North Texas - NFL Placement

As we all desperately look to find answers to the reason for our extended NFL draft drought, we all point to and celebrate the recent success of Mean Green’s handful undrafted Free Agents – with Akunne, Lemon, Johnson, and Dunham joining that crew this weekend.

Yes, the NFL draft is commonly referred to as an “inexact science” and many quality players fall through the cracks but since no one will argue that one measure of a college program’s success is the job placement and preparedness of its graduates, I was curious to see how we stack up when it comes to placing players in the NFL.

Note: I realize a professional athletic career is not the primary goal/mission of the NT athletic department as I’ve long trumpeted Mac’s academic overhaul as his greatest accomplishment as HC

The below comes from the 10 year end of season breakdown of NFL rosters by school attended. I then broke things down by the current conference alignment…

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-player-numbers-by-college/default.aspx

First, a broad look at Power 5 v Non-Power 5 v FCS

gallery_3807_226_28301.jpg

Next, a look at the Non-Power 5 Per-school Average

gallery_3807_226_27510.jpg

FYI... Here’s how CUSA stacks up in terms of drafted players in 2015 – 2 of our 6 players, though, come from UAB http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/30/8526529/nfl-draft-2015-results-college-conference-recruiting-ratings

Finally, North Texas v Recruiting Competitors

gallery_3807_226_37948.jpg

Now, it's obvious we are behind our peers but I'm not sure I can pinpoint a single reason.

Is it because we target recruits who we hope have high level talent but lack the physique that the NFL covets? Is it that the culture of our program leads to the early assumption by players that hopes of an NFL career are too distant to pursue? Is it an inability on the part of the athletic department to showcase the players to scouts effectively? Is it simply that a lack of sustained on-field success sours the NFL clubs on taking a deeper look?

However it's sliced, one thing seems clear...North Texas has significant improvement to make in this area as I'm sure it becomes a liability when fighting recruiting battles each winter.

• Upvote 6

No surprise Troy does well. Their academic standards in general are low, are even lower for athletes, and have a reputation of having course tracks for athletes that are not all that challenging.

Other schools in the SBC have complained that it gives them a recruiting advantage, it was a big point of discussion when the decision to invite them was made.

I don't know why it is, but I've often wondered the same. Texas State had a DB taken in the third round and a LB taken in the fifth. At some point, these upstarts are going to start laughing at us referring to them as peer institutions.

These startups never have had to deal with the stigma of dropping out of sight for 12 years, crushing what remained of any reputation we had. By the time we moved back up, we were seen as nothing more than a "bought" program by the media and fans around here. Coaches and parents have only known us as a losing program and one that very few people care about. Texas State and UTSA don't deal with this. Neither do any of the other CUSA or SBC schools we recruit against, except for Louisiana-Monroe.

Recruiting, save for a great Dickey "stealth" class (one in 9 years) and Dodge's first one, which saw most of them leave, has absolutely stunk here in Denton. Obviously, Mac cannot believe it hasn't been easier to get kids here, like it was at USF when he went there to coach after leaving ISU.

Frankly, after the Dickey run thru the SBC and then Mac's 2013 season, I've always believed that the corner would get turned here. I'd like to think it might finally get turned if we had a string of winning seasons together while we are in CUSA and playing in Apogee, but I don't think I'd be willing to bet on it.

The late, great Richard Durrett always told me it would take a conference championship AND a win over a big time program to grab the attention of the local fans and media about UNT. I am guessing that he will eternally be correct...

The late, great Richard Durrett always told me it would take a conference championship AND a win over a big time program to grab the attention of the local fans and media about UNT. I am guessing that he will eternally be correct...

Possibly back to back winning seasons... Is that too much to ask for?

As we all desperately look to find answers to the reason for our extended NFL draft drought, we all point to and celebrate the recent success of Mean Green’s handful undrafted Free Agents – with Akunne, Lemon, Johnson, and Dunham joining that crew this weekend.

Yes, the NFL draft is commonly referred to as an “inexact science” and many quality players fall through the cracks but since no one will argue that one measure of a college program’s success is the job placement and preparedness of its graduates, I was curious to see how we stack up when it comes to placing players in the NFL.

Note: I realize a professional athletic career is not the primary goal/mission of the NT athletic department as I’ve long trumpeted Mac’s academic overhaul as his greatest accomplishment as HC

The below comes from the 10 year end of season breakdown of NFL rosters by school attended. I then broke things down by the current conference alignment…

http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-player-numbers-by-college/default.aspx

First, a broad look at Power 5 v Non-Power 5 v FCS

gallery_3807_226_28301.jpg

Next, a look at the Non-Power 5 Per-school Average

gallery_3807_226_27510.jpg

FYI... Here’s how CUSA stacks up in terms of drafted players in 2015 – 2 of our 6 players, though, come from UAB http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/30/8526529/nfl-draft-2015-results-college-conference-recruiting-ratings

Finally, North Texas v Recruiting Competitors

gallery_3807_226_37948.jpg

Now, it's obvious we are behind our peers but I'm not sure I can pinpoint a single reason.

Is it because we target recruits who we hope have high level talent but lack the physique that the NFL covets? Is it that the culture of our program leads to the early assumption by players that hopes of an NFL career are too distant to pursue? Is it an inability on the part of the athletic department to showcase the players to scouts effectively? Is it simply that a lack of sustained on-field success sours the NFL clubs on taking a deeper look?

However it's sliced, one thing seems clear...North Texas has significant improvement to make in this area as I'm sure it becomes a liability when fighting recruiting battles each winter.

Great stuff.

I wonder what the stats for the players actually making the 53 man roster?

Possibly back to back winning seasons... Is that too much to ask for?

That would sure be a nice change and a good start...

HIs point was that to really get the attention of the DFW fans and media that would give us interest and coverage requires us to have a huge winning season that includes winning our G5 conference AND beating an P5 powerhouse that college football fans and media care about. Tha's why that effort at UGa, even though we ended up getting beat pretty good, gave us more interest from the local media and fans than a win over any SBCUSA team.

• Upvote 1