SMU basketball transfer Keith Frazier officially enrolled at North Texas

Skipper

Reece Waddell | Senior Staff Writer

@ReeceTapout15

Former Southern Methodist University guard Keith Frazier completed his transfer to North Texas on Friday and is now officially enrolled in classes. In his most recent NCAA season, the 6’5 guard averaged 11.9 points per game in 10 contests as a junior in before leaving SMU for what were described as personal reasons.

Frazier was a prominent name involved in an NCAA investigation which ultimately resulted in sanctions for the Mustangs, including a postseason ban this year. The results of the investigation showed a former secretary at SMU completed an online course for Frazier in 2013.  SMU is 18-0 this season and is currently ranked eighth in the nation.

The Dallas native is a midterm transfer and will be the first McDonald’s All-American in school history to play for the Mean Green. Per NCAA regulations, Frazier will have to sit out two semesters before becoming eligible in December 2016. He will miss the first few games of next season, but will add to a group of players expected to return to North Texas, including junior guards J-Mychal Reese and Deckie Johnson and sophomore forward Jeremy Combs.

View the full article

I think Benford almost amazingly based on his record, potentially assembled a very strong team for next year.  He should be thanked as he is terminated at the end of this season.  This team's potential is just too good to be left to a HC that hasn't proved in four years that he can get the job done.   

Ironically, Benford should leave one of the best teams in recent years to another HC much like he inherited. 

RV may do anything, but unless this year's team really finishes strong; it is going to be very hard to justifying wasting the potential of next year's team on Benford.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

I think Benford almost amazingly based on his record, potentially assembled a very strong team for next year.  He should be thanked as he is terminated at the end of this season.  This team's potential is just too good to be left to a HC that hasn't proved in four years that he can get the job done.   

Ironically, Benford should leave one of the best teams in recent years to another HC much like he inherited. 

RV may do anything, but unless this year's team really finishes strong; it is going to be very hard to justifying wasting the potential of next year's team on Benford.    

I'd ease up there. Benford is leaving a good but flawed starting 5 with a terrible bench. We also have no idea if they just can't play defense or if it's just a terrible coaching job. 

Not quite the team he inherited.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I'd ease up there. Benford is leaving a good but flawed starting 5 with a terrible bench. We also have no idea if they just can't play defense or if it's just a terrible coaching job. 

Reese, Deckie, Frazier, Combs, and Thomas (assuming he makes it) would be a good starting lineup to inherit. The bench however is awful. Brown and Brice are the only two who have really shown they can step up. Holston earlier looked good but he has gone backwards. Ward and Pittman serve no purpose.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Didn't say they were as good as the team he inherited.  However, the team he did inherit certainly were not flaw free.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, drex said:

I hate to burst the athletic department's bubble, but Ronnie Morgan was a McDonald's All-American in the late 80's.  Another masterful job by our SID.  

Oops

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2016 at 9:01 PM, drex said:

I hate to burst the athletic department's bubble, but Ronnie Morgan was a McDonald's All-American in the late 80's.  Another masterful job by our SID.  

If it happened before Spring 2001, then it did not happen according to the great and wise RV

• Upvote 4