers started laughing hilariously and looking at them. They said you could tell it wasn't something that was very tastefull because some nervously stopped laughing and looked away, as if they might have thought they spoke some french and were not laughing because they knew what was said. But she told us it was just unreal. You would hear people in a shop speaking english, and if you asked them something in english they all of a sudden didn't know english and would try to get out of having to wait on you. But she said the most amazing were the ones who would just blurt out, "Go Home". Now this is the third person I know of in the past several years that I have heard of the same crap happening. Maybe some of you know of someone or yourself having this happen as well? My captain and his wife traveled to Paris last summer and said they got some of the same stuff, but it appears to be even worse this year and I suspect the Iraq war and France' lack of help with fighting terrorism worldwide having a little to do with that?

I am convinced the entire country of France will never give a rats --- about the U.S. and the sacrifices and blood it gave for them...twice, nor does it care that the U.S. again takes the lead on fighting terrorism now while France lays down and hopes it goes away . It burns my @ss to even think of the thousands of soldiers buried at Normandy whose memories are cast aside so easily by the country they died for. So since France will continue for generations to exist as an embarrassed nation whose country laid down when it counted and had to have the British and U.S. nations bail it out of two big ones, yet still remain bitter about it, and since it will continue to treat the U.S. as they do now with the recent problems, then it gives me pure pleasure to now think that an american, Lance Armstrong and his U.S. Postal boys taking the last remaining thing that France as a nation can cling to with any sense of pride, the Tour de France. Should Armstrong, an Amercian win a sixth straight Tour he becomes KING(of FRANCE) of the road so to speak, and Frenchmen for generations to come will have to look up and see who owns them in each and every way including their beloved little bike race.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...