Scrimmage Today

BIG DAWG

I am goingto get roasted, but I am going to through it out there, and I have a feeling that I will get some backing on this one...

Phillips may be the #4 QB on this roster. Tune could play his way into the #2 role, but in all honesty will get redshirted. Woody is going to get himself killed. The reports about Wilson are 100% true. The kid will be running down the SIDELINE, can easily tip toe out at any time before contact, and then he turns up to get an extra 6in. All of this during a SCRIMMAGE! Not to mention all the hits he takes on the option read when he keeps it. It did seem as if he didn't keep the ball all that often though, and I was talking to Zeke and we were wondering if maybe it was called a "give" in the huddle to make sure that Wilson would take less hits.

In crunch time at the end of the game is one thing, but this is a SCRIMMAGE, don't take the hit. We all know you are fast, have good moves, can make people miss, DON"T take unnecessary hits at a SCRIMMAGE. That said, if he could get some common sense about when to take his hits, he has some ability. The guy can absolutley fly, and has great moves

Meager did not play.

Phillips as nice as I can put it, just didn't look good at all. There were sometimes when the reciever ran the wrong routes, but all in all he just didn't look good at all. His biggest knock is that he has NO mobility, none. There would be times a guy would break through the line of scrimmage and Tune and Wilson would make the guy miss to buy some time, or turn it up field, but Phillips does not have that ability. He can throw the deep ball, but falls in love with it and throws it into coverage way too many times. I think 3 picks. The accuracy he displayed in the Spring Game was not there today.

I know that a lot of poeple love Phillips, and I know that he is a great kid, but I just don't think he is a starting college QB. Even last year when he put up some numbers, alot of those numbers were against zone coverage later in games when teams were trying to not get beat deep, so the coverage was more loose.

Tune, is going to be something. The guy has QB ability and shows it. He ran with the second team, but I would love to see what he can do with the #1 offense when they go up against the #1 defense. The kid just has "IT". He is mobile enough, not like Woody, but has the ability to avoid the rush, and even turned it up field a little.

The kid I really enjoyed watching today, and I think all of you will eventually love watching is Victor Gill. This kid was awesome at TE today. He had a catch over the middle took a pretty good knock, held on to the ball, and just got right back into the huddle. The catch was not on a really good throw either.

Issac Thomas did not play

Phillip Graves did not play

Willie Ransom did not play.

I joked with Zeke, I think our defense is the best in the nation because we caused all kinds of fumbles today. In reality, I think the defense is really going to ba a lot better this year. Maybe not like the Green Curtain days, but a big improvement form last year. In the Green Curtain days we had a few NFL players on that side of the field though.

Other players of note...

Kelvin Drake - a really big kid, road grader type

The OL from Allen, I forget his name, but he is REAL quick for 340

Quinn was QUinn, caught everything that was around him, good throw, bad throw, and even trew a TD to Muzzy.

Here is the other thing of note with 4 QB's we can have a rotation that sees each QB play a quarter biggrin.gif

Also of note, Darell Dickey did something at this scrimmage that I haven't seen at any of the scrimmages I have been to,

UP DOWNS BABY!

When you messed up your unit was being punished for it, and I loved it! I like discipline, and maybe we are starting to see some injected into this team.

Good to see.

Also J-Mo did play but sparingly.

I didn't see Prince out there at all.

I have to say that Woody showed a lot of accuracy today. He threw some pretty passes over the middle. Aside from the concerns that Big Dawg expressed (I turned to John Denver and said the same thing that BD said about that "6" extra" run, when Woody should have just gone out of bounds) , I think he's making a serious move to start.

New players and new positions.

As I mentioned earlier this week, Ronnie Hull has changed jerseys (now wearing #9) and playing FB. I also speculated that this might mean that James Mithchell could be moved back to RB....sure enough I was right. James Played a series and ran well......until he hurt his ankle.

New Player, wearing #21 in white is Tony Taveras, 5'11" X 225, Freshman HS, from Groesbeck. On the roster that was handed out before the scrimmage, he was listed as a linebacker, but they were playing him at RB during the scrimmage. He was getting some pretty good yardage, but kept fumbling the ball.

Where the hell has this young man been? Late qualifier like Ross?

I didn't see him playing, but Freddy Giddens (6' X205 DB) Jr. from Irving, is wearing #48.

Overall the OL is looking bigger and better.

The reports about Wilson are 100% true.  The kid will be running down the SIDELINE, can easily tip toe out at any time before contact, and then he turns up to get an extra 6in.  All of this during a SCRIMMAGE! 

In crunch time at the end of the game is one thing, but this is a SCRIMMAGE, don't take the hit.  We all know you are fast, have good moves, can make people miss, DON"T take unnecessary hits at a SCRIMMAGE.  That said, if he could get some common sense about when to take his hits, he has some ability.  The guy can absolutley fly, and has great moves

Maybe it's not a lack of common sense. Maybe he is trying to prove to the team and the coaches he'll do whatever it takes to win. Maybe he's trying to be a leader and show you should go all out on every play no matter what.

Some one once said: "You play like you practice." Half ass it in practice and you'll half ass it in games.

If we're that concerned with Woody taking hits in practice or scrimmages put a red jersey on him.

Maybe it's not a lack of common sense.  Maybe he is trying to prove to the team and the coaches he'll do whatever it takes to win.  Maybe he's trying to be a leader and show you should go all out on every play no matter what. 

Some one once said: "You play like you practice."  Half ass it in practice and you'll half ass it in games. 

If we're that concerned with Woody taking hits in practice or scrimmages put a red jersey on him.

There's also a thing called "playing smart". You fight for six extra inches if it's 4th and inches. But otherwise you got out of bounds and live to fight another day.

Maybe it's not a lack of common sense. Maybe he is trying to prove to the team and the coaches he'll do whatever it takes to win. Maybe he's trying to be a leader and show you should go all out on every play no matter what.

Some one once said: "You play like you practice." Half ass it in practice and you'll half ass it in games.

You can't play if you have broke legs and a concussion. I understand what you are syaing, but you have to protect yourself, going all out and risking your health are different things.

Now a RB is a different story, I want them turning it upfield all of the time, but not my QB.

The ball hit the turf waaaay too many times today. Really frustrating. Woody played well today. But the stories on him taking too much contact are true. Tailing right on his heals was Tune, who played pretty well I thought. Matt Phillips...........he played pretty poorly. I have seen him play much better than that, but he just couldn't get it together today.

Victor Gill appeared to be the best TE on the team - both blocking and catching.

Some guy named Quinn is good.

Edited by Zeke

There's also a thing called "playing smart". You fight for six extra inches if it's 4th and inches. But otherwise you got out of bounds and live to fight another day.

Agreed. I'm just trying to look at it from the perspective of a kid who is fighting to win a lot more than a 1st down.

BTW - Thanks to all for the reports. Illuvius do plan on a de-brief as well?

Edited by adman

Is there any thought of using him as a Wideout?  It is sounding like Meager and Tune are going to be 1 and 2 on the depth chart and that Woody is an athlete that we need to use on the field in some other capacity.

Woody is fine where he is. We have plenty of talent at wide-out.....and as it turns out TE.

Edited by SilverEagle

It is sounding like Meager and Tune are going to be 1 and 2 on the depth chart

Tune played really well today, and I heard he played really well Wednesday, but I would be surprised if he didn't redshirt this season.

Could he play? All signs point to yes, but we have to realize this is fall practice. When I said that he could be playing for the #2 spot, my point was that he was playing like that today.

He is going to be good in my opinion, but with the 3 we have right now, I think a year to redshirt would make him even better next year.

Or hell, play him and see what happens. As of right now it is hard to tell. I would like to hear from someone who stayed longer than 11:30, when I left, to see if he got any time with the #1's

Is there any thought of using him as a Wideout?  It is sounding like Meager and Tune are going to be 1 and 2 on the depth chart and that Woody is an athlete that we need to use on the field in some other capacity.

I wouldn't say that. Woody seems to be in the QB mix for sure. If, however, he isn't the starter, I would like to see him in some fashion on the field. Tune is playing well ahead of where his experince says he should be playing. I am not sure DD will move him up the depth chart that quickly though.

Edited by Zeke

One word about the offense today, besides offensive, it was UGLY. It was mostly Jmo-less. I think he played one or two plays then sat the rest of the scrimmage. Robertson did some good things however at RB and scored twice on a about a 10-yard run and about a 40 yarder. But it took at least an hour for the first score. A few long drives then a turnover would end them. Still some muffed snaps.

Wilson and Phillips got the vast majority of snaps and Tune a few series with the second teamers. I could not name a starter yet. All threw picks and the only TD pass I recall was Phillips to Quinn about 20 yards. Phillips throws a nice ball and has command out there but was not as accurate today and sacked several times. Wilson must have ran 15+ times with the ball...make him a RB if he likes to carry it that much. He won't set in the pocket and still likes the contact too much. No long completions that I saw from him; many out throws, from all QBs. Tune is raw but has good size and poise for a freshman. I don't see him playing this year yet.

More later, it was hot just watching, I can't imagine how the players felt after 4 hours in the heat running. The Defense looked dominate at times, but then it's only against our offense. Mucho frustration watching some things. sad.gif

Robertson did some good things however at RB

That is no joke this kid has speed, and some incredible moves. He gave this shake on one of his longer plays that had everyone commenting in the home stands, and I am sure the same thing was happening on the student side.

I was at Fouts this morning for fumbled snap practice. Man, we are gonna be great! We fumble the snap about once in every three snaps regardless of who the QB is. What bowl does the team with the most fumbled snaps go to?

Honestly, I couldn't really see anything at the scrimmage good or bad because all of the fumbled snaps were so dang distracting. None of the 3 QBs was effective. It seemed like the only first downs came on penalties or the occasional pass to JQ. Robertson got most of the reps with the first team. He looked alright.

One bright spot...a lot a plays run from the shotgun with Phillips at QB. I'm glad to see the shotgun incorporated into the offense. I hope we still see it once the real games start.

Edited by kj86

Gee, where have I heard the whole "Phillips takes too many sacks" comment before? Oh yeah, all of last year.

And I'll ask again...why not let Woody play and if he gets himself hurt bring in the next guy. Better to have the potential for explosiveness back there than to bypass it in fear of an injury.

Gee, where have I heard the whole "Phillips takes too many sacks" comment before?  Oh yeah, all of last year.

And I'll ask again...why not let Woody play and if he gets himself hurt bring in the next guy.  Better to have the potential for explosiveness back there than to bypass it in fear of an injury.

I agree, though the smart thing for Woody would be to learn how to play so his chance of getting hurt is diminished. Lots of QB's have learned to do this.

I wouldn't not put him back there in fear of him getting injured, I would just rather him be smarter if he indeed is the #1.

If he ends up beating out Meagerm so be it, but he has got to stay healthy if we wants to play, and he isn't going to stay healthy long if he keeps this crap up.

That being said, if he moves the chains, put him in there. I think Buff64 said it best today at the scrimmage, "if Peachy is the best we have at QB, put him there if he moves the ball!"

(paraphrased)

Why is everybody saying WW will get injured? To me the most vulnerable Qb is the one who sits in the pockt to long. Everybody says Phillips gets sacked too much, i would rather have a guy get hurt 40 yards down feild than a guy who gets sacked. A hit is a hit. I know Woody and he is not fighting for 6 in. he is fighting for a TD.