99 members have voted

1. 1. UNT's Biggest Rival?

• SMU
    • Rice
    • UTSA
    • UTEP
    • La. Tech
    • Other

Frequency is certainly one of the hallmarks of a rivalry, but how you refer to your opponent is also important. In this summary of the game between NT and ETSC in 1947 (from the 48 Yucca) we call it a "traditional grudge battle". 

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61017/m1/134/?q=east texas rival

In the 49 Yucca the 48 season is summarized. All the Lone Star conference games, and their scores, are listed. The last one is the ETSC game where we refer to them as our "traditional rival".

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61018/m1/118/?q=East Texas, Rival

I don't know what the name of the ETSU (A&M commerce) yearbook, so I could not look up what they called us.

I did a search at the portal to texas history in the Yucca in the decades of the 50's and 60's using the two words "traditional rival" . I could not find any reference in any of the Yucca's of that decade about a traditional rival. In 61, Cincinnati is called our conference rival.  

North Texas has not had a traditional rival since the days of the Lone Star conference when our traditional rival was East Texas State.

So if SMU wants to call our scheduled 10+ game series a "rivalry", then great. But knowing that they could buy out the series at any time and drop us, I'm more in favor of developing a rivalry with someone in our conference. If for no other reason than logistics, the two most practical schools are UTSA and La Tech. 

you are definitely onto something. A in conference rival would be good, because it gives the two teams something to look forward to each year. I hope someday, we could see a tradition start. Like a trophy that both teams fight for each year. A good example would be Arkansas and LSU's boot. The victor takes home the trophy for the rest of the year, and keeps it until they lose.