2 schools close to leaving MWC for AAC; Boise State ‘waiting and hoping’ for Big 12 invite

Harry

21 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It really isn’t that hard…

Sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship.

If we can get back to the subject at hand.  The university funds athletics for a couple of reasons.  1) to legitimize the school and make it more attractive to students, 2) to create publicity and raise the public perception of the institution, 3) to create outreach to development target (donations).

Basketball success is great.  But we need football success in this state to really achieve the goals of the university.  Talk of reducing resources  to football is a non starter.  

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Last paragraph is a major kick in the nuts…

It is but how do we know what everyone is saying is correct?  Seems like there is still a lot up in the air and frankly if the mountain west keeps balking at joining the AAC this whole thing could blow up!  And not in a good way I fear.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreen10 said:

Not to be the pessimist BUT.. while we’re in limbo (in many ways), two start up programs in UAB and UTSA are bound for bids in the AAC. Plus Texas A&M commerce, the essential community college is making a move up to D1. Why, with all our history, are we floundering?

We haven’t had 4 winning seasons in a row since I was a student.  I graduated in 1976. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Duh.  There’s nothing for SDSU in the AAC. Boise St would be gambling that they will keep up the winning ways in the big 12 until it implodes & they go PAC 14/16 with SDSU anyway.  AAC does nothing for them either.

Some of these schools are worse than some of the NCAA portal transfers who have no idea why they’re transferring.  They just are & some will go straight to the wood & wonder why. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, PlummMeanGreen said:

Some of these schools are worse than some of the NCAA portal transfers who have no idea why they’re transferring.  They just are & some will go straight to the wood & wonder why. 

I think Coach Dickey had 4 winning seasons consecutively.   As I recall.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, denton_days said:

People in the MWC have mentioned us as filling out empty spots. We also are in the short list for AAC. We're on all the radars. Quit being so down. 

I wonder if the MWC will be ultra aggressive and try to immediately pull 2 schools in as replacements for CSU and AF.

What if the MWC had UNT (DFW Market) and UTSA (San Antonio Market) in mind ... would UNT and/or UTSA be interested and accept?

I know some folks have mentioned UTSA as an AAC option... but they are $20+ million away from having an AAC-type athletic budget (and that is the lower-end of the AAC).  That's a big gap.  Rice has much more capability to raise their athletic budget to AAC-levels (if they are interested in a jump to the AAC, bringing the Houston market).

Both UNT and UTSA already have low-end MWC budgets today.

• Upvote 2

On 9/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, ForneyGreen said:

I wonder if the MWC will be ultra aggressive and try to immediately pull 2 schools in as replacements for CSU and AF.

What if the MWC had UNT (DFW Market) and UTSA (San Antonio Market) in mind ... would UNT and/or UTSA be interested and accept?

I know some folks have mentioned UTSA as an AAC option... but they are $20+ million away from having an AAC-type athletic budget (and that is the lower-end of the AAC).  That's a big gap.  Rice has much more capability to raise their athletic budget to AAC-levels (if they are interested in a jump to the AAC, bringing the Houston market).

Both UNT and UTSA already have low-end MWC budgets today.

W/ all the C-USA rumored to the sun belt, we’d be by far the biggest-budget C-USA school. Also, if we moved to MWC we’d still have the highest paid coach. I think it would be in our best interest to leave. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1