Arkansas (11/28/14)

CMJ

Benford was a terrible hire to take over an experienced very talented team. However, I think he has shown a lot of improvement and there are a lot of fans or ex-fans that won't give him any credit. If Jones was still here, he would most likely have the same record with this schedule. I don't remember Jones' teams ever beating any ranked clubs or even playing them all that close.

Jones build the NT program up and perhaps was on the verge of taking it up the next step before he left. The facts are with the exception of at most two years, Jones didn't recruit any better than Benford. Jones also benefited from cupcake home OC schedules and seldom challenged for a conference title. What Jones was very good is peaking the team at tournament time and performing best at year end.

At this point, I am encouraged by this years' progress. I though their back court play was awful against Miss Valley, but was stellar for most of the game against Arkansas. This team has a long way to go, but at least there is hope that they could be much better than most anticipated.

Wait until conference. You will be disappointed. I don't disagree that Benford has gotten better, but the only way he had to go as a bench coach was up. He was terrible at coaching his first year with a butt load of talent. He tore this program down. The fact that he has managed to return us to 2005 JJ levels is meaningless.

It was a terrible hire by a bad AD that refused to admit and fix a mistake. A hire that caused this program to go from being in a position to join the relevant basketball mid-majors to reverting to very dark times in our history. The magnitude of the opportunity lost should never be forgotten or forgiven.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Who is this person who enjoys giving facts negatives? At least facts that have come straight form a source.... I a. Just going off the program that was given out at the game.

Also when I asked chris jones who was the best player two years ago he said TJ Taylor is a baller and the best player on the team.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

According to the program at the last home game said that going into Arkansas we had never beaten a top 25 opponent and averag losing to them by 28 points.

I believe it was we had never beaten Arkansas and lost by an average of 28. We beat ranked teams in the old MVC days.

• Upvote 3