Salt in the wound

STE

So am at hobby airport today switching planes heading to Harlingen and I hear this guy telling his wife " can you believe North Texas," is so bad they lost to Portland state 66 to 7 and fired their coach. They suck!".  I couldn't resist.  - I told them "tell me about I'm a season ticket holder" and then I explained how we're  trying to make things better and how we recently win a bowl game.   In other words, we fired our coach because we expect better. 

It turns out they are from Denton but have only been to one game at the new stadium and really didn't know much about the program.   In fact they knew nothing of our bowl successes in 2013. They also seemed stunned that anyone would follow unt so closely.

Just an indicator of how far we have yet to go.  Humbling and depressing to say the least.  

Here's to hoping the new coach makes a big splash (name wise) reaches out to the community and turns things aroundv quickly. 

• Upvote 4

I know our loss yesterday made some national news but how would they know about that so easily and yet not have any idea of our bowl in 2013 and be that removed?  It seems a little odd to me if they're from Denton and even been to a game and not know about the 2013 bowl.

relatively young couple but they didn't look like college football fans. He was just reading news stories off his phone . . 

I know our loss yesterday made some national news but how would they know about that so easily and yet not have any idea of our bowl in 2013 and be that removed?  It seems a little odd to me if they're from Denton and even been to a game and not know about the 2013 bowl.

If you don't make any internal effort to follow a college football team, what are you more like to hear about: North Texas beating Ball State 31-27 or North Texas losing to Portland State 66-7?

If they don't look in the Denton paper, it might not be too hard. Here in Austin, I've only seen us on the sports segment three times. Once for Todd Dodge getting canned, last year when we played UT, and last night. They didn't even mention us with the other 3 or 4 bowls on 1-1-14. Only time we get mentioned here is for something negative. 

If they don't look in the Denton paper, it might not be too hard. Here in Austin, I've only seen us on the sports segment three times. Once for Todd Dodge getting canned, last year when we played UT, and last night. They didn't even mention us with the other 3 or 4 bowls on 1-1-14. Only time we get mentioned here is for something negative. 

Well, in all fairness, the only time I think of Austin, it's negative as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1