Phil Steele on Southern Miss

LongJim

SIAP:

8. Southern Miss will go from 0-12 to a bowl game.

Ellis Johnson was let go after his one season as head coach resulted in an 0-12 record, but this season, new head coach Todd Monken steps into a great situation. The Golden Eagles have one of the more underrated defenses in the country with nine starters back, and, even though the nonconference schedule is a nightmare with Nebraska, Arkansas and Boise State all on the road, the Golden Eagles avoid the two best teams in the C-USA West (Tulsa and Rice) and get home games against C-USA newcomers FIU, North Texas, Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee. I will call for the Golden Eagles to improve their record by six wins and qualify for a bowl this season.

• Upvote 1

You think they miss Jeff Bower.

Was it kinda like an R.C. Slocum kinda deal where they thought they could do better with someone else only to watch it fail miserably?

Well, after Bower, they hired the guy who is at UNC now. And they were very good under him. It just looks as if the guy they brought in was just in way over his head. They will be better, but I don't think they will go from 0-12 to 6-6 in one year. I think a 3-4 game improvement would signal a bright future again in Hattiesburg.

• Upvote 1