Now 7 head coaching posts open

Harry

Now we are the 7th in line for a coach. Great, man this sucks

Heck -- there might be 15+ openings at the end of this season!  No shortage of retread candidates for sure.  P5 Names like Frank Beamer, Mark Richt, Kevin Wilson, Paul Rhodes, Darrell Hazell, Mike London... I though Charlie was safe at UT but there are still rumblings depending on how he closes the season.

Heck even the SA natives are restless about Coker so who knows how many G5 may get clipped!

Edited by Harry

Again, we're going to have to get an under the radar guy who is succeeding. 

I've named the Co-Offensive Coordinator not named Darrell Dickey and Kevin Johns at Indiana.  Let me throw another under the radar name at you all:  Spencer Leftwich

http://www.utepathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/spencer_leftwich_833892.html

He was a coach on two of our bowl squads, then four of Tulsas, and one apiece with Pitt, Arizona, and UTEP.  He's the Assistant Head Coach for UTEP now. 

I'll be happy to have any of the big names people keep naming, believe me.  But, I'll also keep throwing out some names that might be more realistic.

My Thoughts So Far
Out Of The Game, But Experienced:  Tommy Bowden, most notably with Tulane and Clemson

Long Timer At Name Brand Program:  Jay Norvell, at Texas now, formerly with Oklahoma, UCLA, and Nebraksa; briefly in the NFL as part of Oakland's last Super Bowl staff in 2002 and 2003.

Under The Radar Guys
Chris Thomsen, Arizona State
Brad Cornelsen, Memphis
Kevin Johns, Indiana
Spencer Leftwich, UTEP

Again, we're going to have to get an under the radar guy who is succeeding. 

I've named the Co-Offensive Coordinator not named Darrell Dickey and Kevin Johns at Indiana.  Let me throw another under the radar name at you all:  Spencer Leftwich

http://www.utepathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/spencer_leftwich_833892.html

He was a coach on two of our bowl squads, then four of Tulsas, and one apiece with Pitt, Arizona, and UTEP.  He's the Assistant Head Coach for UTEP now. 

I'll be happy to have any of the big names people keep naming, believe me.  But, I'll also keep throwing out some names that might be more realistic.

My Thoughts So Far
Out Of The Game, But Experienced:  Tommy Bowden, most notably with Tulane and Clemson

Long Timer At Name Brand Program:  Jay Norvell, at Texas now, formerly with Oklahoma, UCLA, and Nebraksa; briefly in the NFL as part of Oakland's last Super Bowl staff in 2002 and 2003.

Under The Radar Guys
Chris Thomsen, Arizona State
Brad Cornelsen, Memphis
Kevin Johns, Indiana
Spencer Leftwich, UTEP

Like Leftwich but no interest in him as a HC.  Would consider him as a OL coach.  Decent recruiter actually.

Unless we hire an assistant our new coach will not be announced till season's end. There usually is about a 15% to 20% turnover rate in D1, so someone who is really sought after will wait and evaluate all his options. Historically UNT has been a coaching graveyard, so if it is hard to recruit players here [as per Dickey and Mac], then it is just as hard to recruit coaches.

• Upvote 3

Like Leftwich but no interest in him as a HC.  Would consider him as a OL coach.  Decent recruiter actually.

I agree on this completely. Good OL coach, but that guy isn't FBS head coaching material...

I still think these are the candidates that will get a serious look if they are interested in talking to us:

Chris Thomsen--former winning ACU coach and current assistant at Arizona State

Sonny Cumbie--Assistant OC at TCU, plus well-known from Tech QB days under Leach

Houston Nutt--former head coach at Boise State, Arkansas, and Ole Miss, apparently lives in Dallas

Derek Dooley--former La Tech and Tennessee head coach, now coaches WRs for the Cowboys

One guy I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet in the "young OC" group is Rhett Lashlee from Auburn. Has been under some successful run-first spread teams under Gus Malzahn. Plus according to this article(2012 so he could be making more now.) he is making 350k a year. We could easily double that

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_releases_the_salaries_f.html

• Upvote 1

I don't think other openings matter too much, unless they're at schools and conferences close to UNT/CUSA in the FBS pecking order.

Any coach who might be offered a job at a big school isn't going to take our offer just because we made it quickly. He'll wait to see what's out there for him.

A bigger factor is whether we offer more than we did McCarney. His compensation was good for a CUSA coach (fourth overall), but it seems like $1 million is where we can start hoping for a splash coaching hire.

One guy I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet in the "young OC" group is Rhett Lashlee from Auburn. Has been under some successful run-first spread teams under Gus Malzahn. Plus according to this article(2012 so he could be making more now.) he is making 350k a year. We could easily double that

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_releases_the_salaries_f.html

I am definitely down for someone who learned offense from Gus Malzahn, but did he learn how to run a program like him too? That I'd be wary of.