For those concerned about us losing fans

WanderingEagle

On 9/28/2021 at 12:25 AM, wardly said:

No, we desperately need new blood like you! I really  don't mean to piss on your campfire and am just adding in a bit of realism with a little history. With our bricks and sticks, financial backing from the administration and a solid fan base we now have no excuses for failure. I am cautiously optimistic that out new head coach will be the Messiah. I have to be.I will be 79 in April  with not many seasons left.

No campfire pissing taken. 😄

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:25 AM, wardly said:

No, we desperately need new blood like you! I really  don't mean to piss on your campfire and am just adding in a bit of realism with a little history. With our bricks and sticks, financial backing from the administration and a solid fan base we now have no excuses for failure. I am cautiously optimistic that out new head coach will be the Messiah. I have to be.I will be 79 in April  with not many seasons left.

No spring chicken here, either, wardly.  
I do like your words—good words. 
(By the way, Jerry Lee Lewis turned 86 years old just the other day).😆

❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 9/26/2021 at 9:14 PM, WanderingEagle said:

I'm only 24 (I turn 25 in October) and I've had countless family members and friends reach out to me about the football team this year. People who I don't regularly talk ball with. I keep seeing people say "We're losing fans" or "SL is hurting the program and turning people away"

For every fairweather that leaves when the going gets rough, trust me as someone who just attended the school (graduated dec 19) and lives in Denton still, people *do* care about UNT football, and as aggravating as it is to hear about the well of potential here, I think it's important we (the diehards) keep level heads. The high odds are that SL departs and Wren brings in somebody who can produce results. It just might take some time but we're going to get there and there are brighter days ahead.

The program is going to be fine and those 25,000+ crowds at Apogee WILL come right back the minute we start winning again.

Let’s talk in 3 decades!!!!

• Haha 3

On 9/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, Withers940 said:

Very Close but we have had more than a handful of 25k plus attended games. Not to prove you wrong because I too was curious about these numbers. Might not be the true attendance but these were tickets solds

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.02.22 PM.png

OK, 8 instead of a handful [5] of games with attendance over 25,000. My point is that after 10 years if you can count them there are not very many. I think the chart with average attendance over the last decade is more telling.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wardly said:

OK, 8 instead of a handful [5] of games with attendance over 25,000. My point is that after 10 years if you can count them there are not very many. I think the chart with average attendance over the last decade is more telling.

My post wasn't to prove your wrong because I was truly interested to see what our "true" attendance numbers were but non the less, its been very sad. Our enrollment is 40k and yet we can only get a few 100 students to attend. The DFW is full of alumni but yet we cant get anyone to attend games. I honestly think the General Admission tickets are too pricey ($20). Why not sell $5 tickets for GA? You get them in here and they are going buy concessions so there are other ways to make money. If they leave at half then they leave at half. At least they get in here and see what the atmosphere is or could be and then maybe they come back. The lack of support locally and our alumni base has blown me away the last several years. 

Maybe I drink too much green Kool Aid and cant grasp the realms of reality. I show up rain or shine to games whether they are 10-0 or 0-10. Just wish we had way more thick and thin fans out there.  

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

My post wasn't to prove your wrong because I was truly interested to see what our "true" attendance numbers were but non the less, its been very sad. Our enrollment is 40k and yet we can only get a few 100 students to attend. The DFW is full of alumni but yet we cant get anyone to attend games. I honestly think the General Admission tickets are too pricey ($20). Why not sell $5 tickets for GA? You get them in here and they are going buy concessions so there are other ways to make money. If they leave at half then they leave at half. At least they get in here and see what the atmosphere is or could be and then maybe they come back. The lack of support locally and our alumni base has blown me away the last several years. 

Maybe I drink too much green Kool Aid and cant grasp the realms of reality. I show up rain or shine to games whether they are 10-0 or 0-10. Just wish we had way more thick and thin fans out there.  

I thought Ex SMU AD Russ “Mustang Mania” Potts was spot on with masses of free tickets give-aways. My dad & I even used 2 to go see UH vs SMU during the State Fair. Mike Ford was the SMU QB that day.

Yet Pott’s famous quote was: “An empty seat cannot buy an SMU T-shirt, a coke, a hot dog, etc.  The problem was that the generation who received all the free tickets did not stick (en mass) with the Mustangs. 

I’ll be surprised if Wren Baker doesn’t come up with some kids sports teams specials for 1 or 2 home games.  
If they re-scheduled Band Day few would complain. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1