Where we stand on Dec 14 2014 (verbals)

Harry

OK big day today with the QB verbal of Smith no doubt.

And we have some nice looking players at other positions. Full breakdown for today is:

QB - 1

WR - 2

TE - 1

OL - 4

ATH - 1

DE - 3

LB - 2

DB - 3

Here's the link in case you missed it:

17 total... decent mix but here's the deal. We have roughly 7-8 spots left to get to 25... We need some defensive tackles. Not one, not two but I think 3 and possibly another defensive end... very important that we address the DT spot as we have nothing verbaled at this particular time. They are always the toughest to land if you want quality but we need more size and strength in the interior defensive line asap!

I never want to see this program as weak as we were in the defensive line again!! We need to secure depth for the future!

Of the 17 we have 5 jucos... that's more than usual but not too many. It appears all 5 will be in spring training... would not surprise me to see a couple more that are fall arrivals.. you can get some big difference makers out of that pool..

Also, need to dig in and hold onto what we have...

Like how this class is shaping up though!

I agree that is where he is projected to be - and I think he will be a good player -- but right now he is sitting at 6-3, 255... my hope is that we can still land some DT guys who are size ready now.

Dutton Watson, Austin Orr -- these are DEnds who we projected to be DT's. Good players but undersized as we learned this season. Where's the beef?

With our scheme we have a 3-tech and a nose/1-tech DT. If Wegmann is legitimately 255 right now then he's plenty big enough to be a 3-tech. If he had legitimate FBS defensive end athleticism at 255 then he'd have a lot more offers than he had. He's a DT all the way.

I do agree I'd like to see us add a nose-type DT. A guy like that plus Wegmann as your 3-tech and a legitimate sized 1-tech/nose DT would be nice. Even though we're getting a new defensive coordinator, I still expect this kind of d-line alignment.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Please remind my forgetful self the gray shirts?

The two defensive linemen are Shaq Jackson and Jon Graham from DeSoto. Jackson was listed around 6'0" 260 lbs and Graham was around 6'1" 245. Both started both junior and senior year at DeSoto but neither had any other offers. Graham broke his leg early in his senior year.

The other grayshirt is Caleb Chumley from Longview Pine Tree. Chumley is listed around 6'5" 250 and is neck-and-neck with Tee Goree and Sam Miller at having our best offer lists of any commit/signee under Mccarney. He had over 10, including Kansas, Missouri, Oregon State, and Houston but those schools offered at tight end. He's coming in as a QB this spring, although his future is likely at tight end, unless he lights things up at qb.

Edited by BillySee58

I agree that is where he is projected to be - and I think he will be a good player -- but right now he is sitting at 6-3, 255... my hope is that we can still land some DT guys who are size ready now.

If Wegmann is legitimately 255 right now then he's plenty big enough to be a 3-tech.

According to 24/7, Wegmann is 6'4", 264 lbs: http://247sports.com/Player/RD-Wegmann-76049

Regardless of size, though, I'd think that they'd be looking to redshirt any freshman DTs. Hopefully Tauaalo is ready to see some PT next year.

Each season, Mac has pretty consistently offered a walkon or two a scholarship. Unless we lose additional commits, we are likely down to 2-3 additional spots in this class.

It looks like we are in discussions with some of the UAB players and are still in need of an olineman, a DT, a safety, and probably an LB.

Not sure if the SMU and KState transfers received scholarships last year or if they will count against this class.

• Upvote 1