Great Article About Ekeler and Reffett

MGNation92

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmm.  We're playing a 3-3-5: Reffett's defensive background.   They're co-D-coordinators, but we hear that Ekeler is the one calling plays?   I'm not sure what's going on here...  is it cause for concern?   ...too many cooks in the kitchen type thing?

Seems like they mesh well. Reffett's specialty is secondary and Ekelers is linebackers. I believe they both saw the line as a weakness and decided on a defense that relied more on their strengths and the team's strengths. D-line is still extremely important in the 3-3-5, but it allows for more flexibility with the players they have and will have in the secondary and linebackers

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

The more I learn about the 3-3-5 the more I wonder why Mac hadn't installed something like this years ago.  It better matches the talent we typically are able to land.

I thought this defense was VERY susceptible to the run until I witnessed with my own eyes (as did you since I saw you there) at Tulane in 2013 that it was very effective.    Byrd/Jimmerson ran all over everyone that year, but we could not get anything going on the ground against them.

So, as for the scheme, I'm on board.  Just hope the coaches are good enough to get our guys in the best spots to succeed.

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

The more I learn about the 3-3-5 the more I wonder why Mac hadn't installed something like this years ago.  It better matches the talent we typically are able to land.

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought this defense was VERY susceptible to the run until I witnessed with my own eyes (as did you since I saw you there) at Tulane in 2013 that it was very effective.    

People have talked about this defense since at least the Matt Simon years.  The problem with running the 3-3-5 is you need an absolute hoss at the NT position.    He doesn't need to rack up any stats at all, he just has to occupy two blockers every single snap.

When  you see a defense run this system well it's because they have that guy at the NT.   Tulane had Chris Davenport.  He has played 23 games at LSU before transferring to Tulane.   He was all CUSA and signed a FA contract with Washington but never played in an NFL game.  In the NT game I think he had two pass breakups and two tackles for loss, along with keeping two linemen occupied.  

If you don't have a guy to keep those interior linemen off the linebackers, this system can get run on.  

I guess the questions is it easier to find two good DT's or one hoss NT?