MGB: Saturday morning scrimmage notes (updated with Mac video)

Brett Vito

I think that a lot of people have accepted that since last October/November. A few have been fooled into believing a JUCO transfer that couldn't get here until the summer had any chance to start the season as the #1 QB, but that was never gonna fly with Mac. He's an old school coach--he likes bus drivers, running the ball down your throat. Nothing more, nothing less.

McNulty is good enough to lead this team to victories over bad teams. He did that last year and he will do it this year. We will beat SMU, Portland State, and 1 or 2 others, max...

But your solid G5 CUSA teams are gonna be way too tough for him--and all you need to expect from Iowa and Tennessee is that their wired funds make it to Denton. There's no way he can compete with those two defenses with that arm. All you can hope for against the CUSA teams is that our defense and special teams make signinficant leaps forward and that the running game and short passing game somehow can work against 8-9 men in the box. Basically, pray that 2013 somehow happens again, even though we are less talented at QB, defense, and at offensive line than we were back then.

I'm still not convinced that SMU is going to be the cakewalk that everyone on here thinks it'll be. I promise you, we will be thanking our lucky stars if we can get out of their with a one touchdown victory. We aren't coming off of a HOD bowl win this time. We don't have Akunne and Lee anymore busting heads on D. The defense went into Austin last year jacked up and played pretty well except for being on the field WAY TOO MUCH due to our anemic offense that can be planted squarely on the shoulders of the two quarterbacks that played. The defense got up again for the SMU game and was able to win the game with the help of our RBs in spite of the quarterback play. I'm worried about not having a headbuster like Lee at safety.

• Upvote 2

I watched the game from last year again over the last couple of weeks, and the score was ugly but I wasn't sold.  They dropped so many 3rd and short passes, we had a fluke pick 6, and they had so many big plays called back because of penalties.  I do realize those things happen in every game, but all of it went against them that Saturday afternoon.  Both teams had incompetent QB play, so whoever fixes that position the best may win the game.

• Upvote 1

I'm still not convinced that SMU is going to be the cakewalk that everyone on here thinks it'll be. I promise you, we will be thanking our lucky stars if we can get out of their with a one touchdown victory. We aren't coming off of a HOD bowl win this time. We don't have Akunne and Lee anymore busting heads on D. The defense went into Austin last year jacked up and played pretty well except for being on the field WAY TOO MUCH due to our anemic offense that can be planted squarely on the shoulders of the two quarterbacks that played. The defense got up again for the SMU game and was able to win the game with the help of our RBs in spite of the quarterback play. I'm worried about not having a headbuster like Lee at safety.

I dont think it will be a cakewalk, but I dont think our offense will struggle against them. Our skill positions are greatly improved and our OL should be improved. I know SMU's offense will be improved, but their defense is not good enough to stop NT on a consistent basis. We should be able to move the ball with ease. If we convert TDs instead of FGs once we cross the 40 we should win this game. 

I'm more concerned about not having Akunne. It will be interesting to watch how a group of young LBs does against a running QB. I less concerned about losing Lee because I think Gray will be better in coverage. Headbusters are nice in the secondary, but not needed to have a good defense. Just play fundamentally sound and dont get beat over the top in play action.

I dont think it will be a cakewalk, but I dont think our offense will struggle against them. Our skill positions are greatly improved and our OL should be improved. I know SMU's offense will be improved, but their defense is not good enough to stop NT on a consistent basis. We should be able to move the ball with ease. If we convert TDs instead of FGs once we cross the 40 we should win this game. 

I'm more concerned about not having Akunne. It will be interesting to watch how a group of young LBs does against a running QB. I less concerned about losing Lee because I think Gray will be better in coverage. Headbusters are nice in the secondary, but not needed to have a good defense. Just play fundamentally sound and dont get beat over the top in play action.

I'm not sure if you paid attention to the offense in the last game but here are some numbers you may be interested in. We had 13 total drives in the '14 SMU game, 2 were 52 yards or longer and the other 11 were 31 yards or fewer. That isn't exactly moving the ball with ease. We had 5 punts, 5 field goals, and only 3tds. We started within 10 yards of their half of the field 7 times, yet only got 29pts out of it with only 2 of those 7 drives being for touchdowns and 5 for field goals.

Some folks around here are in for a rude awakening if SMU's offense isn't as bad as it was last year.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure if you paid attention to the offense in the last game but here are some numbers you may be interested in. We had 13 total drives in the '14 SMU game, 2 were 52 yards or longer and the other 11 were 31 yards or fewer. That isn't exactly moving the ball with ease. We had 5 punts, 5 field goals, and only 3tds. We started within 10 yards of their half of the field 7 times, yet only got 29pts out of it with only 2 of those 7 drives being for touchdowns and 5 for field goals.

Some folks around here are in for a rude awakening if SMU's offense isn't as bad as it was last year.

UNT will be playing a better QB this year (assuming Greer doesn't somehow leapfrog McNulty, and Smith starts the year #2).  Our offense wont be as bad either.

I agree that the game will be close--maybe less than 10 points. But that SMU team has a legitimate shot at not winning 2 games this year. If we lose to them, we aren't winning another FBS game on our schedule. The university better enjoy Homecoming immensely--if we lose at SMU, its very possible that our only win will be that weekend. Chico might as well quit after the game if we get beat--he will be walking dead if he gets to even stay as a coach. My guess would be he would get his walking papers very shortly after a bad loss or two.

• Upvote 3

I agree that the game will be close--maybe less than 10 points. But that SMU team has a legitimate shot at not winning 2 games this year. If we lose to them, we aren't winning another FBS game on our schedule. The university better enjoy Homecoming immensely--if we lose at SMU, its very possible that our only win will be that weekend. Chico might as well quit after the game if we get beat--he will be walking dead if he gets to even stay as a coach. My guess would be he would get his walking papers very shortly after a bad loss or two.

If Canales walked, the offense would get worse because Quartaro would take over and he is even more of a Mac guy than Chico is. If Chico goes down, put the nail in the coffin of our offense.

Edited by Cr1028

2014 Greer > 2015 McNulty?

We will find out September 12.

2014 McNulty did play 4 drives against SMU. He led 2 (26&27yd) field goal drives from midfield, one (21yd) touchdown drive from the red zone, and a punt drive (-1yd) from our own 15. How much did those 6 games he started and the offseason improve him? We shall see.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Lee was not busting heads in 2014 like he did in 2013.  Not even close.  The 2015 secondary is going to surprise many as far as coverage.  Davis, gray, marshall, fernandez, mcclain and others brings a lot more speed to the secondary.  If the front 7 can stop the run, this will be a very good defense.

We could havhave beaten SMU 70-0 last year if the starters played the whole game and we didn't call the dogs off.  It was ugly.

• Upvote 1

Lee was not busting heads in 2014 like he did in 2013.  Not even close.  The 2015 secondary is going to surprise many as far as coverage.  Davis, gray, marshall, fernandez, mcclain and others brings a lot more speed to the secondary.  If the front 7 can stop the run, this will be a very good defense.

We could havhave beaten SMU 70-0 last year if the starters played the whole game and we didn't call the dogs off.  It was ugly.

I agree. I like our back 7 and particularly the depth in most areas there. Unlike some, I'm still concerned about our defensive tackle situation. We've got a lot of bodies, but the truly big and potentially bad guys are mostly young and inexperienced. What big Abbey did a couple of years ago was a bit underrated, in that he he got great penetration, drew doubles, and was generally a disruptive force out there. We need someone to step up in the middle in a big way. I wish Sir Calvin was looking like that guy, but I just haven't been feeling that thus far.

Y'all's comments around our secondary:

wince-2.gif

We have Buyers who is not a very good cover corner, however, he's very good covering underneath stuff & helping with the run.
We have McClain who started 3 games last year and is a Sophomore, albeit, he showed some promise last year.  Hopefully he improves.

Everything else: a bunch of question marks.   We hope Gray is as-advertised.  We hope Davis/Marshall/fill-in-the-blank is ready to replace Jones.   

Lot's of hoping in there.   No question about it, the secondary should be an area of concern.

wince-2.gif

We have Buyers who is not a very good cover corner, however, he's very good covering underneath stuff & helping with the run.
We have McClain who started 3 games last year and is a Sophomore, albeit, he showed some promise last year.  Hopefully he improves.

Everything else: a bunch of question marks.   We hope Gray is as-advertised.  We hope Davis/Marshall/fill-in-the-blank is ready to replace Jones.   

Lot's of hoping in there.   No question about it, the secondary should be an area of concern.

from a coverage standpoint, the speed has improved a lot.  Buyers may not even be on the field in nickel and 3rd downs with ced and marshall looking good.

Marshall, the converted LB, and Fernandes, the walk-on...    even more hoping.  This does not concern you?

If no, screw it.  Pass me some of your Kool-aid!
Green-kool-aid-man.jpg

isnt everyone hoping?  SMU is hoping the coach can turn around a horrible team with no head coaching experience.  LA tech is hoping driskel can play.  Rice has a secondary full of inexperienced players.

I'm not saYing the secondary will be the top unit.  There may be issues against the run.  But I expect the increase in speed to pay dividends in coverage and that is a reasonable expectation.  

isnt everyone hoping?  SMU is hoping the coach can turn around a horrible team with no head coaching experience.  LA tech is hoping driskel can play.  Rice has a secondary full of inexperienced players.

I'm not saYing the secondary will be the top unit.  There may be issues against the run.  But I expect the increase in speed to pay dividends in coverage and that is a reasonable expectation.  

For sure.   I think your Rice comparison is pretty spot-on.  I'm not sure how much we're increasing speed in the secondary though.   Lee & Jones weren't slow.

Nothing unreasonable about your expectations for sure, I was just pointing out that some folks were building up the secondary as a strength.  Whereas I see it as more of a question mark for now.   It could be a strength.  I guess we'll see.

For sure.   I think your Rice comparison is pretty spot-on.  I'm not sure how much we're increasing speed in the secondary though.   Lee & Jones weren't slow.

Nothing unreasonable about your expectations for sure, I was just pointing out that some folks were building up the secondary as a strength.  Whereas I see it as more of a question mark for now.   It could be a strength.  I guess we'll see.

lee was not fast.  Very average speed.  If I had to guess 4.6 or 4.7 speed.  James Jones was about 4.5 speed.  Davis and marshall should be solid 4.4 guys.  They have above average speed for sure.  

It's all relative. I have a greater concern over the LBs.

No question about it

Wait, is this a secret Coach Mac GMG account...?