Offensive Comparison

MGNation92

I hate that Dajon felt like he had no prospects here cause he was the best we had before smith showed up. I feel like he must have known that he was not gonna play at all. the funny thing about dajon is that he made mistakes (like a young qb tends to do) bt he threw more tds in 3 games than mac and greer did in their 9 combined starts and he was on pace to have 1 more int than mcnulty in 6 games. the difference was fumbles but that can easily be fixed by teaching the kid how to slide.

• Upvote 1

Much discussion has gone into the offense over the past few weeks, and while I am under the camp that Chico is not the problem, but rather McCarney's old school offensive BS, I do think that personnel(In this case, you guessed it, McNulty) also indicates the level in which Chico is allowed to operate the offense he wants to. 

For instance:

A few things noticed here:

Most plays came out of the shotgun or pistol(allowing more time to make reads/throws)

Dajon is given the option to run based on what he sees the defensive end do(The concept of a read option)

Dajon has the arm strength to make throws outside the numbers safely

The box isn't stacked every single down

Dajon often looks to drive the ball down field rather than take the 2 yard dump off(although admittedly some plays were done with the dump off designed)

QB Stats for the above game 18/34 205 yds 3 TD's 2 INT's

QB Stats for the smu game 16/34 128 yds 2 INT's

I think the problem here is that the offense is A) Forced by McCarney to play conservative as hell B) Play to McNulty's lack of strengths. It is interesting that we "dumbed" the playbook down for Dajon while relying on his ability to run and his arm strength yet we were, for the most part, more productive offensively. Not to say that Dajon was the answer, because he obviously wasn't in the end(too many turnovers, even though McNulty makes just as many), but I would much rather have a QB and a system that allow that QB's strengths to flourish. Given the right personnel, I think the offense would look much more similar to the one above rather than the one we trotted out against smu. I don't think Canales is the problem, I think once Mac gave up and started Dajon it allowed Canales to "dumb down"(more like open up) the playbook because he had a QB with arm strength to make those throws that McNulty can't. The coaches know what they have in McNulty, we know what they have in McNulty. It's time to "dumb down" the playbook for our 4-star QB or physically talented RS Freshman QB and let the offense flourish again.

Knee-Jerk Reaction/Analysis/Dead horse beating done

You better believe Chico is to blame and Dajon did not do anything to stay the course or earn a spot, did you not pay attention?